DeAgostini 'Build the Millenium Falcon'

I Have the original issue of the FM MF, I have some after market stuff including photo etch, clear resin and an engine lighting kit - I have been contemplating selling, but have held off for the time being.

I was of the opinion it was regarded as accurate in most respects, this is the first time I have heard any doubts cast?

But I do agree, it is only a matter of time before we see a Bandai MF.

Marty...

Well, I'm a bit reluctant to point out the main issue. It's one of those situations where, once you've been made aware of the problem, then that becomes the first thing that your eye is drawn to. I can tell you that it's not an easy fix and does require some major surgery (if you want an accurate looking Falcon).

You could always go for the Master Replicas one. Its basically the same as the DeAgostini one will be but without the removable sections. Oh yes and the base is massive. You can get one from ebay.com for a sum of $4500.

I have had the MR one and i totally repainted it. If the DA one is the same as that i will be very happy.

blu2.jpg

blu4.jpg

Next to a Tamiya 1/32 Phantom to show you the size of the 32" Falcon

DSC01705.jpg

Edited by gunpowder17
  • Like 3

I have signed up for this build. I havent had the first issue yet BUT im already having second thoughts. I have just watched the videos again and paused them in places. After looking at my photos of the big master replicas ones i had , im starting to think that the DA one doesnt look quite as good. If DA were to put some proper photos of the actual model up on their site it would help.

Well, I'm a bit reluctant to point out the main issue. It's one of those situations where, once you've been made aware of the problem, then that becomes the first thing that your eye is drawn to. I can tell you that it's not an easy fix and does require some major surgery (if you want an accurate looking Falcon).

Why not? I have down the years most point to some minor niggles none I have seen have reported anything significant accuracy wise. I'm no Star Wars expert so eager to find out - if what I have read is correct the model is based on the "Return of the Jedi" miniature.

Marty...

Why not? I have down the years most point to some minor niggles none I have seen have reported anything significant accuracy wise. I'm no Star Wars expert so eager to find out - if what I have read is correct the model is based on the "Return of the Jedi" miniature.

Marty...

Well, it's only because of past experience, on another forum, where the mere mention of the issues with this kit caused more than a few bun fights (I had no involvement in this myself, I hasten to add. Just a bemused spectator). So, I have no desire for the same thing to happen here, that's all.

I'll knock together some pics, to illustrate the main problem and I'll PM you, okay?. ;)

Well, it's only because of past experience, on another forum, where the mere mention of the issues with this kit caused more than a few bun fights (I had no involvement in this myself, I hasten to add. Just a bemused spectator). So, I have no desire for the same thing to happen here, that's all.

I'll knock together some pics, to illustrate the main problem and I'll PM you, okay?. ;)

I have the Fine Molds Falcon kit back from when it was originally released. I really must crack on with it some day. I'd be really interested to hear about the issues with the kit if you're happy to share this info with me as well. I was always under the impression the Fine Molds kit was an accurate replica. I really enjoyed looking at the sprues and noticing things like Panther/King Tiger engine decks, engine parts and Tamiya .50cal parts etc

As for the De-Agostini model I think I'll give it a miss.

Thanks in advance,

Mark

I bought the first part today at WH Smiths just to see what it was like. Included is a 1:1 scale blueprint of the finished model. ITS BLOODY ENORMOUS!!!! Here it is with my Sony Xperia (5" tall) to set the scale:

DSC_2249.JPG

If iwere to subscribe and build this thing I have no idea where I could display it. They do include a free wall bracket so you could hang it on the wall! This is sadly the biggest single off-putting aspect of it, its just TOO big!

I took a look at the parts that are included in the first issue and there is some nice moulding on the hull panel and you get some pieces of the cockpit, inclding the back wall and a sticker to put on the back wall. What is cunning here is the slots in the back wall will allow light from (I'm assuming) a hidden lamp behind it to shine through...

