Victory 1/100 Heller with Dafi detail etching.

oo arh me old 'arty there Foxy

Good to see the production line back in regular action now your shark bite is healing.

I prefer the Brown for the buckets

Mrs Wifey posted off the memory stick on Monday to you so you should get my jiffy bag soon.

Bye for now - John

Edited by Gimme Shelter

Hi John.
'Yep' the parcel arrived ok, will send back when near complete.

Well its been a long haul on the buckets,'should have done these earlier', but did not have enuff KG crests till Daniel sent me more.
Had to add a plastic strip to the rear of the buckets, once painted black on handles and surrounding area it will not be noticed.

DSCF6734_zpsv4qd9fia.jpg

DSCF6735_zpsnt6bvvl0.jpg

Started the upper shroud ropes and as I used .63mm for the lower, will be using .30mm for the upper shroud ropes.

With .8mm for both on ratlines.

foxy :coolio:

• Like 5

Im just glad there's not that many buckets on my build. Good progress, keep up the good work !!

• Like 1

Great to hear your nose is back to the grind stone mate just take it easy, don't over do it, no pressure but hurry up with those updates (obviously at a leisurely (but speedy)fashion )

On a serious note how complex a kit is this, I'm talking oob no extras, would it be in the bounds of my limited abilities.

• Like 1

Cheers Dan,Kp and John.

KP on the building OOB, Its fine but less detailed than using the etch from Dafis set.

You get build plans in English and French.

It can get complicated when doing the upper rigging, but not Impossible from the drawings, but having some rigging books helps a lot.

Plus some other books on this ship.

From what I have seen of your work, you would have no problem.

Maybe add some better supports and stand to this and it will be fine.

Also make the yards from wood, they are very flimsy once rigged and sag in the a warm room.

Check my progress so far and you will I hope see what is needed from the OOB kit.

• 2 weeks later...

A little behind at the moment with an hour here and there, plus the top shroud deadeyes are smaller and more fiddly.

The pictures show the way I am doing this, with two port and two shroud ropes strb.
using self closing tweezers.

DSCF6739_zpstxaeuzrl.jpg

DSCF6738_zpse2pngeed.jpg

Since these pictures I have only four more shrouds to place, all left loose as tension for the stay's is first before tightening up the shrouds.

So a slow progress, but non the less more showing.

Foxy :coolio:

• Like 5

Frank you are inspirational!

Having just seen this build in the flesh I can tell that the pics cannot convey the majesty of this build.

The model is approx. 700 l x 710 h (28 x 28 1/2 ") and is packed with the most minute detail beautifully presented.

When I joked about sails and running rigging he smiled and produced some of the sails he has started.

The part count, much of which has been scratch built is going to run into thousands.

If ever a topic deserved to be pinned this must be a prime example.

How about taking the finished model to Telford next year Frank?

So pleased to see you on the road to recovery from your recent surgery, keep up the fantastic work

Kev

• Like 4

Hi there Foxy, well I cant add much more to what has just been said, i am following with great interest this rigging hoping that i can learn from it :. In Anticipation of the task ahead with my build I have just brought the excellent book , Rigging period ship models, by Lennarth Peterson,which I dont doubt you already have..But studying the 100 odd pages of line drawings showing just about every detail., one thing has confused me from page one. I cannot understand , can the shrouds be adjusted and tightened by the running rigging once in place or are they fixed ?. .

Keep up the good work

Cheers folks.

Thank you Martin. :winkgrin:

Yes Kev I hope to show next year too :winkgrin:

Hi S.

The shroud running rigging can be made to adjust in this scale.

The bottom has been fixed, but the top is going to be adjustable till the stay's are tensioned up, then fixed.

As this is a static model.

The shroud ropes have to go over the mast heads before adding the stay ropes from mast to mast.

In real life this was how it was done, in model form its much harder.

• Like 1

Thanks so much for your help and advise foxy, at my work rate its going to be a while before starting the shrouds on my build, so will have much time before then to get my head round it all. .

Keep up the good work.

Edited by Stuck
  • Like 1

Cheers Beefy and S.

Well have now done all the top shrouds and also the main stay's.

DSCF6740_zpsuwhbzpy0.jpg

Loose here then main stay ropes put over.

DSCF6746_zpsclzfp3wq.jpg

Tightened up.

DSCF6744_zpsiedqgru2.jpg

Next it was the block/tackle for the sprit main stay ropes.
For anyone doing this, I would suggest that you put the first blocks on the knights head before adding the netting and booms.
This is very fiddly otherwise.

DSCF6748_zps5wtg0ywi.jpg

Fitted the stay ropes over the shroud/mast first then passed down through the bowsprit.
Then comes the block/tackle, if I had done the first block earlier,the remaining block and ropes would have been a lot easier.

Next its the lighter stays to the channels.

Having a good plan on where all goes is a must now.
Will try an explain more as I go along.

• Like 8

Cheers folks, very much appreciated.

Your always welcome Dan mate when ever your down.

Well its organised chaos at the moment.

With all the standing ropes needed.

The Syren blocks I am using are 3mm and 2mm for lesser tension ropes.

First the main tops.
DSCF6753_zpsj3fyxmbk.jpg

Which run down to another set and secured to the channel.

DSCF6751_zps2dn0roid.jpg

Some of the chaos but all in hand.

DSCF6756_zpsgosjl0fz.jpg

DSCF6755_zpsvqsnlw3z.jpg

DSCF6754_zpsvzsbq10v.jpg

Then its the tuther side. made up B/Tackle for both sides so should be a lot faster.

Cheers again for taking an Interest.

Must say I am loving the build.

Foxy :coolio:

• Like 8