1:35 CRV(T) Scimitar 2 scratch/kitbash build

This afternoon, after mowing the lawn, it was so nice I ended up sitting out in the garden but didn't want to waste any time on this build so took out with me a bunch of diorama materials to work on the base that this will eventually be displayed on. A year or more ago I built a small base for something else that int he end never used it - can't for the life of me remember what it was, so I thought I'd re-purpose it for this build.

It did need some work as it was geologically inaccurate for a portion of the Sailsbury Plain training area which is a chalk and clay region, so the track needed to be reworked to be more chalky. This was done by grinding down some railway ballast into smaller pieces and mixing with some light grey pastel chalk. Then the bank needed rebuilding with better foliage and grasses. The end result is this:

DSC_0979.JPG

I think the rubberised horsehair may need a bit of trimming as its a bit flyaway at the back :)

This evening will be returning to the bar-armour panels while catching up on Farscape and Stargate SG1 recorded last week... looking forward to it :D

• Like 3

Had a busy few days: tracks on, body painted, right side bar armour built, bar armour panels painted and test fitting:

DSC_0982.JPG

DSC_0984.JPG

DSC_0986.JPG

I used Alcad Chrome for the headlights and my custom sand mix for the overall paint scheme. Sadly I'm running out of my custom paint mix and I'm not sure how well I'll be able to reproduce the mix again!

The bar armour on the above photos is not yet glued into place, its just resting on the various support brackets, but it was enough to allow me to measure up the missing front panel and show that its about 5mm narrower than the plan version, so this allows me to adjust it as the side panels need to be parallel at the front and not played out to allow it to fit!

The two figures have now had their cam painted and still working on the faces, plus some stowage items that still need some work done to pick out highlights and details etc.

DSC_0988.JPG

Its getting closer!!!

• Like 3

I thought I'd point out that the panels are only temporarily fixed and when the get permanently attached they will be much more level than is seen in the second photo!!!

Some big changes today... after running out of the my old colour mix, I spent this morning mixing up a new colour while watching the D-Day commemorations and decided that since I wasn't totally happy with how yellow the previous paint was I'd try a new mix. This was the result:

DSC_0993.JPG

You can see the difference in colour from the wheels to the body. Problem is, this isn't yellow enough!

DSC01016.jpg

So I added a couple of drops to the mix and tried again and got a reasonable colour. In the meantime I added the last bits of detail to the front hull, which includes the plasan plate and the sensor in the middle plus extra wiring on both side of the body:

DSC_1009.JPG

DSC_1008.JPG

Sadly in the repaint I overpainted the carefully sprayed Alcad chrome of the headlights (sigh), so I repainted using Tamiya Titanium silver... and the proceeded to overpaint again by accident when spraying the new additions. Once day I'll get the hang of this painting malarkey!

I then decided it was time to stop muckign about and finally fix the side bar armour panels once and for all.. so I did and then couldn't resist trying this out:

DSC_1014.JPG

Major problem: the turret bar armour interferes with the hull bar armour so there is on way the turret could rotate. I tried adding an extra thick layer around the turret ring but that still doesn't elevate the turret high enough. I reckon the height measurements on the side panels are wrong, but its too frelling late (been watching a lot of Farscape this evening!) to fix that now - I'm NOT rebuilding the whole load of bar armour AGAIN!!! I'm working on the turret armour brackets to see if I can angle them up a bit to at least not have the panels pressing against each other. This model won't have a moveable turret, but I'd like to pose it pointing straight forward, so it has to play nice with the hull.

• Like 3

Thanks Colin, yes indeed, the excitement is building...

One of the things that I'd left until near the end was the gun support mechanism on the front hull deck, ie this:

DSC00692.jpg

So a few scraps of plasticard, strip and rod later...

DSC_1021.JPG

There is another piece that was fabricated after the photo was taken which is the support bracket underneath this. Today was spent putting lots of little details together such as the fire extinguishers and some decals (eg the "Danger, keep away from this door" on the turret. Also put the driver in his place and gave his helmet a microphone. Then this afternoon I had 3 goes at building the very last panel for the front. It took 3 tries because the first one was the full size as designed but that was vastly too wide. The second attempt went totally out of shape so the third attempt ended up about 5mm narrower than the orginal plan and that is what you see here:

DSC_1029.JPG

Its still being glued and it has shown up another slight problem with the bar armour panels, namely the left side protrudes further to the front than the left, so the front panel is crooked. Its not much but I'm a bit at a loss as to what to do about it that doesn't involved taking the panels off and trimming things back! it may be a case of replacing the corner front left corner panel with a different one, with a greater than 45 degree slant to correct for the overshoot...

I'm going to sleep on it. There is a bloody good chance that this will be finished for the club night on Monday - I would never have believed that at the start of the week!!

Edited by Kallisti
  • Like 3

So after almost 2 and a half months, it is DONE!!!!

DSC_1043.JPG

I'll put more photos in the RFI thread...

Phew, that was a bit mammoth! And now for the Buffalo!! Yeah thats going to happen soon...

• Like 4

Yup had a couple of days off work this week, one through sickness and one holiday which allowed me to get a move on as I wanted to finish for club night this Monday.

• 7 years later...
On 3/30/2014 at 7:07 PM, Hamden said:

(You know someone will produce a kit as soon as you finish)

Well after a bit over 7 years later, in theory there should be a kit coming out later this year:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/gecko-models-35gm0051-fv107-cvr-t-scimitar-mk-2-tes--1322484

Needless to say I WILL be getting in and building as soon as possible to compare how accurate I was back in 2014 :)

• Like 3