Aztek airbrush nozels.

james424

SO my dear Wife bought me, for my birthday, a wonderful Aztec airbrush set for which I am eternally appreciative... However, after a bit of research I have not been able to find out what all the nozzles shown in the image/image link are for. Not wanting to use something that someone else may be able to make better use of I've held off spraying with each nozzle to find what it does, so if anyone can enlighten me as to which nozzle does what, that would be great.

IMG_0911.jpg

Cheers Guys,

James.

Also know that you can *carefully* dis-assemble them (removing the spring and needle) for in-depth cleaning -this will almost certainly be required, especially if you use acrylic paints! Simply pull the needle and spring out of the back of the unit; do this very gently. They are a push-fit, with guidance ridges if memory serves, but this is not obvious from the 'outside'!

HTH.

I now use two H&S brushes, but I started with an Aztek and loved it.

You'll only need a couple of nozzles, I mainly used the the Gray and the buff coloured ones.

I use tamiya paints so after use I used to leave the nozzle soaking in tamiya thinners in a large tic tac container.

The nozzles are pretty easy to dismantle with care so I'd break them down before soaking, the small springs are what tend to clog up so use a brush to give them a good clean after soaking.

Used one for many year, and to be honest, kind of miss the ease of use. So keep with it, mine sat in the cupboard for two years nearly, till I plucked up the courage to use it, I never looked back ( Ted Taylor RIP) Gave me a lot of help and advice, and I achieved some great results using the aztek.

So keep with it and good luck

Dave

I've got the same set and only ever use the tan one, which is the fine line tip. Good advice with the nozzles, I take them apart and clean them after every session. One important thing with regards to this airbrush. After time, your trigger will start to stick and you won't be able to pull the trigger back when it dries out after spraying. Whatever you do, don't force it or you will snap the little plastic part inside that connects the trigger to the back of the plunger that pushes on the back of the needle and spring assembly in the nozzles. The sticking is caused by paint seeping into the body of the airbrush, sticking the plunger to the insides. To free the plunger, I usually put a few drops of thinners down the front of the body where the nozzle screws in and wait 15 minutes for it to free up.

Eventually though, you'll find that your nozzles don't close off completely when you have the roller to the left (closed). This is caused by said paint build up in the body and you can either send it back to the manufacturer to repair if under warranty, or I think they will service it for a price. However, if you're like me and impatient to wait a few weeks and like to repair things yourself, I can post a full guide with pictures on how to disassemble the airbrush body and clean it. This will void your warranty but if you'd like to see it, just say so.

• Like 1

I've had an Aztec since 91 ish. I replaced the (buff) fine line nozzle a couple of years ago, I damaged the tip somehow, never had any problems with the airbrush body.

I have the turquoise, grey, and brown splatter. Never taken them apart because I didn't need to. I used to soak in Amberclens but I ran out of it and at the moment use Cillit BANG! (Lime and Grime!) but the orange stuff is just as good. I spray it through (MASK,MASK,MASK) then put water through after. I soak the body in it and then a good wash out with water.

I forgot..........Use the red tools you get to scrape and "ream" the muck out 1st. AND cotton bud the cups and a drill the correct size for the cup tube and carefully turn it with your fingers.

I have the big 2 litre Coke,or similar, cut 4/5, around circumference, small holes an inch up from the bottom (this stops air coming back through the top) bottle put in some kitchen towel or tissue and have it set in an old kitchen flip top bin and spray the cleaners and water into that. Next to nothing gets out, the tissue soaks it up, the holes are high enough to stop a leak of any liquid the holes allow the air to exhaust and its in a bin!

I still wear a mask though while doing all that cleaning/spraying out.

Brad, that guide would be a big help just incase i have any drama's. I'm not a heavy user of my air brush but I'm sure it may clog in time. Zero/bzn 20 thanks for the advice, I'll make a few notes and put them in the box with the air brush ready for when i clean it.

Cheers guys.

Warning: doing this will void your warranty.

Take a screwdriver and pry apart the body. It's just pushed together not screwed, but be careful as you can eaisly scar the plastic.

1.jpg

The insides are one again just pushed into place, although the is a lip that runs under the front metal cover.

2.jpg

3.jpg

The guts from the top.

4.jpg

Pull off the valve. It is not glued to the blue air hose, so just pull back on it.

5.jpg

Take off the trigger. The red bit is spring loaded so do this gently or the plunger will go flying off.

6.jpg

Slip the plunger away from the trigger. (Note that I took this picture after I had cleaned it).

7.jpg

Clean off where the arrows point to. This is what causes the trigger to stick or not close off properly. Once you're done, reassemble the airbursh but be careful not to pinch the air hose at the rear of the body when you are closing it up. It slips out of place eaisly so just be careful.

8.jpg

• Like 4

Brad

How many times have you had to do that? Thanks for the info, its not happened to me yet but you never know!

• 4 months later...

Had mine over 10 years, never done anything other than spray through airbrush cleaner.

I always used to use the grey general purpose nozzle. However after doing some more research I use the grey and white acrylic nozzles.

I find the white hi flow great for thicker paints like primer.

Occasionally I see complete nozzle sets come up for sale on US sets and I just buy another set. When these are on offer they are incredibly cheap. In fact my first set which is the metal body in wooden case was in offer in Walmart for something like £30.

I use Iwata airbrushes now but started off with the Aztek airbrush set and really liked it. I usually used the Tan tip, sometimes the grey and occasionally the black one. I had to send the airbrush back once as the trigger went all sloppy. It was repaired free of charge but was never the same again which was one of the reasons I moved on.

Duncan B