F-14A Vf-142 and VF-84 dual build (HB 1/48)

Hi I’m back with a new build or builds to be exact this time I will build two F-14A from Hobbyboss in 1/48th scale. Since I saw Top Gun I always wanted a couple of F-14s in my cabinet and it was actually that movie that got me into this hobby from the beginning. I decided on the Hobbyboss after reading a lot on the internet, it would seem that about 50% hate it and 50% love them but I think it’s going to be a great build. I also have some extra bits from Eduard and Aires and the DACO book Is on the way.

I also have the furball sheet with 7 cag birds that I’m going to use. For the markings I have decided to build a bird from VF-84 (of course, who doesn’t want a jolly rogers F-14) and one from VF-142 Ghostriders . I hope that I will be able to finish them this year but we will see. I also have a couple of pictures of all the stuff and also the 7 markings available an lastly my “man cave”.

f6cp.jpg
91ca.jpg
v8xv.jpg
dze4.jpg

Cheers Jakob :bye:

• Like 4

Thanks kwaterous and i will have to check that GB out.

I also have a quick update from the factory. I have removed the forward fuselage from their respective sprues. My first impression is very good and both the fit and detail is great with minimal flash and great surface texture. I also like the riveting and panel lines and if its the mad riveters work then I thank him. Lastly the plastic itself is in my opinion very good, its not so soft as to make it hard to work with and its not brittle and prone to breaking. My initial impression, BUY!

I also started looking at the Aires pit which is as almost always a piece of art. My only complaint is that there is no guide what so ever to how its supposed to sit so I guess I will have to find some pictures showing how it sits in the real plane. If there is someone that has a picture of the part behind the aft bangseat that would be great.

Pictures:
rnp8.jpg
9qsa.jpg
cx5s.jpg
4e4x.jpg
vz77.jpg

Cheers Jakob :bye:

Looking good, I must get on with mine too!

Thanks! I just saw your F-14D and it looks great!

So here’s an update!

The last couple of days work has been mainly sanding and trying to fit the cockpit into the airplane and the first cockpit fits now, one to go. As with most Aires’s stuff the cockpit took quite a lot of sanding but more on that later. First of I did some modification to the cockpit and it involved the locking mechanism of the canopy. The locking mechanism is made up off hooks on the canopy and on the sidewalls and they hook into each other. For the hooks on the canopy Eduard came to the rescue and Aires included some very nice hooks on top of the sidewalls as you can see in the picture:

pum0.jpg

What Aires did miss is that the hooks aren’t supposed to sit level with the top of the sidewall this is how it looks in real life so some modification await:

3z94.jpg

I began with adding some Etch from Eduard and thinned down the HB plastic so that the etch is wider than the plastic thus creating an overhang.

5q0e.jpg

I also added a styrene strip to the top of the Aires sidewalls. The next step was some sanding.

bpd1.jpg

And this is how it looks after some sanding, I must say that I’m very pleased with the result.

s82l.jpg

As I mentioned earlier I have removed quite a lot of resin to fit the cockpit and some plastic also. When I was done I had the impression that the fit of the pit was quite good but comparing it to the cockpit that hasn’t been sanded yet I realize that I’ve gotten used the bad fit of Aires stuff:

wbw6.jpg

hg0e.jpg

rfjw.jpg

See ya!

Jakob

Edited by j8kob_F
  • Like 2

Thanks everybody for all the nice comments. Regarding the GB i was thinking about joining but i realized that I will never be able to finish them in time so I decided not to. Will probably have a new update Friday!

Jakob