Here he is (standing, right hand figure) along with a few other trainees in Rhodesia, 1942. His diary says about his first flight that he was disappointed at how slowly the Tiger Moth flew!!

intrepid%20pilots_zpsmqyr96xp.jpg

Max

• Like 1

If I may be allowed a few comments. For those who want to know what scale drawings are of use in this project then there are really only two contenders. The original Cox drawings from Aeromodeller have shape issues around the fin and rudder as well as having the wrong strut lengths. These plans were redrawn later and these can be found in Scale Models in 1/72 scale and in a later Aeromodeller in 1/48. The Ron Warring drawings from Model Aircraft in March 1957 are exceptionally good but very rare.

As for kits, the original Airfix kit does not have one correct line in the whole kit being made to the drawings in AFP Vol 1.

The Smer 1/48 kit is similarly flawed. In 1/48 there is an obscure Australian kit and the Aurora kit both of which are poor.

My own kits in 1/72 (c.1983) were part of the learning curve, the earlier ones being better than the Airfix one, but really viewed in hindsight, only the last issue mould was to an acceptable standard. Similarly the last issue moulding of my 1/48 Tiger is probably the only accurate 'out of the box' Tiger Moth in terms of shape. With the Matchbox Tiger, to get it to look right you have to shorten the main struts and pay attention to the dihedral angles.

The new Airfix 1/72 kit is a beautifully moulded kit and apart from getting the nose profile corrected, it is a little charmer. All of the corrections have been dealt with here on Britmodeller and there are lots of photos as well.

John

• Like 3

Thank you John, comments are always appreciated. I'm excited about this GB already......with 7 months to wait yet. Good job I've got a 1/32nd Harvard and Tiger Moth (I've noted the corrected strut lengths and dihedral problems!) to keep me occupied.

Max

Can anyone remember a Tiger Moth in the late 70s (I think called 'Tiger Tiger'), which was covered all over in tiger stripes?

I've been trying to find a web image, but without success.

Thanks

Cliff

Thanks to information provided by Loft-full (thank you again :)), I now know that 'Tiger Tiger' was VH-ASC and here she is!

I'm still not sure whether I will be able to enter this GB (I've already signed up to much too much this year - including two other Moths), but if I do, I will have a go at 'Tiger Tiger'. It is very tempting.....

Cheers

Cliff

Just found these walkaround pictures of some Tiger Moths. There are some close up details I've not found anywhere else so far.

http://www.arcair.com/awa01/001-100/awa025-Tiger-Moth/00.shtm

Bob

I visited the military museum in Gweru (Gwelo in my father's time) in Zimbabwe a couple of years ago and found this sadly dilapidated Tiger Moth there. I took the opportunity to get many detailed shots, so in addition to Bob's excellent walk-around shots, if anybody needs detail I may be able to help.
DSCN1939_zpsg9v7yx1t.jpg
DSCN1912_zpswvkvhb5n.jpg
DSCN1925_zps4945p85w.jpg
DSCN1924_zpsitmyhuvt.jpg
DSCN1921_zpscbkbpkxr.jpg
DSCN1918_zpsbvbdnqsa.jpg
Max
  • Like 2

I've seen on-line that the Haynes De Havilland Tiger Moth manual will be available in paperback on 2nd April 2015, £11.25.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Havilland-Tiger-Moth-Manual-Pbk/dp/0857338366/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1423470882&sr=8-2&keywords=haynes+tiger+moth

It would be nice to think it's available from other places too. I can find no mention of this on the Haynes site however.

..............And, does anyone have close up pictures of the turnbuckles and rigging?

• 1 month later...

Just got my copy of the the Haynes De Havilland Tiger Moth manual from Waterstones (£12.99).

Only had a chance to quickly flick through, but it seems very good, certainly at first glance. A lot of detailed close up photos too.

• 3 months later...

OK all, I've posted the rules for this STGB, I hope they are clear and meet with everyone's approval. As I mentioned in the "Welcome" section I live just 10 minutes away from three immaculately restored WW2-condition Tiger Moths (apart from the intercom which thankfully is better than the old Gosport tubes). I'm very happy to share any of my photographs should you need any details (though I've already put several in the Reference thread section), or to nip down and take some more if the particular nut or bolt that is vital on your model isn't in any of my shots. Here's a couple:

DSCN7396_zpsofut0ctu.jpg
DSCN7390_zpsvls9dba8.jpg
DSCN7382_zpsiwwbieuu.jpg
DSCN7359_zpsklqqrym3.jpg
IMG_0241_zpsypsyhfsm.jpg
and for a seat of the pants experience from a recent lesson:

Max

• Like 2

Thanks to Max for setting out the rules and getting the ball rolling. I can claim no special affinity for Tiger Moths, but have built one once before. Thats rather more experience than I have of running group builds, by Max and I will do our best to keep things puttering along nicely. Thanks too to MIsh for the help we will inevitably need.

• Like 1

Folks, feel free to start posting your plans and build threads, if you're a speed demon don't go too far before Midnight!

In Blue Peter tradition, here's one I made earlier, nothing special but my first biplane and my first attempt at rigging. Not eligible for the GB, but if I can make one, anyone can.

17000618449_6d92a8bf15_c.jpgT11 by jongwinnett, on Flickr

17186785965_744347de05_c.jpgT9 by jongwinnett, on Flickr

• Like 2

Hi Jon,

That's a really good looking model!

I think I'll give it a go with the Airfix kit. I'll post my plans tomorrow.

Cheers

Jaime

Thanks Jaime. The Airfix kit is a little gem, and I can't wait to see what you make of it. The nose can stand to be tilted up a touch, (there's a decent "how to" thread here: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234970789-airfix-tiger-moth-corrected-nose/?p=1796611)but essentially it builds to a nice tiny thing quite easily. If you ignore the rigging it could easily be done in a weekend. (If you're good at rigging that could probably be done in a weekend as well, if you're me, then perhaps not!)

• Like 1