Tamiya New Tool 1/350 Yamato +MK1/Pontos PE

I introduced myself a while ago now and have continued to lurk while I waited until I could free up some space in the garage, it was a bit of a dumping ground after recently buying the house.

Finally managed to get setup and started today

So I am returning to modelling after a 18 year break (I'm 36 now) and have got myself the new tool Tamiya Yamato, Tamiya IJN utility boats pack and detail up kits from Pontos, Lionroar and MK1.

This is by no means going to be a quick build so settle in for the long haul, a few pictures of my current build area and the keel being laid, nasty seem to be filled already although as I understand it the rest of the fit should be very good.

EDIT: Moved from dropbox to photobucket - pictures to follow

20140407_193702.jpg

20140407_193748.jpg

20140407_193923.jpg

20140407_194021_LLS.jpg

20140407_194354.jpg

Edited by davetwin
  • Like 2

Looks like a good little modelling area you've got there.

Will be good to see this progress, quite a challenge, certainly a monster of a battleship to be doing, but achievable with time and patience.

Patience is one thing I certainly have, the idea was for something that would take me some time to complete, I work shifts on a 35 hour week which include 12 hour weekend shifts so I get a lot of rest days :winkgrin:

Not done a great deal since my last post as been working nights and SWMBO has had various other chores that needed doing.

Havent started on the hull seam yet just been cutting and preparing bits for now, as well as drilling lots of little holes

I will try and make all the pictures as good as I can but I dont have a fancy camera, all these so far have just been taken with my phone

20140410_181624.jpg

Edited by davetwin
  • Like 1

Your phone is good enough. It's mind numbing drilling all those little holes, isn't it?! Definitely a long haul kit!

If you haven't already got it, then I would definitely recommend you get a hold of 'Anatomy of the ship - Yamato' by Janusz Skulski published by Conway Maritime Press Ltd.

Very impressive book for detail drawings and some of the few photographs existing of the real ship!

There is a film called 'Pacific Battleship Yamato' which, for a couple of quid, makes for good background inspiration.

If that isn't enough, there are plenty of photographs online of the 1/10 scale model in the Yamato museum at Kure, Japan. What we both have is a 1/35 scale model of a 1/10 scale model of Yamato. There are differences!

I give you joy of an awesome model. Loooong build, long long build!

Jocko.

As its been a lovely day today SWMBO decided she was going to spend the day sun bathing, so after I put together the new garden furniture I got to spend about 6-7 hours in the garage "playing with my boat" (as she puts it)

I also got to play with an airbrush for the first time using Vallejo primer, got the hang of it pretty quickly so went ahead and primed up some small pieces, didnt get any pictures of these.

All my pictures will be taken with my Samsung Galaxy S4

Although Im not going for 100% accuracy I do have some reference material

20140412_170816.jpg

A little side project, I picked 2 of these up cheap as chips on fleabay so thought I would get them made up to hold my small bits, didnt take too long

20140414_135807.jpg

Seem all filled using perfect plastic putty, really nice stuff, had to build up numerous layers to get it right, perhaps that was just my technique as I havent used fillers before.

20140414_152904.jpg

Seeing as I had previsouly spent a lot of time cutting, trimming, sanding and drilling I thought I would dry fit all those bits. Wooden deck dry fitted is the MK1, I will be using the Pontos one in the front of picture

20140414_171639.jpg

Hull and stand primed using Tamiya Fine Primer, I am going to finish the stand in a matt black, didnt like the plastic black of the stand.

20140414_210521.jpg

Time to tackle some of the PE, Ive kicked off fitting the deadlights from the lionroar kit, damn small and LOTS of them, there 660 supplied but I havent counted up how many are on the ship

20140414_20580_edit_1397506561014.jpg

20140414_20492_edit_1397506660381.jpg

Thanks for viewing, as I have been out of the game for a while comments and criticism always welcome :thumbsup:

Edited by davetwin
  • Like 3

Good start Dave, the only advice I can give is take your time, dry fit a lot and get rid of any lumps and bumps from the sprue points. There are some really close fits in this build!

I've got my popcorn!

• Like 1

have fitted some more deadlights as well as refining my technique making them much neater, now I have applied a small bit of blu tak to the pointed end of a pin for picking up and applying the PE. I am applying a small tab of gator glue with the end of a cocktail stick

20140416_201754.jpg

Also had a total nightmare, went to pick up the hull to examine it to see if I needed to wet sand before applying final colour and the worst possible thing happened, I DROPPED it :banghead: This is a picture of the damage, could have been worse I suppose, down the local hobbybase today for some milliput.

