Airfix Folland Gnat T1 - Red Arrows 1/72

Finally the weather is just right to take a few pics outside! This is my effort at the new Airfix 1/72 Gnat kit. I found the kit somewhat fiddly to fit, so much so that this is in fact build No2, build No1 getting trashed as it emerged that it was quite easy to build this kit badly!

28279889919_78fd42782b_o.jpgred3

Main tip is to fit the intakes to the fuselage halves before you fit the cockpit sidewalls, which otherwise will stop them fitting flush. The fit of the wing also needs a fair bit of sanding and fettling to get it to sit down tight against the fuselage without gaps. I also left off the main gear until the rest of the kit was put together - this needs some nervous bending to get them in, but it was a better result than on No1 where I mashed them up proper with misplaced thumbs while sanding the seams.

28279890189_9556b1bedb_o.jpgred1 

Paint is Humbrol Acrylic Arrows Red which sprayed very nicely, and has been observed here, is proper red rather than orange like the Xtracrylix version. Decals are a mixture of kit and the S&M Decals Gnat sheet. The S&M has a number of decals which are not identified on the instruction sheet and after much peering through a magnifying glass I reckoned one tiny one was a Silver Jubilee marking found on the tails of the Red Arrows in 1977. I chatted with Mr S&M (aka Mel) at the Croydon aviation fair in January who confirmed this. As I hadn't seen any kits with this marking I thought I would do one, and found a nice pic of XS107 on the net to use as inspiration.

28279889509_e10162858c_o.jpgred5 

To add a bit of interest I also opened up one of the nose panels as can be seen in a few pics on the net, but as I have no idea what is in there, I just blanked it off and hope no-one objects!!

25187085817_d1417a542b_o.jpgred6 

Hope you like!

28279889789_bede28823a_o.jpgred4 

Pat

Edited by Pat C
  • Like 24

Pat,

A very nice Gnat, very sharp looking finish.

Very nice work, Pat. I do hope Airfix would make on in 1/48. Even at that scale it's small.

Aerofan, I presume you missed the announcements for new kits this year? If you did, you'll like the link below!

Gnat

Also available in a Red Arows boxing for the same price.

Mark.

• Like 1

That looks really cool! I was always sorry when the "Sparrows" went over to the Hawk, IMHO the Gnat is a much prettier aeroplane and seemed, at least, to be more spritely.

Martin

• Like 2

Great job there sir. I concur with your advice offered in regard to the intakes and the main gears. I installed the undercarriage as per the instructions and it was real faff avoiding breakage - which happened on several occasions despite my best efforts :banghead: It does turn out a lovely build though. Intend to do a Red Arrows version (in flight though!)

• Like 1

Very smart indeed. Always been a fave on mine the Gnat. For me its like the Jaguar E-type or MGB roadster or the Air. Who would not want to own one. Such beautiful plane. Yours Is a very tidy build.

I had to buy a second one too not build either yet. But I managed to do something very stupid and leave the 1st one right near the radiator. Yep Its now warped nicely.....

I hope I can get mine to look like this.

Cheers Rob ;)

• Like 1

Hi Par

This is probably the nicest example that I have seen. I had similar construction woes to your first example, but put it down to my ineptitude, as build articles in magazines and online were so glowing!

Thanks for the comments guys. Yes AD it was a bit of a struggle! I even had problems aligning the fuselage halves and ended up gluing the nose section, waiting for it to set then sliding in the cockpit and glueing the rest of the fuselage.

And I forgot to say that on build No1, i filled a large gap under the nose with milliput which set rock hard before I realised it was where the pitot slotted in!! that was the point at which I gave up.

Pat

Edited by Pat C

• 1 year later...