Academy 1/48 F-86F Sabre 'The Huff'

Mozzy19

Here's my entry into the G.B. The Academy Sabre.

Box shot.

imagejpg1_zpsc37da31b.jpg

Sprue's.

imagejpg1_zpsb19967d0.jpg

There won't be any progress on this for a little while, I've got a Classic Airframes Whirlwind to build first.

Sean :pilot:

• Like 3

This is one kit I have had on the wishlist for a while. I have picked it up many times in shops or at a show but for some reason have always put it down and bought something else... :shrug: Will be watching with interest. :popcorn:

• Like 2

This is one kit I have had on the wishlist for a while. I have picked it up many times in shops or at a show but for some reason have always put it down and bought something else

I got this during a ModelZone sale with a discount code last summer before they went under. It was about £10 plus postage. I wouldn't have got it otherwise but it's just as well I did! :)

Progress to come in the next few weeks.

Sean

• 3 weeks later...

Right. I've got all the internals glued and the cockpit painted. They were then joined to a fuselage half and the halves were then glued together. The wings have also been built up and fixed to the fuselage.

imagejpg2_zps153e7936.jpg

imagejpg1_zpsd65b3704.jpg

imagejpg3_zps156660de.jpg

imagejpg4_zps52613bc5.jpg

Since these photo's were taken, the gun access panels have also been glued.

• Like 1

It goes together very nicely indeed. There are a few gaps between various inserts and the fillet behind the wings though.

Sean

I've got the cockpit finished and the canopy glued. All the seams have been sorted but a coat of primer revealed some need more sorted than others... :mental:

imagejpg1_zps843f5bdc.jpg

imagejpg2_zpsea0be91e.jpg

imagejpg3_zps22659fe6.jpg

imagejpg4_zps75b3c67b.jpg

imagejpg5_zps26a86e22.jpg

• Like 3

Who said you were the host who was doing nothing? because that is a lot of great work going on there! Keep it up mozzy!

Haha, yeah who was saying I did nothing... :P

Although it's only taken about 6/7 hours spread over 2 days to get this far.

Sean

Errrrmm, I have no idea. I'll give it a whirl in the morning and if it doesn't work, it'll be glossed like I normally do.

Sean

Good job. Now, can you polish it up a little? :)

• 2 weeks later...

Got some panel variation done this morning and painted the wheel wells.

imagejpg1_zpsf9a0e9d7.jpg

imagejpg2_zps8f20a485.jpg

All was going well until I removed the masking from around the main gear bays... :wall:

imagejpg3_zps51dee47b.jpg

Sean

Nice repair job Sean, I wouldn't know you'd had an error. Nothing makes me want to throw my toys out the pram like masking lifting paint!

Cheers. :)

Paint lifting is a regular occurrence with me recently, the air turns blue in the house very rapidly when it does...

In fact, it happened again when I unmasked the wheel wells after the repair. You can see a small part that's a different shade of silver on the edge of the left gear bay.

Sean

Glad to see this goes together OK mate - got this one pinned for the F-86 later this year (though not 'The Huff'!)

Glad to see this goes together OK mate - got this one pinned for the F-86 later this year (though not 'The Huff'!)

It goes together nicely, it's just the paint that doesn't play ball... :fight:

I've got another one earmarked for the Sabre build just not painted with a Tamiya rattle can!