Okay... I couldn't resist it any longer - a little sister for Periwinkle

Sorry Hendie. I never had all of these problems with paint as I am having this year. Let's blame it on the paint manufacturers and not our budding airbrush skills.

Go with the gold and black. Remember all those gold/black special edition car schemes in the 80s?

the weird thing is that the neck bin, eye stalk and hemisphere's were all primed at the same time with the same primer (Krylon rattle can), and they were left for at least 24 hours before spraying the satin black - again, Krylon rattle can, so I am at a loss to explain why some parts were fine and some parts started crazing.

I did notice that the hemisphere's were a different color than the plastic of the rest of the kit, so - different color = different material ???.

It's impossible to tell, but that's the only explanation I have, but they all primed fine with no defects.

• 2 months later...

Hendie. ....

I used to be scared of Daleks when I used to watch Dr.WHO.... seriously I was petrified of them..but now seeing your build that fear has evaporated as I see what they really look like!

It's an AWESOME build so far.

keep it up :worthy:

Edited by HOUSTON

• 1 month later...

... and still on the back burner apparently, though I did get a little done today.

Those of you following my Dauphin/Islander builds will know that I got a load of paint, all of which was the wrong colour. Fortunately, in that batch was a colour I did like - Tamiya Mica Red. The Mica Red has a barely discernible metal flake through it and I do like the shade. Well, it couldn't work for the Dauphin or the Islander, but it can work for this....

S5002066.JPG

So this is actually more of a teaser than it is an update. But at least it is moving forward, albeit at a glacial pace.

I am going for satin black hemisphere's, neck bin etc. Not sure whether to alclad the sticky-outy bits or go with satin black for them as well.

Unfortunately I have a lot of work to do on the hemisphere's- the first time around, the paint cracked, so I will have to rework each and every single darned individual, separate, unique flippin' hemisphere!

.... but at least this one is back on (a very slow) track

• Like 1

This seems to be my day for updating threads - it's great what a day off work can do!

I painted the neck bin rings but paint had built up on the inside of the rings so some sanding was called for to open the rings back out again.

S5002081.JPG

Ten minutes work later

S5002083.JPG

I think I'll need to make some spacers to ensure I get an equal gap between the rings but it doesn't look too bad here.

S5002082.JPG

Only the dome and shoulders left to paint now. I had started spraying them but discovered a few small runs. They didn't show up under primer but did show up when I sprayed the mica red.

I sanded back the runs but went through grey primer back to white primer which I had originally used when I thought this Dalek was going to be white.

That meant that I had to re-prime in grey to get an even coverage with the mica red.

I have to admit that I don't have the same thoroughness in approach to this Dalek as I did with Periwinkle - for some reason I can't force myself to correct every little flaw and defect on this one.

The mica red is definitely growing on me though.

• Like 1

I wasn't sure whether to try the mica red, or go with some metallic - aluminum, silver etc.

After your suggestion the other day, I think I am going to go with gun metal for the hemisphere's, and not black as I had originally planned - thanks!

I think the sheen of the gun metal will definitely go better with the mica flakes. Still not sure about the sticky outy bits though. I gave them a coat of alclad chrome today but I'm not sure I like it - I may head back to satin black for those bits

• Like 1

Isn't it amazing what you can accomplish when you skive off work for a day! Actually, I did have a valid reason for being home, but the valid reason only lasted about 2 hours, but what the heck eh? take it when you can get it.

Today I decided to carry on with the neck bin. It took a little bit of filing and shaping to get the rings to sit right over the vertical bars. I opted not to use glue - these bars were so small that just knew the glue would end up all over the neck.

S5002117.JPG

But once everything was in place, I added a drop of glue to the top of the bars in the hope that they will stay in place. Strangely, I noticed that the black paint had cracked all over the top of the neck, but on the sides it was perfect. I hate paint!

S5002118.JPG

As you can see, the vertical bars sit slightly proud of the neck. Once the glue has cured I shall very gently file down the top of the bars as the dome sits flush with the top of the neck on this version.

