Things I have finished...

Hi All,

I've been meaning to post some pics for months now but, since I tend to take them in natural light (and the dry), the weather has meant that this has been difficult to say the least! I must get around to getting some decent lighting!!

Anyway, I've been slowly working through kits I started months & months ago but never seemed to get around to finishing. These represent some that I have managed to get done and our club has been to a few shows of late so this has spurred me on to putting these few up. I was going to put more until I logged on today and saw Arkady's Jaguar!! Talk about off-putting!! Seriously, he just sets the bar so high that all us mere mortals can do is our best to try & keep up :jealous: !!

The Frank is the 1/32 Hasegawa kit with an Eduard cockpit set (only really used the instrument panel which is stunning) and the first Spit is the Hobby Boss 1/32 Trop. This has some accuracy issues I believe but makes up beautifully and look the part as far as I am concerned.

The rest are 1/48 - mixture odd Hasegawa, Tamiya & Airfix - I'm sure you all know what they are!

Hope you enjoy them - comments welcome!!

Dave

Here's the Hasegawa Frank:

FRANK32_03_zps76f2df8c.jpg

FRANK32_01_zps5ee98fb6.jpg

FRANK32_02_zps5366408e.jpg

FRANK32_04_zps5719cc23.jpg

FRANK32_05_zpsb599fc9f.jpg

FRANK32_06_zps29e010cf.jpg

This is the Hobby Boss Spit Vb:

SPIT32_03_zps3e6cf62f.jpg

SPIT32_02_zps8f6a5741.jpg

SPIT32_04_zps8a79d6be.jpg

SPIT32_06_zps87439c1f.jpg

Various 1/48:

IMG_19431_zpsd5bfee3b.jpg

IMG_19401_zpse374aaf0.jpg

K448_01_zpsf9aa2234.jpg

SPIT48_01_zps2b50f948.jpg

HURR48_01_zpsfa69f4aa.jpg

CAN48_01_zpsfd8017cd.jpg

• Like 11

All really nice but I especially love the weathering on the Frank. Great work. Anyone know why Japanese paint was so poor quality? Seems even early war aircraft were susceptible to this peeling so I'm assuming it wasn't necessarily due to wartime shortages of some ingredient.

Hi all,

Thanks again for all then positive comments! I intend putting a few more up today which I hope you will find interesting!

In answer to MeatBox8's question about Japanese paint I'm not sure I know the answer - apart from the fact thgat the operating environment was pretty bad for all sides (look at Corsairs & Spitfire that operated in the Pacific)! I've just Googled the question & come up with this (haven't yet read it myself but looks interesting): http://www.j-aircraft.com/research/weathering_question.htm

A brief look at the conclusion indicates that we perhaps shouldn't be weathering Japanese aircraft as much as we do! However, you can't argue with the photographic evidence that certainly shows extreme weathering in some cases!

Anyway, it's just a model! :winkgrin:

Dave

Hi all,

Thanks again for all then positive comments! I intend putting a few more up today which I hope you will find interesting!

In answer to MeatBox8's question about Japanese paint I'm not sure I know the answer - apart from the fact thgat the operating environment was pretty bad for all sides (look at Corsairs & Spitfire that operated in the Pacific)! I've just Googled the question & come up with this (haven't yet read it myself but looks interesting): http://www.j-aircraft.com/research/weathering_question.htm

A brief look at the conclusion indicates that we perhaps shouldn't be weathering Japanese aircraft as much as we do! However, you can't argue with the photographic evidence that certainly shows extreme weathering in some cases!

Anyway, it's just a model! :winkgrin:

Dave

Hi Dave

Thanks for adding the link. Interesting conclusions drawn by the author. As you say, photographic evidence would suggest that paint chipping was extensive. In fact some aircraft I have seen seem to have lost most of their paint. Having said that, in Osprey's IJA Aces book the Nates from the border conflict with the Soviet Union seem to be in pretty good shape. The point the article's author makes about lack of primer seems to have some credibility though and would be an obvious reason for paint not adhering well, as I have discovered myself through modelling. Nothing more annoying than one's beautifully applied paintwork peeling off with the masking tape!!

Maybe they left the primer off to save weight. I would imagine that later in the War as the situation became more desperate for the Japanese they may well have cut corners in production which might explain why Nates and Claudes look to have very low weathering in comparison with later in the War. Certainly quite a few Tonys, Franks and Tojos only had a very rudimentary spray of camo over natural metal.

As it's not a really an area I'm that strong on maybe some other BMs have some suggestions. Just to re-iterate though, I think the weathering on your Frank is excellent. Looking forward to seeing your other builds.

Cheers, Tim