RAAF Meteor F8 A77-851 "Halestorm" (MPM 1/72)

Procopius

I feel a bit ripped off because I have the Extrakit boxing of this Meteor, and it didn't have resin RPs. :weep:

Don't... The Xtrakit boxing costed less than half what the "Halestorm" boxing did at the time I bought BOTH :banghead:

Those little resin thingies and Oz decals could have been an EXTRA Xtrakit boxing of the Meatbox 8 :winkgrin:

I'd love to do a Meatbox carrying bombs or naplam, but don't know of any good images of them doing so, or what the pylons looked like. Or even if they used US or UK bombs.

I'd love to do a Meatbox carrying bombs or naplam, but don't know of any good images of them doing so, or what the pylons looked like. Or even if they used US or UK bombs.

I think I've seen Korean War pictures of the Oz Meatboxes loaded for ground attack here at home... I'll check my resources & come back to you - hopefully soon! ;)

• Like 1

I bought some Pavla sets of RPs for mine. 4 in a set for £2.40 off Hannants. RPs are moulded one piece, and are pretty decently fine. The mounts are in pairs on a block.

I've seen photos of the 8 with RPs but not with bombs or naplam.

There is a 3D walkaround of Halestorm on youtube. You will need red and blue glasses. I would say just get some "ordinary" 3D glasses from the cinema, and use clear red and blue paint appropriately (or use cellophane - if you can still get that stuff)

I bought some Pavla sets of RPs for mine. 4 in a set for £2.40 off Hannants. RPs are moulded one piece, and are pretty decently fine. The mounts are in pairs on a block.

I've seen photos of the 8 with RPs but not with bombs or naplam.

In p.26 of WingMasters Hors-series #18 - La Guerre de Coree 2 1951-53: L'Ere Des Jets. Wingmasters ©2010 French lang. ISSN 1636-9262 there's a picture of two armourers mounting a 227 kg. bomb on a 77 Sqn. Meatbox 8- (Korea 1953) :analintruder:

Some resources on Australian Meatboxes in the Korean war:

METEOR 'BRITAIN’S FIRST JET-POWERED COLD WAR WARRIOR EN.lang.

Aeroplane Monthly ICONS series Published by Kelsey Publishing Ltd. Printed at William Gibbons & Sons Ltd

ISBN 978-1-907426-47-6

pp.90-95

***************************************************************************************************************

Gloster Meteor - Modellers Datafile #8 (R. Caruana & R. Franks 2004) SAM Publications EN.lang.

ISBN 0 9533465 8 9

p.78 rocket rails construction details

***************************************************************************************************************

Gloster Meteor - Warpaint series #22 (T. Butler) Hall Park Books Ltd. EN.lang.

ISSN 1363-0369

p.70 pic A77-510 armed - leaving Japan for Korea

Korea - The Air War (J. Nicholls & W. Thompson 1991) Osprey Aerospace Osprey Publishing Ltd. EN.lang.

ISBN 1-85532-115-7

pp.111-114 (PICTURES)

WingMasters Hors-series #18 - La Guerre de Coree 2 1951-53: L'Ere Des Jets. Wingmasters ©2010 French lang.

ISSN 1636-9262

pp.22-27 photos/ref. 28-33 WIP/profiles

VERY NICE RESOURCE for Korean War modellers :)

Air War Over Korea - a Pictorial Record. (Larry Davis 1982) Squadron/Signal Publications (#6035) EN.lang.

ISBN 0-89747-137-7

pp.66-67 (PICTURES)

METEOR (B. Philpott 1986) Patrick Stephens Ltd. EN.lang.

ISBN 0-85059-734-X

pp.154-164 text (Meteor in combat in Korea) & couple pictures

Air War over Korea (J. Scutts 1982) Arms & Armour Press (Warbirds Illus. #11) EN. lang.

ISBN 0-85368-562-2

pp.32-33 picture

More to come... :analintruder:

This was the ONLY Korea Meteor article on the (late) great mag "Air Enthusiast". I have a complete set - and I just went right through it... :mental:

Air Enthusiast #116 (March/April 2005)

ISSN 0143-5450

"Ambush over Korea", Dennis Newton pp.2-11.

This was the ONLY Korea Meteor article on the (late) great mag "Air Enthusiast". I have a complete set - and I just went right through it... :mental:

Thats what I call dedication to the art.

...here comes some more!

Gloster Meteor in Action (Glenn Ashley 1995) In Action #152; Squadron/Signal Publications Inc.
ISBN 0-89747-332-9
pp.20-23 Meteors in Korea (pics & some text)
After all this researching effort I'm afraid I'm going to end up building the #¤#/& kit myself as well! :Tasty:

I tried to assemble one rocket using the PE template and...well, let's just say I'm not proud of how angry I was by the time I threw it aside. The Meteor will have drop tanks.

IMAG1097_zpsrqyiyuta.jpg

I got Edward Shacklady's c.1961 Meteor book in the mail today, and while reading it, it quickly became apparent that RAAF Meatboxes couldn't carry drop tanks (or bombs) on their wings when the first arrived, so I resolved to bite the bullet and at least put on the resin rocket rails. I snapped off the fuel tank pylons with a pair of pliers and then micromeshed the scarring of the plastic away, then added the rails, using a pen and the PE template to mark their placement.

IMAG1117_zps8rj1suye.jpg

Was I making jet noises as I took this photo? I'll never tell:

IMAG1119_zpssgwceluz.jpg

Now, does anyone know, can I use rockets from the Airfix Typhoon on these rails, or are they the wrong sorts of rockets?

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Well, a little late, but I did finish it. Many thanks to Forlornhope for the decals. I'll probably put it up in RFI this weekend, if the weather can stop vacillating between murderously humid heat and torrential rain. EDIT: AND I PUT THE EJECTION TRIANGLES ON THE WRONG SIDES. GOD D---arn it.

IMAG2073.jpg

IMAG2075.jpg

• Like 6