Hi chaps.

Hope this is posted in the right section, thought I might put it here as technically it is sci fi/fantasy, and don't know where else to post it.

This is a small fun build of a solid resin figure of a minion out of despicable me.

Picked it up last year from retro sf.

It's a nice little kit with some good detail, but a bit on the small side, only 2 inches high.

null_zps8f59b83f.jpg

As you can see there are only 5 pieces, so shouldn't be too hard.

null_zps2602cd56.jpg

I have got all the pieces cleaned up and sprayed in primer. The clean up was a bit of a pain as there were some large blocks of excess resin, most notably on the back of his hat. Took some trimming and sanding to get it to a point where I am happy with it. There were also quite a few pin holes from bubbles in his hat, so plenty of filler required.

CAM00123.jpg

CAM00124.jpg

I am now ready to start painting. Hoping to replicate the movie, but I think the checks and diamonds might be fun!

I am now armed with some 0.5mm masking tape and going to take the plunge.

null_zps2b42a23c.jpg

Hope to have some more progress soon, when I can sort out my airbrush, need a new needle as mine is bent.

Thanks for looking.

Matt.

Edited by S5 modeller
  • Like 3

I must admit to a fondness of the films, I have both in dvd, but no kids. My guilty pleasure.

He ended upside down as I needed to prime his feet! I had him right side up for most of it.

Just trying to work out if I can pin his arms to his body, but they are awfully small.

I intend to build a combined putting green base/display stand for him.

Thanks for looking.

Matt.

They are great little kits, I finished this one a couple of weeks ago.

imagejpg1_zps78696d8f.jpg

I'm also working with Domi to produce a kit of the one with the 3 beacons on his head, using LEDs and hopefully some sound!!

Great start Matt, if you follow RetrokiTs on Facebook, he is also doing Captain America, Darth Maul and R2-D2 minions.

Cheers,

Warren

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It's been a while, but time for an update.

Managed to get some paint on my minion. Gave up on my airbrush and decided to tickle him with a hairy stick. Just got some winsor and newton flow improver, and decided to try it for the first time.

CAM00211.jpg

Got some yellow on, but I think it needs a few more coats, using tamiya xf-3 flat yellow.

CAM00210.jpg

Jumper is painted in tamiya xf-5 flat green.

CAM00209.jpg

Shorts are painted with humbrol enamel 133 brown, and shoes with humbrol 21 gloss black.

I intend to try and cut a selection of diamonds out of masking tape, attach them, then paint ovet the lot with tamiya xf-55 deck tan. Hopefully this will give me the correct pattern.

CAM00212.jpg

CAM00213.jpg

Arms had some attention too. There are a few areas that need a bit of a touch up, but overall I am satisfied so far. I think the flow improver is a godsend for brush painting and think it is a necessary addition to anybodies arsenal.

As always I await all your comments.

Matt.

P.s fags not included.

Edited by S5 modeller
  • Like 1

Quick update.

After painting the jumper base coat dark green, I decided to attempt to mask up for the diamonds.

Well, after 2 hours of cutting tamiya tape into 3mm squares, and some eye straining sticking, I have come up with a design.

I think it looks ok, just got to paint the opposite colour now.

CAM00215.jpg

CAM00216.jpg

The back masking went a bit squiffy, as I couldn't get all the squares the same size.

It is the best I can manage with my fat fingers and limited skill, what do you think?

Untill next time.

Matt.

Edited by S5 modeller
  • Like 1

Thanks hendie, after seeing the work you produce, I take that as a massive compliment.

This is the first time I have worked on a figure, couldn't have chosen a much smaller kit to start with if I tried.

I was hoping to just paint across the whole lot with the next colour, but might just try to fill in the gaps individually, as I am worried that the colour might bleed under the tape. Really hard to burnish them down as they are so small they tend to try and move when I rub them.

Oh well, will just gave to give it a go.

Matt.

Top Tip for you regarding the painting Matt.

Make the first thin coat the same colour as the one you've masked off. Any bleed through won't show. Then put the second colour on.

When it's dry but still soft pull the masking off carefully, then when cured a quick going over with micromesh will level everything off.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Will you be glossing it? In my opinion the one madmonk did the colours are brighter much like the actual minions. Unless it's just the lighting youve used in which case I retract my statement.

Great work on the jumper. I may have to get me some of these. I believe your working on 'Kevin'. Love the films.

Thanks for the replies guys.

The pictures make it look darker than it actually is, but I might gloss coat it when I'm done, I'm undecided. I think the tamiya yellow being flat, not gloss, makes it look darker. I have a rattle can of daytona yellow I might try.

Will get a better picture in daylight when I unmask the jumper.

Matt.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Kev, been quite a distraction from the normal stuff I do.

Not made any progress on it since, been in hospital.

These kits are quite well moulded and easy to build, they're cheap too!!

Holding out now for a purple/evil minion I have seen on the starship modeller site, got it on ore order, just gotta wait.

Matt.

These look cool, and I'd have one if I could find one in a pose I liked. Mind you, you could probably sculpt your own with some modelling clay like Das :hmmm:

I know Retrokits are working on a few more action hero versions. I've seen Spiderman, Captain America and Darth Maul on their Facebook page and there may be a joint venture between RetrokiT and Tirydium Models for one minion!!

Cheers,

Warren

• 2 months later...

Hi peeps.

Been a long time since I updated this build, been busy with life and stuff.

Not too much to report, but I took some advice from above ( thanks sleeper service ) and I put another layer of green over my masking.

I then gave it a coat of deck tan.

So here is the result after removing the masking.....

CAM00333.jpg

Needs a couple of little touch ups here and there to the dark green.

As mentioned above, I think it will be gloss coated when finished, but I am toying with the idea of sealing the paint so far, from the feet to the top of his jumper, with klear before I carry on.

Do you think this is a good idea?

Sorry if it looks a bit dull in the photo, my phone wouldn't take a decent photo. It is brighter in real life.

Matt.

Edited by S5 modeller
  • Like 1

Looking very good there! Well Done so far.

I'd be wary of klear it does go brown after a while so I'd go with a proper varnish. I've been using Humbrol mini rattle cans to good effect recently and, if acrylic paint Halfords cans as well.

I think you'd do well to seal it before carrying on though it's your choice.

I like your work on the jumper - that's very tidy masking.

The other Klear Kotes (I've used Matt and Light Sheen) are fine over acrylics, as is Aqua Gloss.

The Klear Kotes are supposedly lacquers although they smell like enamels. I found you can't then use enamels/oil washes over them unless you have a very light touch as they attack the varnish. I haven't had any disasters this way, but I could feel the varnish getting tacky and it was hard to clean the washes off.

As final coats I think they're excellent.

Will