This will be a bit of a learning curve as I have never used milliput before or even had to make a repair like this, doesnt look to bad to putty up and shape so I am confident

20140417_154802.jpg

Edited by davetwin

Hi Dave,

Ouch, I think we have all dropped one at some point, me more than one! But I am a klutz sometimes. As for the damage, I would recommend squaring the edges off then inserting a piece of plastic card to give the milliput a base to shape from. There may be a better way but with a huge hole it might prove easier.

Looking good on the rest and you have an avid watcher here!

:popcorn:

Justin

• Like 3

Hi Dave,

Ouch, I think we have all dropped one at some point, me more than one! But I am a klutz sometimes. As for the damage, I would recommend squaring the edges off then inserting a piece of plastic card to give the milliput a base to shape from. There may be a better way but with a huge hole it might prove easier.

Looking good on the rest and you have an avid watcher here!

:popcorn:

Justin

Thanks Justin, thats just the sort of advice I'm after. I will have to get some plastic card now. Im curious as its als4 something I have never used before, would you just use normal plastic cement to stick the card in before building up the milliput?

Yeah cut it to shape and just use normal plastic cement. You can get it in different thicknesses and unless you scratch build loads you won't use loads. Plus its cheap as chips. I buy the multi evergreen pack which has 4 different thicknesses and I do some scratch building and still have loads left after 6 months.

But its always useful to have some for repairs and filling gaps, especially if you accidentally cut/file then sand too much of a ships superstructure not once but twice!!! :weep::oops:

But its one of those things that you will need at some point again.

Regards

Justin

• Like 1

Sorry to see the damage Dave, but as Justin says, we've all done it. As an alternative to plasticard, you could use the flat plates on the kit sprues, there should be a few big enough to have the word Tamiya on them. The advantage there is that it will be the same plastic!

Nice work though!

• Like 2

Better to drop it now and get it out of your system for the rest of the build, than to drop it later on when its nearly finished. Great work on the PE so far.

welcome back to the hobby as well. Looking forward to watching this come together.

Cheers Callum

• Like 1

Reminds me of the time I sat on my 1/32 scale Tamiya F-4 fuselage....for some reason I thought it was a good idea to put it down on the chair of my work bench while I worked on other parts and promptly forgot I put it there :mental: Wrapped up in working on the other parts, I decided to have a seat. Fortunately my cat-like reflexes kicked in and I was able to stand up before putting my full weight on it.

Your build is coming along nicely, keep the updates coming.

J.P.

• Like 1

The very kits I was going to buy! Even SWMBO gave the "green light"! Problem was the size of the stash already!!! The whole kit bought would take AGES!!!

Going to keep & eye on this one so "could" be tempted!! Lol

Really good so far....all those holes??????

Have fun & ATB

• Like 1

Sorry to see the damage Dave, but as Justin says, we've all done it. As an alternative to plasticard, you could use the flat plates on the kit sprues, there should be a few big enough to have the word Tamiya on them. The advantage there is that it will be the same plastic!

Nice work though!

:doh: Didn't think of that! A much easier cost free solution! :coolio:

• Like 1

Thanks for all the comments.

Riggers, all the holes are for when placing the gun emplacements, there is not too many to be honest. Im using aftermarket railings which also saves on drilling as the Tamiya railing stancheons needs hundreds of holes to be drilled.

At the moment I have sanded down the break to a right angle and taken the paint off around the area ready for fixing, I will tackle this next week as Im off work for a week so will have more time.

Today I setup my nail technicians light which has 5x magnifigaton and light, I got this off a local facebook selling page for the bargain price of £25, and completed sticking all the deadlighs on the front piece pictured earlier, no photos of this yet. I've counted another 220 odd deadlights to do. Using the magnifiying lamp has made this job even neater.

Edited by davetwin

Not been up to much as other things keep coming up that need doing.

I haven't fixed the hull yet, perhaps will get on that tomorrow. Over the last few days I have been putting together number 1 turret. Cant believe how many parts are involved with this, about 40 used so far, most are internals.

I also started on some real PE use, not just sticking flat bits on, this is my FIRST time and Im glad I've got a few different sets as I ruined a few ladders getting the hang of it. I have straightened the front ladder since this photo was taken after leaving the glue to dry)

20140424_162446.jpg

Edited by davetwin