Okay... I couldn't resist it any longer - a little sister for Periwinkle

As things transpired, I ended up taking the day off work. Once I got everything I had to deal with out of the road, I had a few hours in the basement which I put (I hope!) to good use.

The eye went on the stalk at long last.

S5002298.JPG

Next up was to spray the base of the dome lights (I had forgotten about them) and then fitted them to the dome when dry.

S5002301.JPG

I mixed up a batch of epoxy glue - not the 5 minute stuff - and applied it to the rear stub of all the hemisphere's inside the skirt. All the hemisphere's are now secure.

S5002300.JPG

I then followed that up by using epoxy, this time the 5 minute stuff, to glue the skirt to the base.

S5002311.JPG

I then attacked the waist section. I was determined to use the kit supplied mesh even though it was real crud. The supplied templates were also of little to no use whatsoever. I used them as a starting point only... then had to dry fit and trim repeatedly until I got something that was useable.

S5002303.JPG

I know, my spacing for the slats is slightly out. Partly my fault, partly the kit.

In this shot below, I have glued in the rear stay for the gun and arm. It's difficult to see in this shot, but I also added some styrene blocks glued to whatever area I could get to inside. - I don't trust that the Comet support will last long so I wanted to add some extra meat in there, just in case.

S5002305.JPG

However, once all put together it doesn't look too bad. Not a touch on Periwinkle but not too bad.

S5002322.JPG

The last parts left, apart from the final assembly, are the two dome lights. Once again the kit parts are outstandingly mediocre at best.

I used the last of my silicone to make a small mold from the kit parts. I then mixed up some clear resin and added a touch of clear red color just to tint the resin.

S5002302.JPG

I am now waiting on things drying and curing before I can get to the final assembly. The clear resin always seems to take forever to cure. Hopefully it will work out, otherwise the kit lights are getting a coat of primer and a final flash of red.

• Like 2

I completely agree Nigel. I could have found something better but I was determined to use as much of the kit as I could - just to show how bad it was!

I went for accuracy and detail with Periwinkle. This build is just to show the kit in it's final form, with the intent to display it beside Periwinkle.

It's kind of what George was talking about the other day - sometimes you want to build something without super detailing it, just to show how things once were... a long time ago.

• Like 2

Nigel does not comprehend what you are saying Hendie. He does not understand "out of the box" language. What he sees when he opens the box is the foundation for what the kit could ultimately be given some tender loving "Nigel" care. (Of course that could be wholesale binning/recycling of most of the kit parts ultimately). Sometimes you just have to build a kit with all of its flaws and just appreciate (or marvel how anyone in their right mind thought this was right) what the manufacturer tried to do. I think what you have done with the kit parts is great. Can't wait to see it finished. Just like I can't wait to see how Nigel's reconstruction of his Luft '46 will turn out.

• Like 3

I have to agree with you Hendie. Seeing the Daleks as a kid is much different than your first exposure as an adult. For me, the first impression is they were kinda hinky. As a kid though, I bet they were somewhat scary.

• Like 1

I do remember my cousins being terrified of them, but I loved them from the moment I first saw them. There was something about them that immediately demanded respect. Maybe fear was part of that equation, I'm not really sure - all I remember is that I just couldn't get enough of them.

I've got to place them in my all time top 3 Sci-Fi designs: Robby, B9 and Daleks.

• Like 4

The glue had plenty time to cure so I removed my clamp and everything seemed to stay in place. That allowed me to glue the plunger in place.

I never really noticed it until after I had sprayed the plunger but for some reason Comet decided to give the plunger a really horrible texture. At first I thought it was a paint reaction and I actually stripped the paint back off - it was only then I realized that the texture was a design "feature"

S5002325.JPG

So the waist section is now finished.

S5002323.JPG

Next up was to finish the dome. When I left you last, I had created a mold from the kit dome lights and filled the mold with tinted clear resin.

When it came to take the parts out I was a bit surprised. The resin had about 2 days to cure - which it had - but it remained in a very flexible state.... like gummi-bears!

I forgot to take a photo before I removed the parts, but you can see in this shot just how flexible the resin is.

S5002329.JPG

To remove the parts, I used a new blade and gently sliced into the base of the part while gently flexing the base away from the light itself. It wasn't perfect. but it turned out to be good enough.

I used canopy glue to fix the lights in place. I considered using my new toy (vac-u-form) which I haven't had the opportunity to use yet, to form new lights from clear sheet. However, the kit parts are the same diameter as the base, so if I had vacuformed over the kit lights, the new parts would have been too large in diameter to fit properly. Such is life.

S5002327.JPG

Here's a close up. It would have been nice if the lights were shiny, but as I used a silicone mold, it's only going to replicate the finish that was on the original source parts. However, I think the overall effect is acceptable.

S5002328.JPG

That means that all the assembly work on the main sections has been completed. All that's left is to glue the three sections together.

Here's a dry fit....

S5002330.JPG

I think it doesn't look too bad, but there's something that just doesn't look 100% Dalek.

S5002332.JPG

If I hadn't scratch built Periwinkle, I would probably have been ecstatic over this kit. However, after pouring over the plans as long as I did during that build, I have noticed things on this build that are out of whack.

S5002334.JPG

The skirt seems too narrow when seen from head on. The dome is the wrong shape. The gun is wrong. The collars were wrong, as are the gun and plunger box. Don't even mention the mesh!

S5002333.JPG

So just to rile Nigel, here's a close up showing that ridiculous kit supplied mesh.

S5002335.JPG

I can see now that my spacing for the slats is lightly out in a few places. My fault for rushing towards the end. That being said, I think it will only be noticeable to real Dalek aficionado's

I'll glue the 3 main sections together and take a couple of shots of this beside Periwinkle for comparison.

• Like 3

Nice job Hendie. For some reason, Daleks never scared me, even as a child, possibly because of the whole stairs thing. And also possibly because my Mum worked at the Beeb in the 60s and used to tell us stories of seeing Daleks in the corridors.... Cybermen were always much more threatening. And some of the one-off aliens were quite disturbing. But Daleks, no.

Still a great build from an ordinary kit.

• Like 2

Thanks Rick, thanks Rob - it will be interesting to see it side by side with my scratch build.

I'm very pleased with how the color scheme turned out, particularly as I really didn't know where I was going color wise throughout the build

I know you have just dry fit the sections, but does this Dalek have a sway back that goes a little out rather than in. The lines when you view the back just don't flow. I don't think it is anything you have done. I think it is the design and fit of the kit. Maybe rename it Quasimodo?

• Like 1

Hendie, this is really looking the part now.

In the previous shots, it looked too long in the waist section, but now with the vertical slats fitted it looks much better.

Edited by S5 modeller
  • Like 1

It looks close enough to be a Dalek, thats good enough for me to be running for the stairs (then halfway up remembering that scene in Remembrance of the Daleks of the first time we ever saw a Dalek negotiate a staircase!)

• Like 2

Finished !!!

I finally got everything competed. The skirt section is now screwed into the waist in case I ever need to get back in to adjust anything.

As promised earlier, here are some comparison shots with Periwinkle....

S5002351.JPG

S5002352.JPG

S5002353.JPG

S5002355.JPG

S5002357.JPG

I think these shots highlight the shape issues. However, after looking at it for a while, I think it can be considered a Dalek.

I do like the new color scheme though, it has grown on me considerably.

Okay, project finished, now onto the next one....

• Like 4

A very nice build of what seems to be a difficult kit. As far as the shape issue goes, as it is Periwinkle's little sister, perhaps she has some body image problems that are reflected in the way she dresses and destroys universes.

• Like 2