1/48 Hawker Sea Hawk

Thanks for comments!

Looking good ! Am I right that you used Dark Sea Grey, not Extra Dark Sea Grey?? I'm not familiar with the Brit color schemes, but I've seen some debate on this site about the use of these two shades of Grey. Your choice looks to me like photos I have seen of the actual aircraft.

Well, kind of.... I started out using Vallejo paints. With them, extra dark sea grey is actually lighter than dark sea grey... not really what you'd expect. And their EDSG is the better match of the two, I think. But after switching to using Gunze paints, dark sea grey is the one I used, and a close match to the Vallejo EDSG.

That is a real beauty and the Sea Venom is just as nice too. I`m looking forward to the Wyvern and Skyraider,.....are you going to do the Ships Flight Whirlwind too?

Cheers

Tony

A Whirlwind would be a great addition... to be honest though I had a quick look a while back, and couldn't find any pictures of them aboard HMS Eagle during the Suez Crisis. I wasn't even sure if it was that or a Dragonfly that would have been used. It's something I know very little about- I do love the look of those 50's helicopters though.

Having another quick look now, I think it would be a HAR.3 used at the time? Not sure what options there are for that one.

Stunning finish. I really like the subtle weathering. Can I ask what you used for the oil streaks behind the control surface hinges. Very effective.

I used Winsor and Newton oils with AK odorless turpentine. Also did some of the post shading and the panel line wash with them too.

Thanks guys! :)

Dave- I think natural light looks best, but we have three destructive cats on the loose around the house, especially anywhere it's sunny! So I just used the magnifier lamp I have on my desk- seems to work ok so long as it's the only artificial light source used.

Wow, this thread gots me a BARGYIN! Noting Rizzo's comments about the markings (and being less than thrilled with the Trumpeter options), I set about trawling eBay. In about 5 mins I had scored a Buy Now NISB Classic Airframes #465 kit from Canada for a tad over £14. 'Course, the shipping was another tenner and the kit is a dog by all accounts, but I like animals!

If it hadn't been for this lovely build, I wouldn't have bothered looking; much thanks Sir!