601 Sqn, Italy, 1944

Gary

Wow, Edgar's document says "Duck-egg blue underneath and plain Mediterranian blue above".

Why are you all seemingly talking about med blue underneath?

And did they mean dark Med blue?

Edited by occa

Given that Light Mediterranean Light Blue was known to have been used and later officially recognised as an underside colour, plus the very dark uppersurfaces seen on Malta in this period, then I think it logical to assume they mean Dark Mediterranean Blue.

An equally surprising part of the request is for duck egg blue undersides, as Sky was not used in the ME theatre following its rejection in 1940 - but then Malta didn't operate under ME command.

• 6 months later...

23-2-43 a DTD Technical Circular was issued, in which it said that fighters for desert areas were to be in desert scheme, with azure blue undersides; other fighters for overseas were to be in Day Fighter Scheme, except for fighters destined for Malta, which were to have Light Mediterranean Blue undersides.

In June/July 1943, 601 was in Luqa, Malta, so any aircraft they took with them from North Africa would probably have been in desert scheme, but, if JF834 was delivered during 601's "Luqa" period, it could (should?) have been Dark Green/Ocean Grey/Light Mediterranean Blue.

2-11-43 a second issue of the Tech. Circular retained the desert scheme for that arena, but the Light Mediterranean Blue was dropped from the other overseas schemes, leaving them in Day Fighter Scheme only.

Edgar

Hello, Everyone,

I'm back beating on this really tired horse after blithering about on a ME 109F in Russia, a turretless Stuart in Italy, and a captured Fokker DVII flown by Canadians in England in 1919: nothing like variety! I'd like to know if the "movement records" (for want of a better term) of individual aircraft are still available for review? Of course, I'm still chasing after good old JF834. If I can track down the date it arrived in 601 Sqn then I may be able to determine the paint scheme (or at least narrow the choices down). Many thanks to Edgar for his post above, and TIA for any further guidance! B)

JF834: 39MU 26-7-43 82MU 8-8 Fort Thom 14-8 Casa 1-9 NAASC 31-10 MAAF 21-6-45 SOC 27-3-47

Air Britain (serials books) gives it as serving with 601 first, so Oct/Nov '43 seems about right. The record cards do (mostly) remain, but the above is about all you'll find on them for an aircraft sent to the Med.

bob