Academy 1/72 F-14A Tomcat VF-84

Looking forward to the pics; this is great.

Nice work to get the bands painted on the underside of the wing as well.

Andrew.

The ones under the wings are actually the decals from the kit, which have been split into 3 sections to properly repilcate the real ones.

This model is now complete as an Tomcat from VF-84 during Op Eagle Claw, the aborted rescue mission of the hostages that were in the American Embassy in Tehran. It is the Academy kit and apart from the Phoenix and Sidewinder missiles was built out of the box. This is the first time that I have used the Academy kit as I usually use the Hasegawa one, and to be honest it will be the last time that I build one. Thanks for all the help along the way and especially Mungo 1974 with the info about the striping.

Tomcat036_zpsd1da5f20.jpg

Tomcat037_zps2260a7d8.jpg

Tomcat038_zps7dd1d693.jpg

Tomcat040_zps2ff85409.jpg

Tomcat041_zps4976394f.jpg

Tomcat042_zps75a5896a.jpg

Tomcat043_zpsbeb836c0.jpg

Tomcat044_zps72c2ca97.jpg

Tomcat045_zpsc8b20552.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Beautiful Tomcat! And I love the scheme you chose.

I have one question for all the F-14's afficionados: I have never bought the Academy F-14 because to my untrained eye the nose appears too bulbous and not long enough...

Do I need a new pair of glasses or am I correct?

Well done on your build.

JR

Beautiful Tomcat! And I love the scheme you chose.

I have one question for all the F-14's afficionados: I have never bought the Academy F-14 because to my untrained eye the nose appears too bulbous and not long enough...

Do I need a new pair of glasses or am I correct?

Well done on your build.

JR

Do you mean the 1/72 or th 1/48 kit ? The 1/48 one is known for having a bad nose. The 1/72 looks Ok to me though

Hi Giorgio,

thanks for replying.

I meant the 1/72 Academy kit. Compared to other Tomcats, I have always found the nose too short and squat. That is the main reason I have never bought it when I have come across it. So maybe it is just me?

JR

Hi Giorgio,

thanks for replying.

I meant the 1/72 Academy kit. Compared to other Tomcats, I have always found the nose too short and squat. That is the main reason I have never bought it when I have come across it. So maybe it is just me?

JR

Here are some photos of the Academy kit next to a Hasegawa one.

Tomcat046_zpsb9060918.jpg

Tomcat047_zpsbfba1311.jpg

Tomcat048_zps6366daff.jpg