1:35 CRV(T) Scimitar 2 scratch/kitbash build

Oh no! As you say, it looks really good. I was going to ask if there was any way you can take a bit out somewhere, but I guess that's pretty much impossible.

Are you still doing the brass inserts by stacking the strips and drilling through them in one go?

Will

No I built a jig which you can see in the top right corner here

DSC_0936.JPG

which allows me to align the holes for the vertical bar once the panel is built and drill them all in one go. It much more efficient, accurate and faster. I just need to worry about the vertical alignment and the hole then appears in middle of each strip and they are all in line.

• Like 1

Yup, much better than on the earlier Scimitar build.

So I've gone back to the plans and with some measuring and calculating, I shrank my original plan by 8% and that seems to have done the trick:

DSC_0942.JPG

DSC_0943.JPG

Now not only does the front and sides match up, the rear isn't too far back and not only that but the height matches the side bins which if you check my earlier pictures is correct too - the earlier attempt was much too tall! Now we are cooking with gas!!!

Except...

I've got to make another jig as the spacing is all different now and all the work I've done up to now has to be re-done. Again I say thank goodness I ordered another 10 packets of strips last week!!!

• Like 1

So after a trip down to the south coast for the SHouthdowns model show yesterday, I came home with this little beauty:

DSC_0945.JPG

because I've seen photos of the British version here:

DSC02110_zps755b9178.jpg

(sourced from this thread: http://plain-military.proboards.com/thread/5450/ex-pashtun-dawn-2014-last)

which just looks the absolute business! You can immediately se that the kit comes with the American-style bar armour, so that would have to be replaced with the more complicated British bar armour, but I reckon I'm up for that jobbie! Okus I'm sure there are a load of differences to the kit for the British version. Will have to start the in-depth research for that!

in other news, the first of the new sized armour panels have been produced and are looking good, so progress with this continues now I'm back from my travels...

• Like 1

Well I think I can now honestly say YES!!!

DSC_0946.JPG

That is more like it!!! This is now the correct size, both height, width and depth... phew!

DSC_0947.JPG

Now to get on with it...

• Like 2

Your bar armour looks the business! I love the look of that Bronco Buffalo. I have fallen head over heels with the Husky, after spending about 30 minutes drooling over one at Duxford yesterday! I'm sure that I had seen a 1/35 kit of one recently, but research has drawn a blank!

I don't think there is a kit - I wish there was and a Mastiff as well!!! Just been doing the brackets that attach the bar armour to the turret - complicated but looking good!

So this afternoon I was able to build the supporting brackets for the turret bar armour so these have now been attached along with bolts in appropriate places:

DSC_0948.JPG

DSC_0949.JPG

DSC_0950.JPG

DSC_0952.JPG

DSC_0953.JPG

Very happy with how this looks now. Time for some paint when everything is set and dry, which should even out some of the roughness in its appearance. In the meantime, need to start building the hull bar armour... its all go this bank holiday weekend!!!

• Like 1

Well the last couple of days have been spent building more bar armour panels. Here you can see the back door, with the hinges attached and the cut-away in the armour to allow the towing hook to poke out. There are also some connecting rods that attach the hinged bar armour to the door that are not visible here.

DSC_0957.JPG

Here, without the bar armour panel you can see the hinges on the right and the brackets for the connecting rods on the door. Here I'm using the resin pieces that come with the Accurate Armour Warrior bar armour set as they are identical to the fittings for the Scimitar bar armour.

DSC_0961.JPG

Finally in this short update, the right side bar armour constructed so far

DSC_0958.JPG

The extra strips arrived today so I doubt if I will run out and I was able to pick up some 0.5mm diam bras rod from Little Cars at Southdowns show on Saturday, so I'm covered for materials for now!

Edited by Kallisti
  • Like 2

There are more panels under construction as you can see on the printed plan in the above photos, but they need time for the glue to dry before they can be lifted to then have the holes for the vertical bars drilled and then fitted. Each panel is between 2-3 hours work when it comes down to cutting the strip, assembling on the plan, drilling the holes, gluing the brass rod and finally trimming back and finishing. However I usually have 3-4 on the go at any one time.

Very slow and patient work!

Thanks Roger and AD :)

Sadly I completely wrecked one of the new armour panels this evening so will have to build it again - the most difficult part of the process is drilling the holes for the vertical rods and getting them to align properly. During this process several of the horizontal strips broke, so it'll have to be scrapped and another panel built from scratch. Its slow work, but for some reason I enjoy it... yup certifiable, thats me!

After a day out at the Salisbury show, I found the motivation to "get on with it!" yesterday evening and some good progress was the result:

DSC_0962.JPG

As you can see this isn't fully fixed yet, but all the attachment points have been sorted out, there are a quite a few of these:

DSC_0963.JPG

DSC_0964.JPG

DSC_0966.JPG

which compares with the original:

DSC00736.jpg

DSC01016.jpg

Everything has been trimmed ready to fit, will just need to be attached and some bolt heads added to complete it. I'm thinking I should be putting the wheels and tracks on soon. iv'e got the tracks all painted up but not yet weathered.. However, the job today will be to get a move on with the left side panels so that I can them move around to the front and fit the ECM pods along with the front panel. I suspect I may need to be a bit clever with fitting the front panel and keep it so that the width can be adjusted to fit...

• Like 2

Incredible work on this model, I have been a fan of the CVR(T) family since my "Action Man" Scorpion days back in the '70's.

I thought I was up to date with these versatile AFV's but a quick google tells me that the Sabre has been retired and now your model shows that they are fitting Spartan hulls with Scimitar turrets!

Really looking forward to seeing this one finished.

Cheers,

troffa