Cheers Neil and David. This is a year on from when I made these I have spent years reading up on resin and molding as I have many long term goals to achieve. Thanks goes to Cheshiretaurus who give me some great pointers last year. As some of you know I did a lot of experimentation last year. It was all totally worth it and if your looking for good resin and rubber etc thats not too price check out DWR Plastics. Great service.

I need some lessons in Decal making and Photo etch making as I would like to make some decals for this plus some etched wheel hubs and possibly more such as Airbrakes etc.

Cheers Rob :)

• Like 1

Well my molds are ready for the intakes. I am not happy with how the engine faces come out so I have made a second mold for them But as for the intakes only time will tell how well they have come out. I am hoping they will be ok as it seems to have gone well at this end. which was the deep end. The only bubbles forming around the turbine blades /stakes.

I made them a partial cut mold at this end to aid removal. I am now waiting on the Resin to arrive.

229B2756-D48D-4B74-956F-AA8AED2D5C4C_zps

Mold construction usind lego and bluetak.

005B1F8A-AF33-4F0B-9B62-3A94C94EA34E_zps

A5BDA06A-7D73-4C3C-AC62-FCC658EF9541_zps

15106181-77B4-492A-84F7-5A093009CE3F_zps

15106181-77B4-492A-84F7-5A093009CE3F_zps

So now more waiting but heading in the right direction :)

• Like 3

Cheers mate I dunnow about the next level but hopefully it will enable me to get this Vulcan finished it deserves it as it's clearly been waiting decades to be so done. I wonder who made it initially sometimes. I wonder if this might make it to Cosford I hope so. It would be nice if I can get the Lancaster done too to go with her.

• Like 1

Well I mixed that one so it would cure quicker wit a ratio of 100:4 Its gone well but it is a bit too thick and I have got one perfect mold in the middle by the looks of it. I think I need to find a thinner RTV this stuff is great but it is thick.

61B45E2A-F933-4623-9E4E-627B87675983_zps

A6BBA069-5A9F-4A54-8163-444C4747AE3D_zps

I have some spare old resin which I will probably use for the first casts as the 1 one always seems a little iffy.

Rob :)

Well I had some left over resin this is unfilled and I find it a bit bubbly for my liking. The filled will arrive tomorrow hopefully but I thought I would have ago to test the molds out none the less.

C77F7E81-EC3E-4C45-B66F-EBFCEF43CA8C_zps

And It worked ! :frantic:

A1A53A6A-B5AF-47B5-B8C1-E298938D2863_zps

691F2668-56DB-454B-9091-12B167008471_zps

F47D23E7-C0C1-4255-8E8C-8840C4E335F0_zps

3F0AB9A3-3B32-4762-9B10-EFA6131A6470_zps

So time to mix up some more resin and do another pair me thinks :):work:

• Like 10

Another Lego fan here! Looking good Rob and great results.

BTW have you seen that they're selling Plinth Mounted XH558 Compressor Blade - Rotors? £75 for a bit of history?

Cheers for that mate. I have not got the cash for it at the mo but it would be nice to have a piece like that one day. My Dad would like a nose section for the Garden :)

• Like 1

And with 2 more fresh our the mold and the other 2 resting in the Vulcan I am a happy bunny, The engine faces are not great as I said this resin is not the best and too bubbly, The filled resin should sort that out.

Now I have duplicates I can try using 2 of each to gain more symmetry perhaps.

6764FA77-D41D-4CEA-B954-79D2E1EB409D_zps

• Like 6

Here is a Quick mock up using the clone stamp in gimp and a Blur tool, To get a look at how they might look once filled and blended in. There will need to be some reworking of the boundary layer fences as these are too close to the fuselage and not thick enough or close enough to the intake opening. Milliput can easily sort that though. :)

Sorry for the rough photo but it gives an idea.

inatakes%20_zpsilqc4d22.jpg

• Like 3

Casting looks good! Now you will have to find some more Frog Vulcans to fit all the intake trunks to...

Regards,

Adrian

Cheers. Well I have a couple and they could come in for anyone else out there who has a Frog Vulcan. They could also be adapted to the Lindberg perhaps. I have the Camo Frog to restore too.

Plenty of fun lies ahead now as I can get on and build them now.

Great work mate, they look brilliant!

I think I might have to try a little casting looks very interesting plus your never too old to play with lego!

Yours aye

Iain

Cheers Iain. You should have ago its fun, I am still new to it I started this time last year. The inspiration being to cast these intakes. However I made a practice item to cast first not wanting to damage these. Since doing so that took me on a long road that was very fun and turned into another project which I will post here sometime.

There is a lot you can do with it. There are many types of resin with many properties. Some are ridiculously strong others way too fragile. You can colour them, Even make them look like real metal with fillers. You can even make growable or shrinkable molds too now. So you can make anything any size you want.

