Kit: Tamiya 61047

Paint: Camouflage - Xtracolour enamels. Invasion stripes, ID stripes, interior, tyres – Tamiya acrylics. Pylons, wheel hubs, undercarriage legs and wheel bays – Alclad lacquer.

Decals: Microscale 48-139

Extras: Ultracast resin exhausts, Eduard Zoom set. Vac-form ‘Malcolm’ canopy.

North American P-51B Mustang

Assigned to: Maj. Howard ‘Deacon’ Hively

334th FS, 4th FG, US 8th Air Force

Debden, June 1944

Deacon1_zps221809a4.jpg

Deacon2_zpsf9417066.jpg

Deacon3_zps198e95ce.jpg

Deacon4_zps72bb95fd.jpg

Deacon5_zps07e9ce77.jpg

Deacon8_zps194dfa47.jpg

Deaconref_zps0b0c0fe6.jpg

Lost count of how many Tamiya P-51’s I’ve built over the years, but what I do know is that this is easily my best. Took just over a month from start to finish, just grabbing an hour or two bench-time here and there.

Particularly pleasing on this build is that I deliberately tried to replicate the ‘hasty’ application of the invasion stripes. Really difficult to pull-off without the project ending-up looking like a badly painted and rushed model. I think I’ve done it – no two stripes are the prescribed 18” scale width, they aren’t straight and a little patchy in ‘depth’.

You can see from the accompanying photo ‘The Deacon’ was heavily paint chipped and dirty, again, an effect I’ve tried to replicate.

Really enjoyed this (hassle free) project and very happy with the end result. As ever thanks for taking the time to look, and happy to answer any questions, comments and criticism.

AFN

Ian

• Like 8

That's really lovely work Ian, you've really captured that battle work look of the real aircraft to a tee.

Mind if I ask how you achieved the subtle exhaust stain down the side of the fuselage?

Cheers

• Like 1

That's really lovely work Ian, you've really captured that battle work look of the real aircraft to a tee.

Mind if I ask how you achieved the subtle exhaust stain down the side of the fuselage?

Cheers

Tamiya 'Smoke' - just lightly misted-on over three or four passes. Not difficult to do, but worth practising first on an old 'clunker' if you haven't tried it before.

Ian

• Like 2