TSR.2 WHIFF- BAe Eagle GR.3 16 Sqn RAF Germany 1986

Hiya Folks,

I`m not much of a WHIFF`er but I`ve always fancied doing a TSR.2 in operational colours from the 1980`s and this one represents an aircraft of 16 Sqn based in RAF Germany during 1986. As it was based so close to East Germany there was no need for air to air refuelling (just like the Buccaneers in Germany) as low level over East German airspace wasn`t the most hospitable place for tanking so it is doesn`t have a probe fitted but it does have a pair of long range tanks. It carried the nuke, air launched cruise missile or bomb load internally and four Sidewinders were carried to fight their way to the target if needed. Anyway here is the model;

DSCF0043_zps0ce666e7.jpg

DSCF0047_zpsebc7c4df.jpg

DSCF0061_zps53372b7b.jpg

DSCF0051_zps714b40d5.jpg

DSCF0059_zps0a51715c.jpg

DSCF0052_zps36bb2458.jpg

DSCF0063_zps6813fc61.jpg

DSCF0064_zps679ad11b.jpg

I like it in the wrap around camo but if I build another it might just be white, although an Op Granby one is very tempting!

Cheers

Tony

PS- I meant to say that in my world the original twin wheeled main undercarriage was deleted due to wheel shimmy so the original requirement for rough field operations was revised in the GR.2 version and the additional wheel was deleted, the legs strengthened and the additional space left over in the wheel well was used by extra fuel or ECM gear!

I was going to add outboard pylons fitted with chaff and ECM pods too but upon reflection I thought that the TSR.2 would have enough internal room for the kit to be carried inside so in the interest of speed I eventually decided against these.

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 15

That looks fantastic Tony.

Nice to see one of these 1/72 kits finished again. I also agree with your choice of single main wheels and strengthened undercarriage.

I was thinking of something similar along the lines of a beefier version of the Jaguar main undercarriage.

Martin

It certainly looks the part.

I often wonder how the TSR2 would have performed in service? Would it have performed as we would all like to think it would or was there a design flaw that would ultimately have it consigned to the "Failure" file (or possibly just Dull/Unexciting file) along with the Javelin, Valiant, Swift, F111B etc?

Duncan B

Always love a Whif TSR. Great job. Is this the 1/72 or 1/48 flavour?

The only thing I have to say about the single main wheel is, I'm pretty sure (but I could be wrong) that twin main wheels weren't just for "rough field" performance (which in reality means public roads), but also to bear the weight, especially on landings. I would worry that a single wheel wouldn't be up to it. However, a minor point, and it is, after all, a whif...

Well done Tony, always loved the TSR2, way ahead of it's time. You could just imagine airfields full of them if the politicians hadn't had their say. Congratulations and thanks for sharing your pics.

Colin

Thanks everybody, cheers for taking the time to add your comments and I`m glad you like it, .

I forgot to add clearly that it is the 1/72nd scale Airfix kit.

I`ve seen some wonderfully built and finished TSR.2 WHIFF`s, one of the more modern ones which I liked and which seemed credible wore a grey and sand scheme which was actually trialled on the Tornado along with a shark mouth and there are some great looking 1960`s-70`s era models too such as a 3 Sqn aircraft with white undersides that I saw recently.

Cheers

Tony