Check out DWR Plastics its a great place to start as Is smooth on which has alot of info.

Be careful with your eyes and hands. Also lungs sometimes its nasty stuff to work with but well worth it in the end.

All the best Rob :)

• Like 1

Lovely stuff Rob, they look the part !...great to see you getting back to these, you know I'll need a couple, it'll be the finishing touch to a major overhaul of the kit. Btw it's not just the boundary layer plates that need moving, it's the whole side wall of the intake !...it sticks too far out, (being part of the wing I guess to simplify construction)., but beware sanding it back too far as the plastic becomes very thin and in danger of burning right through...ask me how I know ! Look forward to seeing a pair..... :winkgrin:

• Like 1

Lovely stuff Rob, they look the part !...great to see you getting back to these, you know I'll need a couple, it'll be the finishing touch to a major overhaul of the kit. Btw it's not just the boundary layer plates that need moving, it's the whole side wall of the intake !...it sticks too far out, (being part of the wing I guess to simplify construction)., but beware sanding it back too far as the plastic becomes very thin and in danger of burning right through...ask me how I know ! Look forward to seeing a pair..... :winkgrin:

Hi mate I am glad you approve though they are far from perfect but better than nothing and a good starting point to improve if desired.

Your quite right the wall is too thick and I had opted to overlook this and move the boundary plate thinking this a fair compromise however if it can be done another way fair enough but like you feared this would be a mod too far. I'm still debating adjusting the fin spine. How far do we go before its not really a frog vulcan haha, I really need to find how to scale images to print exact scale as you know I want to make the other one a B1a. No worries about you getting a few After all the help you have given me with stuff it's never a problem. If you want some more scrap resin and guitar strings I can send that too.

It will be great to see your frog and mine together on the Bomber table in the near future along with the Lanc and b1a plus your victors we might as well start the 1/96/100 sig. I'd actually like that :)

Resin should be here tommoro and should give better results than this stuff. Now this stage is over the real fun can start ;)

Moulds looking good Rob, Fingers crossed I can see this at Cosford.

Hi mate sure you can if I get it finished by then. It would be great to meet you as I'm not sure if we have met, I'm gradually getting to know people off here but it's hard to remember everyone till I've spoke a few times. Thanks very much for your initial advice and time explaining a few things too me it has been very helpful I have actually now been casting resin for a whole year as it was this time last year I started this and made a test master to mold in practice for this which had lead to a longer term new project. So it's odd I left this one so late but. I might bring her in an unfinished state yet who knows. :)

Rob, those intakes look superb mate, thank you for a great tutorial, really useful :)

cheers Neil no problem mate the reason I always post each little stage is so it may help others as I'm always mindful of others who have helped me improve and there is always something to do better. I'm new to resin still but that's more the reason to post. I'm happy to experiment in front of people as if I'm new to it it shows others can do it too and if I do good or bad it only serves as a lesson too. I remeber how scared off resin I was but now I dont know what I was worried about. It does cost it can't be wasteful but you learn and for that it's worth every penny. Always happy to help if I can. You will have to teach me how to airbrush smoke trails with such realisum.

;)

Be a bit ironic if they come packed with a bag of silica gel in the box.

HAHAHA That it would mate I thought it looked like it had been treated rough, so it's from that awful incident that should never have happened. What a way to get some money back :)

Cheers all Rob :)

Edited by robvulcan
  • Like 1

Great work on those intakes Rob. A really nice job, well done buddy and thanks for the excellent tutorial.

Cheers John it's been a long journey but well worth it injust can't believe I got it this far from some scraps of card initially. It's fun to try but hard to see it though to the end but really got me excited about scratch building :)

very cool work dude!

Cheers Val glad you like it mate :)

Nice casts! Are those just gravity poured? No special equipment to add pressure etc? Good job on that Rob.

What brand/type of rubber do you use?

Cheers mate yep just gravity poured very slowly. I use DWR plastics exclusively for rubber and resins. They are a new company started last year when I started with resin. Danny who runs it is a nice chap and the service and advice is great. I favour the Filled resin and its very robust stuff. They do fillers pigments too and some black resin. Also a Rubbers and the price is great too. My mate who used to do molds for the national trust is now using them after being very impressed with the consistent good reaults ive been getting.

The filled is also not prone to bubbles these where the Unfilled resin which is good but needs degassing really.

However as you can see it still works but it's a bit see through.

They do metal pigments too so you can make it look like metal.

Great shop well worth your time.

• Like 1

Well I just got back from work and my Resin has arrived. So I have just put some in the molds cooking off now. Hopefully they will come out ok again. I am going make a few of these for my Vulcans and Andys one. But If I have enough resin left I will bring a few with me to Cosford so If anyone wants to buy any for their Frog Vulcan no problem.

324AF1A2-98FD-4DF6-9E20-C0E625BA770A_zps