Airfix 1/48 Supermarine Type 389 / Spitfire Mk XIX (Early)

Another Airfix 1/48 Mk XIX Spitfire done as RM643/Z of 541 Sqn, RAF Benson in late 1944.

Decals are from the Xtradecal sheet X48118 with homemade stencils.

This aircraft is supposed to be one of the early batch without cockpit pressurisation so this was removed from the model and the pilot's door re-scribed - I didn't decide to do this particular aeroplane until after the fuselage was buttoned up so the rear pressure bulkhead got left in place. I added resin fish-tail exhausts, four-spoke wheels, hooks for the long range belly tank, when fitted, and “Rebecca” beam-approach aerial under the fuselage. Apart from that and some Eduard seat belts, that's all I added. Paint is a base layer of Alclad2 Airframe Aluminium and then shades of Vallejo PRU Blue. D-Day stripes are added on top with Tamiya White and Rubber Black.

Sorry about the fuzzy photos.

This is my second Airfix Mk XIX. For the price, I love this kit and plan to use it as a donor for Mk XIV and XVIII conversions (I figure it's cheaper than looking for Aeroclub conversion). There's another photo later in the thread.

SpitfireXIXearly-28.jpg

SpitfireXIXearly-27.jpg

SpitfireXIXearly-25.jpg

SpitfireXIXearly-22-1.jpg

SpitfireXIXearly-19-1.jpg

SpitfireXIXearly-18-1.jpg

SpitfireXIXearly-17-1.jpg

SpitfireXIXearly-15-1.jpg

SpitfireXIXearly-13-1.jpg

SpitfireXIXearly-11-1.jpg

SpitfireXIXearly-26.jpg

SpitfireXIXearly-24-1.jpg

SpitfireXIXearly-23-1.jpg

SpitfireXIXearly-21-1.jpg

SpitfireXIXearly-20-1.jpg

SpitfireXIXearly-16-1.jpg

SpitfireXIXearly-14-1.jpg

SpitfireXIXearly-12-1.jpg

SpitfireXIXearly-10-1.jpg

SpitfireXIXearly-9-1.jpg

SpitfireXIXearly-8.jpg

SpitfireXIXearly-7.jpg

SpitfireXIXearly-6.jpg

SpitfireXIXearly-5.jpg

SpitfireXIXearly-4.jpg

SpitfireXIXearly-3.jpg

SpitfireXIXearly-1.jpg

Edited by CplPunishment
  • Like 12

Are you sure that's a model? I think you just got some photos of the real thing! This is a forum for kits!!!

Stunning work - I really did think the first photo was a photo of the actual Spitfire. Excellent build, painting and weathering.

Well done!!!

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 2

Thanks all for the kind words. The leading edges, wing roots and other chipping, was done by laying down a coat Alclad silver over their primer, sealing it with a thin coat of Klear first, then masking with Microscale's Micro Mask - slightly thinned down and applied with a sharp brush and ripped up bits of oven-cleaning pad. I then pre-shaded then top-coated. In between top coats (of different shades) I also applied more Micro Mask for a 'scuffed' rather than chipped effect. When all was dry I scuffed off the mask/paint with water and a stiff brush. After another Klear sealing and application of decals, I dusted some very thin, light top coat over all the chips and decals just to tone them down a bit.

I think the trick to the chipping is to really use as little of the mask on the cleaning pad as possible before dabbing it in place; to get 'scratches' rather than 'blobs' of it the right place.

• Like 1

I do think it's a nice little kit. Next time I'll go easier on the panel line wash with maybe a lighter grey rather than the very dark grey I used. After that I think it could do with a thinner cockpit transparency. I did sand this one down on the inside to get it to fit over the rear section.

As others have said elsewhere, I hope Airfix are planning a MkXIV/XVIII version sometime soon.

A few comments from the Spitfire-oholic:

What a beautiful bird! Looks ready for her next sortie!

As my uncle Heimie used to say, "Poifect!"

As for me... Ahhhhh Lovvvve Eeeeeeet!!!

• Like 1

Paint is a base layer of Alclad2 Airframe Aluminium and then shades of Vallejo PRU Blue. D-Day stripes are added on top with Tamiya and White and Rubber Black.

Sorry about the fuzzy photos.

This is my second Airfix Mk XIX. For the price, I love this kit and plan to use it as a donor for Mk XIV and XVIII conversions (I figure it's cheaper than looking for Aeroclub conversion).

Very neat. I'd suggest a touch over chipped, as from pics I've seen of PRU aircraft the the paint was well maintained. Faded and stained, not chipped up.

That said the chipping is very well done!

Also, in case you have not seen it, a while back Enzo Matrix posted this thread on Making MkXIV and XVIII

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234936590-theres-more-than-one-way-to-skin-a-cat/

which maybe of use for potential projects.... though I'd suggest using a Airfix 22/24 fuselage as the basis for an Fr XIV/XVIII, see the above thread.

If you need scans of the Cooke XII/XIV/XVIII/XIX drawings for this PM me.

One little item which may help if you want say a PR X or XI, the Occidental/Italeri IX kit has a low thrust line, making the chin too deep, but compared to plans in the Merlin PR Spitfires in detail, it could be the basis of the deeper chin for the oil tank on the PR versions, with a little reshaping and rescribing.

Lots of ways to skin this cat.... though may well mean you end up knee deep is Spitfires

cheers

T

• Like 1

Troy, thanks for the comments. I agree, it is over chipped. But of course, this means I need to try again and do another!

My favourite Spitfire is the FR XVIII. I have an Academy Mk XIV in my stash but every time I look at it I end up putting it away. The whole fuselage is just not right and I can't bring myself to get it done as either a XIV or XVIII. And it looks like Aeroclub conversions are getting hard to come by, and expensive, so using this XIX kit seems like the best cost-effective way to a decent XIV or XVIII.

I am indeed 'knee deep' in Spitfires (well, perhaps 'ankle deep') as I have, amongst a number of other projects, the spare set of FR 47 wings which I thought, with some work, would make a good Mk21 or Seafire 45 with this XIX kit. And Seafire XVII wings to combine with the Mk XII for a Seafire XV. I've also got a resin conversion set for the PR Mk XI.

Anyway, I'd like to take you up on the offer of the Cooke Drawings. I don't currently have anything accurate enough for the cut'n'chop I'd like to do. I'll PM you as soon as I figure out how to do so.

Cheers.