DSC_2250.JPG

Also included are some metal pieces that assemble one of the pulse cannons. Here is where I foresee problems as the cannon s are not very well moulded and are in metal!

DSC_2251.JPG

I don't know exactly what these are cast in but it isn't white metal - I've just hada go at the cannon nozzle with a file to remove the moulding line you can see in the photo and its was quite tough material. These are also assembled using small screws rather than glue, which means that when its assembled you have a nasty joint line across the back as the fit of the parts isn't particularly impressive:

CSC_2253.JPG

So all in all I can't say I'm all that impressed :(

• Like 1

I agree with Smiffy, even though I won't be one of them now, this will be affordable to many people who would never consider buying something this big normally, and there are plenty of fans out there who would want this!

Reading around the interwebs there seems to be two quite distinct views on DeAgostini part build series. On one side you have people who have collected and built models and overwhelmingly they are very positive about the releases, quality and finished models. On the other side you have people who have never collected and simply looked at the overall price and said "you've got to be ******* kidding me." I have been firmly in the second camp whenever I have seen these things advertised in the past. I really couldn't believe what people would be willing to pay for a model.

That said, considering that I've signed up for the Falcon build suggests that DeAgostini just never had an offering I actually wanted. While the overall cost is still extortionate with some work you will end up with a model that would cost many times more to acquire in any other way.

I'm sure there will be issues with the build, but fixing those is part of the fun. Looking at the first parts it is quite clear that the model will need a full repaint, both inside and out, but that gives a chance to personalise the build. Likewise with the metal pulse cannons need work, such as drilling out the ends, removing seams and tidying up joins, but this is something that needs doing on most builds.

I do admit I have some reservations (mainly about cost, cost and cost), but at the same time I'm really looking forward to this.

• Like 1

Reading around the interwebs there seems to be two quite distinct views on DeAgostini part build series. On one side you have people who have collected and built models and overwhelmingly they are very positive about the releases, quality and finished models. On the other side you have people who have never collected and simply looked at the overall price and said "you've got to be ******* kidding me." I have been firmly in the second camp whenever I have seen these things advertised in the past. I really couldn't believe what people would be willing to pay for a model.

That said, considering that I've signed up for the Falcon build suggests that DeAgostini just never had an offering I actually wanted. While the overall cost is still extortionate with some work you will end up with a model that would cost many times more to acquire in any other way.

I'm sure there will be issues with the build, but fixing those is part of the fun. Looking at the first parts it is quite clear that the model will need a full repaint, both inside and out, but that gives a chance to personalise the build. Likewise with the metal pulse cannons need work, such as drilling out the ends, removing seams and tidying up joins, but this is something that needs doing on most builds.

I do admit I have some reservations (mainly about cost, cost and cost), but at the same time I'm really looking forward to this.

Couldn't have put it better myself

• Like 1

Still waiting to hear what this so called major accuracy issue is......

Even so have ordered it and im sure if there is any accuracy issue that is actual and not just ill percieved its nothing a bit of modelmaking wont sort out.

Edited by markjames68

It's only about cost when you add up the total sum, £9 a week, your not going to miss, shelling out £900 in one go and yes it would be hard.

Don't look at the total, just buy it and enjoy, some people blow more than that a week and have zilch to show for it.

• Like 2

It's only about cost when you add up the total sum, £9 a week, your not going to miss, shelling out £900 in one go and yes it would be hard.

Don't look at the total, just buy it and enjoy, some people blow more than that a week and have zilch to show for it.

That is very true, its only the cost of a couple of pints each week and it will be a massive model.

You only have to look at the price of some of the other larg scale models out there. Pocher 1/8 cars for example

Still waiting to hear what this so called major accuracy issue is......

Even so have ordered it and im sure if there is any accuracy issue that is actual and not just ill percieved its nothing a bit of modelmaking wont sort out.

No, the accuracy issue being discussed, involved the Finemolds Falcon, not the DeAg one. ;)