Spitfire Mk.XVI - Revell (ICM Molds) 1:48 - Finished

Great work on the Spit.

Just wondering if you could mate the Revell kit's engine, bulkhead and mounts onto the Eduard Mk IX- I would like to do one of my MkIXs fully opened up, showing engine, gun bays etc, without having to pay the extra for the Brassin set- the Revell or ICM is certainly a cheaper option if do-able.

Alan.

Hi Alan,

Thank you for the nice comment :-)

To be honest, i don't know the Eduard Mk.IX kit but i think every think is possible with more or less patience, some putty, sand paper and a good blade...

As the kit from Revell is under 20€, it can be an interesting solution to be used as a base to improve another kit, indeed (the kit parts are not as detailed as an after market set can be)

If that can help you, i can measure the parts tonight and give you the dimentions of the engine + mount and firewall.

Have a nice day !

Edited by Dreamcatcher

With regards air-shows we're very lucky where we live. We're not far from a place called Cosby, in Leicestershire, where they hold something called the Victory show every year. During the event they have WW2 re-enactments and an air-show. We get WW2 planes and other modern planes flying low over our house. They've included Spitfires, Hurricanes and the Lancaster. More modern stuff has included the Vulcan and Eurofighter Typhoon.

If you get to go to Duxford I hope you enjoy it.

Kind regards,

Stix

Bin there to that show,a helluva damn good day out,if you can swing Duxford 'Catcher,your mouth

will be wide open all day.

• Like 2

i know, i know, i've already been in Duxford two times yet (2009 and 2010) and each times was wonderful.

I'm a Spitfire lover and...Duxford was my Heaven :yahoo: :

Spitfires.jpg

I really like this air show and the Imperial War Museum is very great to visit too !

• Like 2

Well gentlemen, i need some help please :

I'm working on the Spitfire wings and i think there is a big mistake on the armament in their bay :

The Mk.XVI is fitted with a E type wing - i.e. she have "only" a 20mm cannon hispano MkII + a Browning .50 machine gun in each wing.

This is the plan of the E wing armaments (Drawing from http://spitfiresite.com) :

gun-installation-e-wing-2.jpg

I have a problem with the part "B34" from the kit :

This part is shaped in a kind of flat S and i don't understand what it represents.

If it reprensents the belt drum feed unit, the indicated place is wrong.

and if it represents the .50 ammunitions belt system, this part shall pass UNDER the 20mm Cannon and not on top....

Might some of you have a picture of an opened armamant bay from a Spitfire Mk XVI with visible ammunitions ?

Thanks by advance

Pascal

Edited by Dreamcatcher

Well... Unfortunately it seems that nobody can help... :shrug:

This is the documentation i found here and there through the Internet, it might help other builders...

Not a E wing but it might be used for the Hispano cannon.

20mm1fi2.jpg

Is this THE Paradise ?
23-23-7557926480_17cc030455_k.jpg

hispano-03.jpg

The top "box" is for the .50" ammo., the lower compartment for the 20mm shells.
hispano-04.jpg

hispano-ii-spitfire-vc2.jpg

MGcannonshot.jpg

Enjoy.

Edited by Dreamcatcher
  • Like 1

Thank you for posting those - they're really good. What are you thinking of doing with these on your Spitfire? I haven't even looked at them yet on mine - I saw you mentioned you think there's an issue with some part? I'm afraid I don't get as much time as I'd like working on my kits - usually weekend mornings and occasionally some time in the evening (15 minutes or so). At this rate yours is going to be finished weeks before mine!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

You're welcome PlaStix,

I was thinking about you when i posted these pictures ;-)

I've been warned of a possible error in the kit because i failed to find any drum for the 20mm Hispano cannon on the sprues...

So i searched the Net for some informations and that's how i found this part of the kit was wrong...

I have a bit more time to spend on building R/C or plastic models but not very much more than you and I'm a slow builder anyway.

This morning i took five minutes while Honey was sleeping to built the cannons drums.

hispano.jpg

To be continued !

Best regards

Pascal

• Like 1

You're welcome PlaStix,

I was thinking about you when i posted these pictures ;-)

Thank you! They are really good - and I agree that the second photo of all the Spitfires would be be the place to be! :Tasty:

When I get as far as you I will need to find something to replicate the drum - what are you using? I might have some suitable plastic rod somewhere for mine.

I think I'm going to have a go at the engine and it's surroundings next, although I also need to work out about removing some plastic off the sides of the firewall and IP so they fit neatly inside the fuselage sides.

Anyway - looking forward to your next update.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

I used the parts B34 to build the drums. I cut the round shaped side and stuck them onto the 20mm. With some sanding, a heat source to bend them and a bit of luck i think i will be able to use the rest of these parts to build a kind of L shaped parts to emulate the .50 ammunitions rail.

I hope my poor english is understandable...

Thank a lot for your visit my friend :-)

• Like 1

Hello !

The ealth is better today, i'm back on track !

After some more research it seems that effectively the ammunitions circuits provided by revell are false :

This is the drawing of a Mk XVI's E type wing armament (from Spitfire.com) :

gun-installation-e-wing-2.jpg

And this is the system as seen by Revell / ICM :

version-revell.jpeg

At first sight, we can see that in the "from the box" solution, there is no drums provided for the hispano Suiza 20mm Cannons and that the rails that bring ammunitions to the .50 machine guns are ON TOP of the Cannons.

