Tornado F3 APU or cart start?

pittnuma

Quick query, from memory and from all the searches I believe the Tornado has an on-board APU? Thus it would not use a start cart, is that correct?

I could find no pics/youtube of an F3 with a cart.

Presumably the Typhoon never uses a cart either as I know that does have on-board APU

Anybody know for definite, reason I ask is I am going to light my Tornado and Typhoon, I was hoping to use a start cart for somewhere to place the batteries, but that's not really an option if they never used a start cart.

Was going to get the Flightpath 1/32 GPU

Edited by pittnuma

Pittnuma:

For your Tornado F3 only:

The Tornado F3 has a built in APU; RH rear fuselage - just in front of the RH Taileron, in the same position as in the GR Tornado.

The GPU was sometimes used so, IMHO, you could get away with connecting one up.

You would only have to make sure you got it connected the right way, to the correct position on the A/C.

You would need to get another of our learned brethren to point you in the right direction for that - I'm a Rigger!

Cheers, Brian

• Like 1

Not sure about the F3s but on the GR1s we nearly always had the GPU connected to start the APU.

The GPU was normally parked in the GSE bay on the right (stbd) side of the aircraft and plugged in on the RH side of the nose.

1356356_t_zps18bd2e93.jpg

• Like 2

Aha right, thanks, gents.

Don't suppose you have a larger pic do you? As you say I need to make sure I plug it in correctly!

That's that idea sorted, GPU it is.

Edited by pittnuma

Don't suppose you have a larger pic do you? As you say I need to make sure I plug it in correctly!

Here's one plugged in in a HAS which gives you an idea where the socket is.

article-1334745-0C34305E000005DC-47_634x

As I recall ( and it was over 20 years ago) the Tornado always had to run up the APU before it could start the engines. The APU was started with a conventional electric starter motor powered by the GPU or aircraft battery. Once the APU was up to speed it drove the RH gearbox which ran one set of generators and fuel and hydraulic pumps. Then the cross drive would be engaged to drive the LH gearbox which was used to start the LH engine and drive the second set of pumps etc.; then the RH engine would be started. The main reason GPUs were used is that the APUs suffered from wet starts and the batteries couldn't cope with multiple starts very well; we only used battery starts if the AC had landed away at a small airfield or we were really pushed for GPUs on the line.

• Like 4

The Tornado F3 used two kinds of GPU in RAF service.

A smaller type:

8112472843_8eeb1fee4d_c.jpg

And the Houchin 680:

8111887493_655f8020e7_c.jpg

Here are 2 F3s with the two types of GPU.

8495373214_6184d2180d_c.jpg

The Tornado GR1 / GR4 only appeared to use the larger Houchin 680.

7938204256_f2ef8aa186_c.jpg

In a HAS it was normal practice to use the static frequency converter located next to the personnel access door,one of these

http://www.wotol.com/images/thumbs/800x800/740865_87c41138f5c530377e3fcba2f03d46e0.jpg

on the ramp a mobile GPU was used.

In the modded Mk2 HAS's such as those at RAF Laarbruch the GPU was located in its own room to the rear of the bowser shed. The power cables were routed through the HAS wall and connected to the A/C.

XVTonker :pilot:

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

As I recall ( and it was over 20 years ago) the Tornado always had to run up the APU before it could start the engines. The APU was started with a conventional electric starter motor powered by the GPU or aircraft battery. Once the APU was up to speed it drove the RH gearbox which ran one set of generators and fuel and hydraulic pumps. Then the cross drive would be engaged to drive the LH gearbox which was used to start the LH engine and drive the second set of pumps etc.; then the RH engine would be started. The main reason GPUs were used is that the APUs suffered from wet starts and the batteries couldn't cope with multiple starts very well; we only used battery starts if the AC had landed away at a small airfield or we were really pushed for GPUs on the line.

well remembered!! that's how we rolled on 14 sqn, bruggen.......... happy days!!!

• Like 1

We currently use both types of GPU to start Tonkas, all comes down to which GPU's are about and which ones are working. The big Houchin 48kvh's seem to be the more common ones we use and they are more reliable too. Even on current ops, such as Shader, we always use GPU's to start, only use internal batteries to start if no GPU is free or if the GPU is not working properly at the time of the see off

In the modded Mk2 HAS's such as those at RAF Laarbruch the GPU was located in its own room to the rear of the bowser shed. The power cables were routed through the HAS wall and connected to the A/C.

XVTonker :pilot:

same as Brugger's HAS's and as I recall same for Marham back in the day...............

• Like 1

And if someone towed away the Houchin

while it was still connected, then the

gun barrel had to come out before

structural repairs could be carried out.

Ask me how I know.

I repaired two or three at Laarbruch.

• Like 4