Operation Tungsten - Fighter Pair (& the rest)

Tomorrow sees the 70th Anniversary of massed raids on 3 April 1944 against the Tirpitz in Kaafjord, Norway by Fleet Air Arm Fairey Barracuda dive-bombers of 8 Carrier Air Wing and 52 Wing. Although the Tirpitz wasn't sunk, she was badly damaged and no longer able to interfere with the ongoing Arctic convoys or to tie down critical naval resources needed for the forthcoming D-Day landings. Tungsten was a key operation for the RN, not least because it immobilised the newly repaired Tirpitz, but also since it marked the first combat operation of a very different FAA from that which had fought the war up to that point.

Newly equipped with modern British and US aircraft, conducting offensive massed multi carrier raids (86 aircraft participated in the operation from the carriers VICTORIOUS, FURIOUS, EMPEROR, FENCER, PURSUER & SEARCHER) in the style pioneered by the US Pacific Fleet, it marked a step change in operating tempo, capability and mode. The 163 Fleet Air Arm personnel in the attacking units included 28 New Zealanders, three Canadians and one South African.

I already have an Op Tungsten Barracuda in the collection, but fighter cover and flak suppression for the raid was provided by Hellcat and Corsair fighters, the latter in its first ever combat operations with the RN.

DSC_0224.JPG

So, as is my want, I have built an example of both this month to add to my WW2 70th Anniversary theme, using the ancient FROG kit for the Hellcat (markings out the kit box), and the more modern Hobbyboss kit for the Corsair (markings out the spares box).

DSC_0165.jpg

The FROG kit hails from the early 1970s (FROG did a lot of OP Tungsten kits), and is typical FROG; OK but chunky and lacking in detail. That said, it looks reasonably convincing, although its undercarriage is far too short, giving it a strange squat look when finished. So much so that I removed it and rebuilt the kit in a wheels-up pose, the first time I have done this in over 20 years!

DSC_0167.jpg

I added the wire aerial and substituted the "alien blob" pilot for a more convincing Airfix one. Other than that, what you see is what you get in the box. The decals, for an 800 Sqn aircraft from HMS EMPEROR, must be over 40 years old but worked superbly, although the fuselage roundel was a little out of register, so I swapped it for a Modeldecal replacement.

DSC_0168.jpg

DSC_0197.jpg

The second model was a far easier build of a modern kit, although not necessarily any more accurate. I've built one of these very low cost kits before (it was a good way of using up the 2nd decal option on a Hasegawa Corsair kit) and despite its simple assembly and very low parts count it, the end result is very pleasing.

DSC_0203.JPG

DSC_0201.JPG

I messed around a bit with the cowling, and added the pilot (Airfix again) and a spare instrument panel decal.

Trying to establish credible markings for Op Tungsten is very difficult as there are very few dateable pictures. In the end I went for an 1836 Sqn aircraft from HMS VICTORIOUS (although I'm not sure of the serial). The other Corsair squadron on VICTORIOUS was 1834, who carried "7" codes.

DSC_0216.JPG

Vought painted their aircraft in "substitute" British colours (as opposed to Grumman's "equivalent" colours, or should that be colors), but there is little agreement on how these should actually look in service, or indeed if they were repainted in the correct colours before use. I've gone for a more green olive drab in place of the dark slate grey and a lighter dark sea grey in place of the extra dark sea grey, the latter being perhaps not light enough based on some photographs, I'm not sure if I'm right (but I defy anyone to prove beyond doubt that I'm wrong in how it turned out!).

DSC_0211.JPG

Decals are from the spares box. I fitted both aerial masts, but with no wire rigged - this may be wrong as well, but photographic evidence I have found is inconclusive.

DSC_0212.JPG

To complete the set then, here are all my Op Tungsten aircraft together, including a Frog Barracuda of 831 Sqn from HMS FURIOUS (827, 829 and 830 also participated) an 881 Sqn WIldcat from HMS PURSUER, plus a Seafire (the latter not the correct squadron which should be 881 or 842). Swordfish from 824 sqn also participated:

FLY NAVY

FredT :)

DSC_0218.JPG

Edited by gengriz
Pictures reinstated!
  • Like 16

Very nice work, I had no idea of OP TUNGSTEN until reading the intro. I also had no idea that the Hellcat and Corsair were uses, let alone a Sough African pilot being involved! A great final spread, nice to see the collection.

What a great group of builds...they look excellent together.

Very nice modelling work and a fascinating piece of history...

Gorgeous work. Can you recommend any books for further reading on TUNGSTEN? I've long been curious about it.

"Target Tirpitz" by Patrick Bishop covers all the attacks, including X-craft mini-subs, the carrier based air attacks, plus the final Tallboy Lancaster attacks.

The Works had it on offer for some time; not sure if they still do.

• Like 2

Great representation of a vital, if often overlooked Fleet Air Arm operation. Particularly good work on the old Frog kit. As you say, Fly Navy!!! Roll on 809 sqn.

• 7 years later...
On 4/2/2014 at 8:54 PM, gengriz said:

Tomorrow sees the 70th Anniversary of massed raids on 3 April 1944 against the Tirpitz in Kaafjord, Norway by Fleet Air Arm Fairey Barracuda dive-bombers of 8 Carrier Air Wing and 52 Wing. Although the Tirpitz wasn't sunk, she was badly damaged and no longer able to interfere with the ongoing Arctic convoys or to tie down critical naval resources needed for the forthcoming D-Day landings. Tungsten was a key operation for the RN

Very interesting. Is it possible to repair broken links in this post?

23 hours ago, GrzeM said:

Very interesting. Is it possible to repair broken links in this post?

Another post that was a victim of Photobucket. \I've reinserted links that hopefully show the same pictures as before.  

3 hours ago, gengriz said:

Another post that was a victim of Photobucket. \I've reinserted links that hopefully show the same pictures as before.  

Great! Thank you! Cool bunch of planes! Does the Barracuda have 1600 lb bomb?

Edited by GrzeM
  • Like 1