1/48 Academy Su-30 Flanker - Complete

I've decided to do a WIP of my next build, Academy's Su-30MK Flanker, my first time with an Academy kit so I'll see how we get on. I'm adding a few bits of AM, the Dreammodels etch set and Wolfpacks update set and K-36 seats. I've been on the look out for some AM decals but there doesn't seem to be too much out there so I'm going to stick with the '501' demo aircraft from the box cover, bought a set of Akan paints specifically for the Su-30MK so hopefully they'll do the job.

018.jpg

Aftermarket stuff...

016.jpg

Edited by Muzz

Straight on with the cockpit, using the Dreammodels instrument panels and centre console, there's also some changes to be made to the front cockpit coaming.

The bits for the cockpit and Wolfpack undercarriage bays, undercoat on...

021-1.jpg

Cockpit painted up and side walls added.....

027.jpg

I've removed the kits undercarriage bays ready for the Wolfpack ones, all pretty straight forward so far, the main undercarriage bay at the top of the photo already has a part fitted, still to do the port side....

019.jpg

Edited by Muzz
  • Like 1

Hi m8, have you seen these sets by begemot? http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/decals/beg/decal_beg_48004.shtml, I have no idea as to their quality though

Thanks Ekonbor, I've had a look at those decals before, there very nice and if there Begemot I'd imagine they'll be good quality. The two or three schemes for an MK that come in that set come in the box anyway, 501 and 502. There are ones there for Venezuela etc as well but I want to do a Russian scheme. Your link was also really helpful as it shows good plans of the camo scheme which varies slightly from Academy.

Muzz

Muzz......

501 & 502 are ex-Chinese Su-30MKK retained by Sukhoi as company demonstrators......

The type is now entering service with the Russian AF as the Su-30M2.... here's one I photographed at MAKS 2012.....

day1_020.JPG

From 2011......

day1_009.JPG

day1_010.JPG

Happy Flankering......

Ken

Ah Ken, I was hoping you'd come along with some of your expert Flanker knowledge! Thanks for the photo's, I'm pretty much committed to doing 501 now. I realise the kits never going to be 100% accurate but would eagerly look for any pointers you have, the Wolfpack update set solves the issue with the fins (I hope!) and I have a Quickboost replacement nose cone on route to me.

I've found the Academy instructions pretty vague and there's no mention of the central fuselage pylons, which ones should be used and are they accurate?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Muzz

Got the wheel bays painted up and fixed into position, as with most things resin the Dremel was out and area's of the wheel bays sanded so much that there's holes! But it all fitted without too much problem. I've also added the intakes before joining the fuselage half's as I thought there might be problems but it all went pretty well. I've also added the PE to the intakes at the moment, there's really nice detail for the auxiliary lower intake in the PE set with the vanes set in the open position but I decided not to use this as I figured this intake would only be open in flight.

023.jpg

024.jpg

026.jpg

Edited by Muzz

For those not aware this kit is basically the old Su-27UB kit with some additional sprues for the parts associated with the Su-30MK. The Su-27 has a centrally located IR sensor in front of the forward canopy where as the Su-30 is offset to starboard. To get round this Academy provide a new Su-30 forward fuselage which requires you to cut the forward fuselage off the upper section only and glue the new section in place. I successfully cut the section of just in front of the rear cockpit and glued the lower and upper main fuselage parts together before fixing the new forward fuselage section in place. It's a bit fiddly due to the curves of the fuselage and there being no locating points but I managed to get a decent fit. Used a combination of some plastic, zap-a-gap and filler to fill the gaps, here it is sanded smooth;

028.jpg

• Like 1

Starting to add the rest of the photo etch detail from the Dreammodels set, I've realised I need to remove an area of plastic directly behind the cockpit which would have been a lot easier to do before it was all fixed together, so its out with the razor saw again.

The square boxed area behind the cockpit needs to go…..

029.jpg

034.jpg

A small amount of filler on the inside to tidy it up a bit and the photo etch is a perfect fit, quite impressed with this Dreammodels set.

035.jpg

Edited by Muzz

That PE set does look good, and the fit of the kit looks better than I'd been lead to believe by other online builds

The PE set has been a good investment, had never heard of Dreammodels before and saw the set on eBay, can't remember how much it was but seem to recall that it was cheaper than if it had been a certain other manufacturer. The photo etch is nice and soft so easy to bend and get it to fit contours etc. Really lovely engine intake detail but unfortunately most of it isn't relevant to an example that isn't in flight.

Don't really know how accurate their detail is mind, but it looks good!

Nice build so far! I had one of these but sold it as it as just too big for my display case!!

That PE set does look good, and the fit of the kit looks better than I'd been lead to believe by other online builds

Didn't really think too much of the size until I just used a good 3 - 4 airbrush cupful's to prime the bugger!

The rest of the photo etch is on and first paint is on with my primer of choice - Alclad Grey Primer & Microfiller.

032-1.jpg

Primer done, really happy with how it's looking, no seams needing attention which is a first for me! Now for a rub down with some micromesh and a couple of wee bits to clean up.

002-2.jpg

• Like 3

hey,great subject and very nice build!

love your PE work!

if you want to improve further, Dream model does PE exhausts that are really recommended! (lots of work though!)

alternatively, Northstar models also does a nice pair of PE nozzles!

think about it!

keep on posting please!

Small update, got the canopy PE built up, test fitted and painted with Akan's Su-30 Interior Grey Dark Blue colour.

002-3.jpg

003-2.jpg

Test fitted;

004-1.jpg

And paint on

006-2.jpg

005-3.jpg

• Like 1

Good work. Does the kit come with the original fins, or just the squared off tips?

Dave

Cheers Dave, the kit comes with the original Su-27 fins, the new Su-30 sprues have the squared off tips and your to cut the original tips off and replace them with the squared of ones. This could be messy and doesn't solve the problem with the extended rudder to the base of the fin which is the main reason I got the Wolfpack update set.

Ever so slightly pee'd off, been waiting weeks for a replacement Quickboost nose cone which I purchased off eBay, thought it was coming from the UK but after I'd purchased it I'm pretty sure the location change to somewhere in eastern Europe. Well it's arrived today and I seriously doubt it's a Quickboost nose cone, no original packaging, not great resin and there's no way it's going to fit. The nose cone is egg shaped and the kit fuselage is a perfect circle!

Edit, I should perhaps learn to read adverts before buying off eBay, just looked at the advert again and it's a L&M Resin product I've bought not Quickboost! :-(

Edited by Muzz

I've started putting down the metal coat on the engine area's and gun area, it looks overdone with the hot metal colours at the moment but planning on toning this down with some more Alclad colours I'm planning on getting tomorrow during a wee visit to Wonderland Models. The pre-shading's done and new Quickboost nose cone ordered and should be here Saturday (lesson learnerd!).

Pre-shading on

001-3.jpg

Alclad started but not finished yet.....

002-4.jpg

005-4.jpg

006-3.jpg

• Like 2

Alclad metal area's finished, quite pleased with how it's turned out.

001-4.jpg

Underside

002-5.jpg

How the nozzles look in place

003-3.jpg

005-5.jpg