The Hispano's drums have been made from a part of the "B34" parts (picture above)

Then i modified the other part of "B34" to be used as 0.50 ammunition rail :

_PCH2512.jpg

This is what it looks like once the wing closed :

_PCH2521.jpg

Even if the system is not 100% exact, i hope that it look like a bit more to the original :

hispano-04.jpg

Next step will probabely be : joigning the wings to the fuselage...

Kind regards

Edited by Dreamcatcher
  • Like 1

Done ! The wings joined the fuselage :pilot: and i just had time to take some pictures in the last sun rays of the day !

Finally both the left side engine cowl's pannel and the two armament bays doors will be removable. I'm rather happy because the kit did not plan it and this will certainly help a lot when i will have to paint the plane !

_PCH2540.jpg

_PCH2541.jpg

_PCH2542.jpg

I was a bit stressed because ICM kits are known for their rather poor wings/fuselage junctions.

Indeed they are not perfect here either, but i have to admit that i expected worse :

_PCH2543.jpg

_PCH2545.jpg

Putty will be compulsory between the wings and the fuselage, but the biggest work will be, in my humble opinio, to fill the lack of plastic between the rear area of the wing fillet and the trailing edges.
_PCH2548.jpg

I finish my last update of the day with a few pictures "all doors open" :

_PCH2549.jpg

_PCH2554.jpg

_PCH2551.jpg

Enjoy your week end !

Edited by Dreamcatcher
  • Like 1

Looking good Dreamcatcher.

Glad you're feeling better and it looks like the weather's okay there - it's raining and windy here!

It's good you've got the choice whether to have the covers on or off. When I taped mine up to sort out the firewall I noticed the gap at the back of the wing root. Oh well.

Hope you have a good Sunday.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Thx for your kind words Stix !

I only had a few free time to work on the Spitfire on Sunday.

I just applied some putty over every gap... and there were a lot ! (Worst than on the Bf-109 F from the same manufacturer)

and started to sand it here and there.

_PCH2558.jpg

_PCH2560.jpg

I also had a lot of sanding work to do on the wing's radiator bodies because their "feet" was to high and thick.

The grids inside them was also to big.

To be continued...

P.S. : Stix, if you read me, pay attention : i think the armament position is not correct in the Kit.

Regarding the pictures posted higher in the thread, In my opinion, both the .50 and the Hispano should be moved rear in the bays, much closer to the trailing edge. I will try to modify mines if i can unsticking these parts....

Edited by Dreamcatcher
  • Like 1

Hi Pascal,

Wow - yes there is a lot of filler involved!! I may have to go out and buy some more for mine! (We could be approaching Speedman's 1/144 kits in the 'Less than a tenner' group build at this rate!)

Thank you for advising about the radiators as well. I am really lucky that you started this before I started mine - between you and Miggers I am well forewarned about the issues ahead - I will have to repay the debt at some point!

I shall watch closely about what you do with the armament. As I mentioned before I think it will be a while before I get there - and now having seen how much is missing from the engine - it may be even longer!

I hope you are now back to full health.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Hi Stix,

Yes, thanks a lot. Even if i still to have some medicines, i feel myself healthy now.

I just stuck the wing tips : The left one is perfect but the height of the right side one is to small of about 0.5mm... i will have to apply some more putty :banghead:

Edited by Dreamcatcher
  • Like 1

Hello !

The ealth is better today, i'm back on track !

After some more research it seems that effectively the ammunitions circuits provided by revell are false :

This is the drawing of a Mk XVI's E type wing armament (from Spitfire.com) :

The reason is the kit wing is from the ICM VII/VIII/IX kit, and is really made for the C wing set up, not the E as you found.

Bit late, but the inside of the engine bays/gun bays is painted aluminium, and the wheel wells would be the underside colour, not grey-green.

The wing root can be improved by attaching the upper wings to the fuselage and the adding the lower wing....

The wheel hubs are not very good, if you know someone with the Eduard kit, ALL boxings have 3 hubs, 5 spoke, 4 spoke and covered, so plenty of leftovers in spares bins

Carefully drilling out of the ICM hub detail with a 6mm drill [start with a smaller one] will allow easy replacement of the hubs.

The ICM prop blades need reshaping, and the spinner is a bit short. They are not really bad, but could be better.

If the Spitfire bug bites, you can use the early rudder and tail planes to replace the over thick parts in the Airfix I/II/Va kit ....

HTH

T

• Like 1

Hi Troy,

Many Thanks for all these explanations !

Unfortunately, i don't have any body around with those spare parts from Eduard but i will have a look on pictures of a Mk XVI propeller blades and may be i will try to correct their shape.

I also still can change some painting color of the wheel wells.

This is how she is at the moment :

_PCH2561.JPG

Thanks for your visit !

Kind regards

Pascal

• Like 2

Thank you so much Stix,

Here, the things don't go as good as i would like : I have some problem with putty i have to put and sand in the cannons / Leading edge area, i don't manage to fill correctly a gap between an horizontal stabilizer and the Rudder fin and i'm not satisfied of my sanding work on the model (the plastic is rather soft and sanding, even with very soft sand paper 1000 create some streaks on the parts...

I shall found another filling product and method for my next models, i think...

I hope you will have less problems with your Mk.XVI !

i received some yellow copper, titanium and titanium gold colors today, i might will be able to return on some Merlin's details soon.

Thanks for you visit !

Kind regards

Pascal

Edited by Dreamcatcher
  • Like 1