EA-18G; Hasegawa v Italeri. 1/48

sailorboy61

I've been reading various reviews on the merits of the Hasegawa / Italeri kits in 1/48 scale.

As expected, the general opinion is that the Hasegawa wins hands down, however, I see the Italeri new mould kit, No.2716 is currently available for around £20, considerably less than the opposition.

Rather than a review, has anyone who's built the Italeri (or both) versions any comments to offer? I appreciate there is still some work to be done on the Italeri kit, but a £30 saving is a considerable incentive to overcome this!

I personally prefer the Italeri version, the only down fall to the fit is it is their F-18F kit with additional underwing stores for the Growler

Hasegawa's kit is the same. But falls down on the Clear parts for me, seams down canopies with the technology manufactures available have is inexcusable, especially with the retail price of Hasegawa's kits in the UK , but overall fit and detail is a little better.

I personally prefer the Italeri version, the only down fall to the fit is it is their F-18F kit with additional underwing stores for the Growler

Hasegawa's kit is the same. But falls down on the Clear parts for me, seams down canopies with the technology manufactures available have is inexcusable, especially with the retail price of Hasegawa's kits in the UK , but overall fit and detail is a little better.

Please elaborate on the technology they have available for making correct bubble canopies without having to make a mould line (which is easy to remove anyway).

If the Italeri kit does not have a mould line on top of the canopy, the shape is most likely wrong.

Jens

growlercanopy_zps46f109d4.jpg

Italeri canopy, not going to get CAD drawnings out for this but to me, if it looks like a ..... then it is a ....., how can one company make a canopy without a seem and the other can't?

growlercanopy_zps46f109d4.jpg

Italeri canopy, not going to get CAD drawnings out for this but to me, if it looks like a ..... then it is a ....., how can one company make a canopy without a seem and the other can't?

If that is your approach to all kits I am sure you will be satisfied with the Italeri kit. :)

Jens

seams down canopies with the technology manufactures available have is inexcusable, especially with the retail price of Hasegawa's kits in the UK , but overall fit and detail is a little better.

Note the Omega cross section of the canopy in this pic: http://www.navair.navy.mil/img/uploads/EA-18G%20maintenance%204.jpg

Which the Italeri version does not have.

I may have been a little overcritical here on this, its fair to say, canopy seems irritate me :)

The Italeri kit is much older than the Hasegawa kit and is a notoriously difficult build, joint lines in awkward places etc. that being said it does look like a Super Hornet when finished.

Being an early kit, the original kits date from the timescale when the Super Hornet was in the test flight stage and some of the exhaust grilles and APU outlets are not representative of production aircraft, but to be fair to Italeri, they changed the tooling when the Growler kit was released.

There are some good on-line builds around and one on Hyperscale that details the modifications required in some depth.

The decals in the E/F kits are typical Italeri quality, but there are dozens of aftermarket sheets available, can't speak for the Growler as I haven't seen the kit.

As with most things you pays you're money and take your choice, the Hasegawa kit is twice the price (at least) of the ItalerI, but is an easier build, but you could also say you get more modelling per pound with the Italeri kit.

Hope this helps, happy modelling.

Ant

Thanks all for the input - I've plumbed for the Italeri kit, reviews seem to indicate its a new moulding with some of the problems rectified, but at less than £20 posted must be worth a go. I have the Hasegawa 1/72 version, but getting past the limits of my eyes and fat little finger!! Let you know!

Hi There

Not sure about the canopy but have a look at this thread This guy is doing amazing things with the Italeri kit and, as stated at the first page, he has excellent references and no small amount of skill.

The Italeri kit is a little more work than many kits but dry fit, fettle and check as you go along and you'll be OK. As you mention £20 is a good price and the decal sheet is pretty good as well.

Enjoy

Dam this forum format; can't quote anyone;;;

As for the canopy, The reason why there is not seam on the Italeri canopy is because Italeri cut corners (like it does with detail /quality) and "inaccurately" tooled the canopy with flat sides. The real Super Hornet (and Legacy Hornet, F-15, F-16, F-14, Harrier... so on) have "Blown" or bubble cross sectional canopies.

Overall, Hasegawa it a more accurate, better detailed, and much better quality Super Hornet and Growler over the Italeri kit.

Mike V

Now I understand Mike V. I never noticed that before. Thanks for the explanation.

In the UK Hasegawa kits are extremely expensive, ordering from overseas is cheaper even if one gets hit by customs duty. However many aren't confident about doing that. RRP of £69.90 Vs £22.50 :yikes: What's that all about???