Okay... I couldn't resist it any longer - a little sister for Periwinkle

Another small update.

I gave up with the alclad. I have decided I hate the stuff. Even after leaving the chrome for over a week without touching it, as soon as I handled it, the darn stuff came off again.

That settled my mind - all the sticky-outy bits were going to be gun metal, to match the hemisphere's. The sticky-outy bits were duly given a clean up to get rid of the alcrap, then sprayed with gun metal.

I decided to make a start on the dome next. The first thing to be done was to fix the eye stalk in place in side the dome. Of course, the kit supplied parts were useless and didn't fit anyway.

I bodged together this arrangement which should hold the eye stalk in place much better than the kit parts ever would have.

S5002157.JPG

That allowed me to get the discs on the stalk. They were stuck in place with pva glue which I placed with a pin and capillary action sucked it into the gap between the stalk and the disc.

I have an idea for the lights - again, kit one's are crap. I'll have a muck around and see what I can come up with later.

S5002177.JPG

I can already see that the dome is the wrong shape. My scratch built dome was much better looking and more accurate than this Comet offering.

and to finish off, another tease shot. Here's a few hemisphere's just placed into the skirt.

S5002175.JPG

There's not an awful lot left to do. It's just a pain because nothing fits.

Comet provide a template to cut the shoulder bars/metally things (<= Collars was the word I was looking for!) with and of course, that doesn't fit either. I am going to have to make my own template, but I am concentrating on getting another couple of models finished first.

Edited by hendie
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

A little bit more progress on this one....

I thought it was time to approach the gun. The kit provides small diameter plastic "rods" - but the rods have a mold mismatch and there are seams on both sides, and they are not quite round, not to mention not very straight!

I had some piano wire lying around in my scratch box and thought this would be a much better alternative. The gun was drilled out to accept the piano wire using Ø0.7mm drill bit.

First wire fitted in place

S5002190.JPG

Sorry for the quality of photo's but the camera batteries were dying on me so I ended up taking just a couple of quick shots - which are slightly out of focus.

All the wires fitted

S5002192.JPG

Each end of the wire has now been given a dab of superglue and left to harden.

Next in line are the collars - stay tuned for the next installment folks

Edited by hendie
  • Like 4

Finally managed to get the monkey off my shoulder..... the hemisphere's passed inspection after painting and have all been fitted into the skirt.

S5002261.JPG

The hemisphere's are just dry fitted at the moment.

A quick test fit showed that most of the hemisphere's are a press fit into the holes. That is great, because it means I can apply glue, probably epoxy from inside the skirt and that also means there is very little chance of getting glue leakage on the outside of the skirt.

S5002262.JPG

There were only about 4 hemisphere's in total that were a loose fit.

Really the only thing that is holding me back on this one are the collars and slats. I don't seem to be able to get enough enthusiasm to attack them.

S5002263.JPG

Although the hemisphere's are actually gun metal, they do look black. I tried the base which is satin black, against the skirt and I could hardly tell the difference between the two colors.

• Like 1

Thanks Nigel. I am going to try and get the collars finished this week - any suggestions as to the color for the slats?

I don't know whether to stick with the gun metal color or to lighten things up with some aluminum or similar?

I think I would stick with the gunmetal, aluminium might look too bright and clashy. You are in the best place to judge the aesthetics though so go with whatever you think best. What are you using for the perforated mesh behind the slats? + Any idea where g-usa has gone, he seems rather quiet recently?

I'm going to stick with the horrible octagonal plastic mesh that was supplied with the kit. I wanted this one to be pretty much OOTB as it will be a nice comparison between Periwinkle and a kit version

Good call, I'll stick with the gun metal for the slats

*** edit ***

and no idea where our intrepid George is of late

Edited by hendie
  • Like 1

Someone has to. Now back to the Dalek.

Hendie, you could always try the aluminum color to see how you like it. It it is too bright, then you could tone it down with Tamiya Smoke to a darker, more subdued finish. Gives you some alternatives.

another small update as I edge forward trying to complete my three ongoing builds before starting a mammoth scratch build.

As I mentioned previously, I intended to build this as close to OOTB as I could as I wanted this to sit beside Periwinkle and basically, show how much better the scratch build was than this kit effort.

Comet do provide templates for the collars, however, they are way off. I used theirs as a starting point and concocted my own version - without reference to the plans I have. These collars are done by eye and not by measurement.

First off was to sand the bottom of the styrene to provide a flat base.

S5002277.JPG

I then covered the styrene in BMF. - I still have to trim the one on the far side here - you can see it's slightly out of shape.

S5002278.JPG

Lower collars BMF's and superglued in place.

S5002280.JPG

The process was then repeated for the upper collars.

S5002281.JPG

Joins are slightly out but they will be hidden by the slats.... eventually.

S5002282.JPG

There's still a few wrinkles in the BMF but I want the super glue to fully cure before I start manhandling the stuff trying to buff out any wrinkles.

Now, on to the slats.....

• Like 1