Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

AdrianMF

Revell 1/72 F4U Corsair - FINISHED

Recommended Posts

Hello All,

Here's my build, from my late Dad's stash, from I guess the 1970s or 80s. So it may have been under a quid! This is the original 1/72 Revell F4U Corsair, and it doesn't look too bad for its age:

IMG_4208_zpsdeef512d.jpg

I am building more or less out of the box. The cockpit insert is reasonable (compared with the contemporary Airfix peg for the pilot to sit on) and I didn't want to spend too much effort because the canopy is pretty difficult to see through, so I just added a rough control panel and a harness for the pilot:

IMG_4221_zps79c53ecd.jpg

And the pilot needs to see!

IMG_4224_zps44514484.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

Edited by AdrianMF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to the GB Adrian.

Nice choice. I look forward to seeing this progress. How have the decals held up?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Mark,

I'm catching up on posting my photos (I actually started in late Feb), so I can in fact answer that very precisely! Here's the picture I took on Monday after a pre-work decal session:

DSC00077_zpsc82765c6.jpg

They are resistant to extra decal glue (rub the backing paper over the model to transfer more "stick"), strong decal solvent, a puddle of Future and even Mek-Pak! The decal in question is rattling around in the box with the spare parts and shows no signs of damage after two days. I will just limit myself to saying "they aren't over-fragile..."!

I have ordered "Superscale 72-740 F4U-1A & FG-1A Corsairs" from Mr Hannant for the princely sum of £4-odd, so I am still inside my tenner!

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Adrian,,

Great start ..

Love the Corsair so looking good to ME.. Keep us posted... Sone of us do love this WINGY thingy more than other aircrafts... :heart:

:clap:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've now received my decals from Superscale and have applied them over the paint finish. The decals are great, even allowing for the contrast with the Revell ones in the box!

corsair_decals_zps120ea2f0.jpg

The paint job is rattle can halfords white primer, then Hu 144 for intermediate blue and Hu 104 for the dark blue. I applied them by brush and stippled the edges to get a spray effect. I found out that my short nylon stipple brush is not very good (it tends to push paint out of the way), so I cut down a softer natural fibre double-ended brush from a Revell gift set. Natural fibres seem to work a lot better.

The Superscale set has some really beautiful tiny decals with legible lettering for information and warning signs, but a lot of real photos don't show any stencilling, so I think I will leave them off. I will add the tiny serial number and type to the fin but that will be it.

I am going to add the long range tank and block off the holes for the bomb racks, and as it is an in-flight model I will make a spinner with no blades (prop goes to spares box).

Weathering next!

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's moving along at a good pace. She will be finished soon at this rate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice job on that old kit. Coming along nicely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello All,

I managed to get some modelling time this weekend! Quite nice bombs from the kit:

IMG_4336_zpsbb898f4d.jpg

The kit offers options for a big white drop tank, bombs or rockets (only 2 per side!). I chose bombs because the drop tank makes it look rather less purposeful.

I didn't have much left to do. I scratched an engine crank case made from the nose of an Airfix Heinkel 111 bomb, pushrods, a spinner with no blades because it's going to be flying (prop to the spares box). I had already drybrushed a lighter shade of each colour, so I thought I would go light on the weathering with some light exhaust staining. So here it is:

IMG_4340_zps92b59cd3.jpg

Total cost: probably about 50p back in the 1970s, plus £4-odd for the excellent after market decals. I will post a couple more pictures in the gallery.

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

[Edit - decals cost less than I remember. Heading for under a fiver!]

Edited by AdrianMF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is really good. Well done!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The base is 1/4" balsa with an aerial view of water taken from t'interweb wrapped around it and glued on with some gummy glue so as not to soak the paper, with a cocktail stick going through the rear drop tank hole. The water looks a bit more abstract than I expected, but it keeps the model off the floor...

Regards,

Adrian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice one Adrian. :goodjob:

Looks really good, a reminder of knocking these kits together as a kid.

Rob.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice 'Bent winged B.......', well, you know what I mean!

God job on an old classic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...