VF-74 Phantom in 1/48

Spad

Hi all - I really hope somebody on here can help with this!

I have the Academy F-4B and don't really want to do the kit scheme (although it is very nice!) What I want to do is the VF-74 finish (as an F-4H1 I guess) - it's a nostalgia thing really as the Airfix Phantom really made an impression on me when it appeared back in the 60s.

The question is, though, is there a 1/48 decal sheet out there for the F-4H1? I've seen the 'J' sheet on Phabulous Phantoms (Pt 3?) - I imagine it might be possible to cobble it together from that and the decal box but a pucca sheet would be ideal.

Anyone got any knowledge?

cheers

Rick

• Like 1

Woah! That was quick - thanks Jennings!

Small gap in my knowledge here - is there some connection between Bare Metal/Experts Choice?

ATB

Rick

Several manufacturers did them, but all are out of print. Some were for F4H-1s and some for F-4Js (adaptable to F4H-1s).

Here's some pics I found googleing:

Expert's Choice (Jennings' work is top notch):

02.jpg

Microscale:

ssd480857.JPG

Hase 1/48 F-4J with Eaglestrike decals by Shawn "Phantom" Weiler:

DSC_0281-1.jpg

I am almost sure CAM Decals also did a sheet but cannot find any references. Wish I could help you more but I mainly build 1/72. I cannot understand why manufacturers haven't released new sheets for VF-74 Phantoms, which to me are the most beautiful ones, but hopefully that may soon change?

The Airfix Phantom kit also made an impression on me when I was a kid and I am building it again now, only this time I would like to make it look nice!

Best luck with your search,

Jorge.

Edited by f4h1phantom

Hi all - I really hope somebody on here can help with this!

I have the Academy F-4B and don't really want to do the kit scheme (although it is very nice!) What I want to do is the VF-74 finish (as an F-4H1 I guess) - it's a nostalgia thing really as the Airfix Phantom really made an impression on me when it appeared back in the 60s.

The question is, though, is there a 1/48 decal sheet out there for the F-4H1? I've seen the 'J' sheet on Phabulous Phantoms (Pt 3?) - I imagine it might be possible to cobble it together from that and the decal box but a pucca sheet would be ideal.

Anyone got any knowledge?

cheers

Rick

I've been looking to do the same but without any joy either. In a moment of modelling madness I also wondered how feasible it would be to do a 1/48 collection all in original Airfix 1/72 issue markings.

Peter

• 5 years later...

The first F-4 Phantom I built was an Airfix 1/72 F-4B in VF-74 markings. Though that model is long gone, ever since had a liking for this colourful scheme, besides its significance as the first operational Phantom squadron. The commonly carried assymetric load of a Sparrow on port inboard pylon and a pair of AIM-9Bs on starboard inboard pylon, with 3 tanks, is also an interesting load-out.

Found this film on Youtube and it regenerated interests in building a model of it in 1/72 or 1/48 scale.

Hopefully, a decal of this will one day be available again...else, may have to venture into masking to create the bright red patterns on the fuselage and tail.

Am also always on the lookout for Bu No of line birds, as feel that kits and decal manufacturers seem to mainly focus on commanders' aircraft with Modex 100/101 or 200/201.

From the film and photos from books and the internet, the following table is what I could come up with for the 12 airframes that were first deployed with VF-74 in 1962.

VF-74 1962

Hardly complete, and hopefully more information will turn up along the way.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...