'Different' 48th. Lancaster.

What a beauty,.....without doubt it is one of the best Lancaster models that I have ever seen,.......congratulations!

If I were to be picky I would take a look at the exhausts again as I`m pretty sure that they underlapped each other from the front pointing downwards and not overlapping from the front pointing up like the model (take a look at the real aircraft in the photo) and the kits tyres may not be correct for this aircraft but these are small things and I would be very proud of it.

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot

Very nice. great weathering effect with the paint job.

My wife's grandfather served with 279 sqn when they flew the ASR mission with Hudsons then Warricks. Of course i didn't know she had crab blood in her when we were dating........ :shutup:

Absolutely stunning. Great weathering and the photography really shows it off to advantage. There something really attractive about post-war lancs.

Love it! But I'm inclined to say that the outer most exhaust staining would be to the underside outer face of the wing/nacelle. A nitpick I know and I know, but that was the case. Tony is right in saying the exhausts should point down. I think the tyres are right for a postwar Lanc though. BUT... the model is a beautiful eaxmple. Well done!

Wow chaps, I did not expect this!....a great big thank you for all your comments, MUCH appreciated.

B.T.W. that ‘erk’ looking out of the cockpit really caused some problems as I had to fit him before adding the open-sided

canopy and then masking the whole lot prior to airbrushing.

Now, to Tony; Of course you’re right about the exhausts.......thanks a lot. As for the tire threads, I took my cue from here https://www.flickr.com/photos/8270787@N07/8498937541/in/set-72157605269786717

Also, your Sunderland is a show stopper....congrats.

Paul; The top wing staining comes from this example http://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/e09aa56888a6b488_large and as said, the bottom will receive my attention later.

Max; I am just starting out on the Anson’s painting so, not long now.

Lastly......... must say I am terribly disappointed with the quality of the Photobucket images that appeared in my post. Should any of you be interested, much better examples can be seen here https://www.flickr.com/photos/8270787@N07/sets/72157627639808332/detail/ as well as some of my other models.

Thanks again!

Cheers.

Etienne.

Hello Etienne,

I`m glad that you were OK with my comments about the exhausts,..it is easily done when you are in the final furlong towards finishing a kit when you become blinkered to all of the reference material that you have so carefully collected together,.....well I do anyway!

Re the wheels,.....I made a model in 1/72nd scale of a similar aircraft and I too used treaded tyres,.....I just meant that the kit tyres look a bit small and incorrect. I`m sure Belcher or someone similar does better tyres and they would add so much to your already impressive model. Just for interest, here is my Lanc;

1LancASRIII.jpg

I`m glad that you like the Sunderland too and cheers for saying so,

All the best

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 1

Geez Tony.....my first split second thought when seeing your Lanc was, 'now what happened to my kit's bomb bay' :)

Geat build and finish PLUS underwing stains!

Now why did everybody go on about never seeing a model in this scheme?

Point taken about the wheels......did bother me at first but later said to myself Tamiya would never get it wrong.

Nice chatting to you again.

Cheers till next time,

Etienne.

No worries Etienne,

The underwing staining is more pronounced under and along the outboard section of the outboard nacelle because of the wing dihedral changing,.....which is why it is not as pronounced along the upper wing at this point. If you look at most Lancaster`s they appear to have three exhaust stain lines along the top of the upper wing as the outer stream of exhaust gas mostly goes under the wing. Here it is on my Tiger Force Lanc model with the ASR.III in the background;

1LancCover1-2.jpg

I meant to say that the slit window in front of the square navigators window wasn`t actually present on Lancs which didn`t have windows along the side of the fuselage,....I made the same mistake with my ASR.III too and intend to overpaint it ONE DAY!

Having looked through your wonderful collection of colour photos more than once over the years I still think that you have captured a weathered Temperate Sea Scheme much better than I have!

Chow,

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 3

Windows........so I see mate, so I see.

Once again took my lead from the Hasegawa drawing, in spite of Airfix and Scale Aircraft Modeling articles!

.....damn Japs.........

Oh well, you can't win them all :)

Bye for now,

E.