F-7F 3N Tigercat update 9-08-2014 ###Finished###

Arniec

Thanxs Guys,

Looking really nice.

Its not such a bad kit i've built 3 or 4 of them since AMT released it in 1995/96.

So are you going for a Gloss Sea Blue or Flat Black scheme

It will be a Flat black one.

Cheers,

I have closed today the fuselage. It's a pitty that there isn't much to see after that is done.

Here are some pictures. After this it will be a little bit more quite. I am also working on some other projects that will need some atention from me.

front seat

IMG_0283_zps9f0247bb.jpg

IMG_0282_zps2420c6cd.jpg

Back seat. witch is almost nothing to be seen.

IMG_0281_zps341b2314.jpg

In the fuselage.

IMG_0284_zpsbb7ac1cb.jpg

And the fuselage closed.

IMG_0285_zps2ee00390.jpg

That is it for now.

Cheers,

• Like 4

Thanxs guys.

I do like the Tigercat, pity it was just blue or black.

I will do my best to give it a good paintjob with black"ish" colours.

Cheers,

Hi guys,

this is a small update. I have reatached the nosecone to the fuselage. After this have dried I will work on al the seams of the fuselage.

Here is a picture.

IMG_0289_zpsa153b696.jpg

Cheers,

• Like 2

Nice job Arnold!!! :thumbsup:

I had forgotten all about this GB, with and other builds!!!

Now I know why you were wondering when I was going to finish mine (it’s now on the bench next to the desk, should be next off the rank to be finished once the Heinkel is done)!

You're doing a great job, and have managed to correct some of the noticeable errors and problems with this model (namely props, lower exhaust fairings, though I didn't have as much trouble with the nose gear bay). Have to admit I didn't notice the issue with the nose! The cockpit and interiors look fantastic, I’m now glad mine can’t be seen!

You may want to dig up some detail shots of the wing tips and Nav lights, from the F-3’s on they had a small flattened/bevelled section on the tip end where the Nav lights are. I spent days trying to find detailed photos of the tips, the best I found was in the Squadron Signal Aviation In Action book on the Tigercat, pg 33, most of the photo’s don’t show this clearly. Will post a photo of the tips on my beasty, they're not perfect but they're very close.

Plus you don't have to worry too much about it being a tail sitter, it was not uncommon for them to be parked with the nose wheel in the air when waiting to be refuelled!

Seeing I’m not part of the fun I’ll just have to watch your build instead. :D:popcorn:

• Like 1

ok this is what I'm taking about;

WingTipdetail_zps7b0e77b9.jpg

I don't know how accurate I got it as I have not been able to come up with any good detailed photos. (the big hole near the light isn't meant to be there nor the blank of the nav light either, bugga these closeup photos!!)

• Like 2

Thanxs Rich for the info. I have also noticed the nav lights are different. I will have a look later to see if I can make it mare realistic. I believe there was also a drawing in the in action book for this.

The model is put aside for the moment. I am now very bussy with painting a F-14 cockpit from Aires for my F-14 GB. That takes up a lot of time. I hope to be doing some work on her after that model is ready for some paint. I am doing at the moment three GB's and the fourth is getting started in about thee weeks.

No presure at all. :bounce::bounce::bounce:

Cheers,

• 1 month later...

I have done some work yesterday. The seams on the fuselage have now been filled and now it is time to put the wing on.

When I have done some work on the navigation lights as well.

Cheers,

Hi guys,

Here are some pictures of what hase been done today. I have put whe wings and stabilisors on and also put the engine ring with the exhaust on.

The exhaust rings go on quite well, but on the topside there is a space left, and I think that that have to be filled with some plastic card and putty.

O, I also bought last week some landinggear from SAC.

Here are two pictures after putting the wings on. they are still clamped and taped. After removing these the wing/fuselage joint was looking great. No filler needed.

IMG_0884_zps48291551.jpg

IMG_0885_zpsa6995f9d.jpg

Here is a picture of the new landing gear. I needed to buy these because I was missing a keypart of the landinggear.

IMG_0886_zpsfb062bbe.jpg

And finally two pictures after clamping the two engine rings. The clamping was needed to get a tight fit.

I will try to place some pictures tomorrow of the gap that I encountered.You can't see it now, because it's under the tape.

IMG_0887_zps3253171c.jpg

IMG_0888_zpsd5561f10.jpg

Cheers,

• Like 3

I had a set of SAC landing gear for mine but couldn't us them because I "lost" one of the bits! Though I did find it again only recently when I was moving my work area around!!! :doh:

As you found out the engine cowlings fit isn't the best.

Not long till painting time!

• Like 1

As you found out the engine cowlings fit isn't the best.

Not long till painting time!

Well the engine cowlings just needed some persuation, but look ok now. The only anoying is the gap on top. But that will be filled tomorrow.

I still need to do some work. Aspecialy the clear parts fitting needs to be done. I still haven't decided if I will use all the vac form canopies.

Cheers,

Here are some pictures of what have been done this weekend.

Here is a picture of the gap with the engine nacelles.

IMG_0889_zps00242890.jpg

And here after filling it with some plastic card.

IMG_0890_zps4395f615.jpg

And finaly done after some sanding. The silver paint is to check for some flaws.

IMG_0891_zps2032d6f0.jpg

IMG_0892_zps513da572.jpg

I have also remodelled the propellors. The late versions of the Tigercat did have some shortend tips on the props.When I was bussy I also pilled in the line that was there to paint the tips.

IMG_0893_zps0c4a8c90.jpg

Here is a picture of the stumps for the HVAR rockets. I removed the rockets, because they were not very convincing.

IMG_0895_zps41d30d50.jpg

And finally the last one of the canopies glued in place. The canopie for the radar operator is from the Squadron set. That is more convincing than the original one. I will tape that one of tomorrow, before the paintings starts.

IMG_0894_zps7bde3608.jpg

I still need to do a few little things before painting, but at the end of the week there will be some paint on.

Thanxs for looking.

Cheers,

• Like 2

Nice work. Especially the cockpit on the earlier posts. Out of interest why do you use silver paint to show up the flaws? I know metallics are finer, but would not a fine primer work just as well?

Nice work. Especially the cockpit on the earlier posts. Out of interest why do you use silver paint to show up the flaws? I know metallics are finer, but would not a fine primer work just as well?

Thanxs.

I use silver paint more for the contrast. A fine primer could do the job as well.

Cheers,

looking nice Arnold.

I had the same problem with the gap between the cowls and wing.

Where did you get those props from, they're not the originals are they?

• Like 1

Thanxs Rich.

The props are from 2 Tamiya Corsairs ( one already build and another from a Kit for a FAA scheme with a new prop from a MDC set).

I have clipped the tips and give them a swipe with a sandingstick, thats all.

Cheers,

• 2 weeks later...