S5002120.JPG

I finally got the hemisphere's primed. What a palaver that was. Originally I had sprayed them satin black, but for some unknown reason (no sacrifice?) the paint had cracked on 99% of them. That meant I had to sand them all back. I took each one, stuck it in my drill chuck, and tried very carefully to sand them back smooth again. It looks like it worked.

S5002092.JPG

It has been noted elsewhere that the Comet Dalek has it's flaws. For me, one of them is the lack of detail - for instance, here's the eye....

S5002090.JPG

A layer of paint on that would obscure all the detail. - but I have a plan!

First, drill a small hole, like so

S5002124.JPG

Then, I think I shall use this small disc left over form my Dauphin build just to add a bit of crispness to the front of the eye.

S5002125.JPG

I might try and fit a small clear disc behind the etch - I'm not sure yet.

The shoulders were next in line for treatment. As I will be doing a version with the collars, slats and mesh, I needed to fit stand-offs to the waist section. Comet thoughtfully provide you with 14 of these stand-offs. I don't think that's enough, so I cut a few more using a cast off bulkhead from the Trumpeter Dauphin.

S5002094.JPG

These were all duly glued in place. I used 24 of them in the end.

S5002119.JPG

and that is where I am at this evening. Of course, I couldn't resist stacking it all together to see what it looked like.

S5002121.JPG

Well, it's certainly Dalek shaped, that's for sure. However, there's something not quite right about it. I can't quite put my finger on it but it's close enough for me this time around.

S5002122.JPG

I think I will definitely be going with Nigel's suggestion of a gun metal colour for the hemisphere's. I think I'll use the same colour I used on Robby the Robot.

I had a look at the gun, plunger and eye stalk today, and did a quick test on the alclad chrome - of course it wipes off easily.

I need to figure out what colour the gun, plunger and eye stalk will be. I quite fancied satin black, but who knows?

• Like 3

I really like the red neck rings - very alternative. The finish you have achieved there and in other places is looking very crisp and neat which bodes well for the overall finished effect. Its good to see you are managing to assemble a spares box of sorts.

As to the thing you can't put your finger on, the base of the skirt does not look deep enough to me - maybe that's it?

It could be Nigel. My guess is that something is wrong about the shoulder proportions, but I'd need to go and dig out all my reference stuff again and start measuring up to be sure.

That's not going to happen. I wanted to build this one pretty close to out of the box, complete with flaws, just to have side by side with Periwinkle. That way, it can make my Dalek look better!

• Like 1

Well, it's certainly Dalek shaped, that's for sure. However, there's something not quite right about it. I can't quite put my finger on it but it's close enough for me this time around.

As a fellow Doctor Who fan and Dalek enthusiast, I must say I really like what you are doing here!

As to the thing you can't quite put your finger on, the Comet Dalek has a reputation for being "not quite right" shape-wise. I think the main problem is in the skirt, which is slightly too narrow with incorrect angles around the top and bottom.

Honestly though, I think it looks fine as it is. The old Louis Marx Daleks were much worse anyway...

The body is narrower than Periwinkle's and the area from the arms to the neck rings is longer. It gives a taller, thinner appearance. Perhaps this is a Dalek that either plays basketball or has been on a diet?

• Like 2

Just a small update this evening.

I managed to get the dome and the shoulders painted. The Comet version has a small device that allows the dome to rotate. Of course, that means you have to get it dead center of the neck or it will look a bit iffy.

I started by drilling a small hole in the center of the neck top. I then scribed several concentric grooves in the top, which allowed my to visually center the dome pivot point.

S5002126.JPG

I filed down the vertical bars until they were flush with the top of the neck, then glued the dome pivot in position.

S5002128.JPG

and here's a quick teaser of what this is going to look like when finished.

S5002131.JPG

I did get all the hemisphere's painted today - the same gun metal color that I used on Robby. I also re-primed and painted all the sticky outy bits. - I am really going off alclad fast - it looks great, that is, until you touch it! then it disappears fast. Anyway, I got rid of the alclad and painted everything gun metal.

I should be able to start adding the hemisphere's later this week.

I think the slats will also end up gun metal - I'll need to do a quick test to see what that looks like.

• Like 1