Lesser Spotted Woodpecker

Hi chaps,

Thought I'd enter this unusual kits as I'm struggling to get any progress with the Bulldog. Purchased from HLJ for the princely sum of 405Yen, which unbelievably equates to £2.37 plus approx £3.00 postage...crazy.

As I understand it Gunze Sangyo bought the mould from Airfix several decades ago round about 1983.

Anyway, here's the pics;

IMG_8294_zpsc3137cd4.jpg

IMG_8295_zps1fbb5dfe.jpg

IMG_8296_zps713dbfad.jpg

IMG_8297_zps54e6811b.jpg

Have to say that for a kit of 1980's vintage, it looks pretty good. There is nice detail all over, the only bit I have reservations with is the plastic log it sits on, not sure if that's ever going to look like a tree trunk so might mount it on a real piece of wood, see how I feel when I get there.

Should make a start next week, see you then.

• Like 3

Good Lord, another 'Airfix' bird build. The Airfix originals go for silly money on evilbay, so it is great to see a sensibly priced one being built.

• 1 month later...

Hi Mark,

Got the err..fuselage together, going to paint that first then attach the wings over the top and paint those afterwards. Really hoping to get this done in time, was optimistic until I got a letter on Friday telling me my Mums care home is closing in 4 weeks, can I arrange alternative accommodation for her and thanks for my support!!

Not simple when she's an hour and a half drive away.

IMG_8308_zpsf445f24d.jpg

IMG_8309_zpsc971dc7f.jpg

Quite a tricky little build really, like cracking an Easter egg into pieces in your hands then trying to glue it together again. Hopefully more soon!

• 3 weeks later...

Woohoo! Got it finished...can't quite believe it myself.

I've mounted it on a piece of firewood as I really don't like the look of the base that comes with the kit.

IMG_8311_zps92388ff1.jpg

More in the gallery!

• Like 4

Afraid not Jörgen, not much more to show to be honest, just fixed the legs on, painted him up without the wings on and then glued the wings on having painted the underside first.

Recently got all the other Airfix Bird kits thanks to this GB, from a mixture of ebay and HLJ. Only one I haven't got yet is the Kingfisher, which apart from fetching silly prices on ebay I can't find anywhere else.

Your Bullfinches look great, difficult job to get the plumage tone right, and they look perfect to me.

Does your fantastic woodpecker take up loads of shelf space as im sure that i heard on a wildlife program that they are rare because each bird needs around 1000 ha of woodland for its range

Afraid not Jörgen, not much more to show to be honest, just fixed the legs on, painted him up without the wings on and then glued the wings on having painted the underside first.

Recently got all the other Airfix Bird kits thanks to this GB, from a mixture of ebay and HLJ. Only one I haven't got yet is the Kingfisher, which apart from fetching silly prices on ebay I can't find anywhere else.

Your Bullfinches look great, difficult job to get the plumage tone right, and they look perfect to me.

Thanks. I think the Kingfisher shouldn't be too hard to find at a descent price, if given a little time. I got mine off ebay a year ago for around a tenner.