1/72 Amy Johnson's Moth

Hi all,

Finished this a few days ago, only just managed to get some decent pictures!

39186435042_b1b8556cd2_b.jpgIMG_7270_zpsd74194c4 by Ben Standen, on Flickr

38338246665_e43007d458_b.jpgIMG_7269_zps550c7cbe by Ben Standen, on Flickr

39186435792_1734b3b3dd_b.jpgIMG_7268_zps4ef3cab5 by Ben Standen, on Flickr

24352156057_babba4d352_b.jpgIMG_7267_zpsb15a3f8d by Ben Standen, on Flickr

39186436332_f3cefd9d71_b.jpgIMG_7265_zps465013dc by Ben Standen, on Flickr

For an old kit it fell together very well. Little bit of scratching for the cockpit and added all the control wires, very happy with it though all things considered :)

RIGGING TIPS

I was reading through my Airfix club Mag and found a build of the new Gladiator. In the review was a tip that has TOTALLY changed how I rig biplanes (I actually enjoy it now!).

Step 1

Drill a hole half way into the wing at the anchor point.

Step 2

Cut a bit of stretched sprue/nylon/plastic thread a little longer than the size you want.

Step 3

Glue it to both ends and let it dry (yes it'll be very loose and saggy)

Step 4

Turn on your soldering iron and let it heat up. Once hot, put the tip of the soldering iron a few mm beneath the loose wire. This will make it straighten taught very quickly. Be careful not to heat the rigging too much as it will snap. The heat can also damage paintwork and warp the model so make sure the heat is rising vertically up to the wire.

Thanks for looking,

Ben.

Edited by wellsprop
  • Like 10

Nice work there Ben , looks very nice indeed. One thing i noticed tho i think the wheels could do with strightning up a bit. :goodjob:

Oh dear, I just noticed how wonky they are. The struts and axle made the wheels camber :S

Ben. I dont wish to be the harbinger of doom but looking at your model again i think you might have put the undercarrage legs on back to front

I am sure if you carefully remove the undercarrage and turn the whole assembley round you should see a vast improvement.

Ben. I dont wish to be the harbinger of doom but looking at your model again i think you might have put the undercarrage legs on back to front

I am sure if you carefully remove the undercarrage and turn the whole assembley round you should see a vast improvement.

Hey Keith,

Looks to me like it is the right way around ;)

dh60_simonthomas.jpg

I have straightened up the wheels though :P

Thats a liitle beauty Ben, what an excellent job you did on the rigging. The soldering iron also works on fishing line rigging - I sometimes resort to it on my 1/32 biplanes.

(And I agree that the U/C is the right way around!)

Cheers

John