DeAgostini 'Build the Millenium Falcon'

Just picked up the first issue of this: http://shop.deagostini.co.uk/build-the-millennium-falcon.html

Somehow it slipped under the radar for me. I haven't decided if it's worth the £900 it will cost to collect all the issues yet, but the inital issue parts seem quite good.

Anyone else considering this one?

Cheers,

Stuart

Build the Millennium Falcon is an exciting new magazine series where you can build a 1:1 scale replica of Han Solo’s famous starship from the Star Wars films.

If it's 1:1 scale as the web says, totally worth it!

...shame the next sentence shows 1:1 - to the model used :P

• 4 weeks later...

So just how big is it?

It says it's the same size as the model prop used in The Empire Strikes Back. Not the one used in Star Wars - A New Hope then....because it was rather big.

I got a few issues with the idea of doing a 'Hasbrostini' toy conversion but, from what I have seen so far, there is no way it's worth £900.

They may have had copyright problems because the photos show the Master Replicas Falcon and not their own product. Also the Finemolds 1:72 is being re-released next month and some people may have dropped the magazine in favour of buying that.

After building the Eaglemoss DB5, I have to say I'm also of the 'big toy' brigade.

I spent ages adding details to the car along with a real leather interior and 'proper' wire wheels, but it won't ever be a favourite on my shelf.

There's just 'something' that looks 'toyish' about it.

I suspect the MF would be similar - a VERY BIG toy.

Also, are they suspending due to lack of initial sales?

All you can do is hope for more.

Roy.

Part works are notorious for not running their full course and normally it's either lack of, or declining sales. I would be very surprised if someone like DeAgostini didn't have the rights issues tied up - if not it's a gargantuan schoolboy error. At least they pulled it early, it would be extremely frustrating for those sticking with it to see it pulled 2/3rds the way through the run.

Marty...

Edited by marty_hopkirk

This was only released in a small part of the UK to "test the water" and I believe is based on the Master Replicas model which in turn was claimed to be "studio model accurate".

It's common practice for partworks, a few issues are released and then production is suspended pending review, if they're happy with the sales then it gets a nationwide release a few months later.

Not sure why they felt the need to test a Star Wars product as there are plenty of people who would buy anything from that franchise by the crate load.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

For those that are interested this goes live on 31st December.

It has been improved on since the test build earlier in the year, with parts looking much better in the pictures on their website http://www.buildmillenniumfalcon.com/#your-model

With regards to the comments about copyright due to images of the Master Replicas falcon that was used, Stephen Dymso, the chap behind Master Replicas who was involved with the Master Replica build, has been involved with DeAgostini's Millennium Falcon also.

If like myself you returned the card at the end of the test build to say you were interested in continuing the build when it was released then you will now get issues 1-4 again, due to the improvements, free of charge, as well as issue 5 also free of charge.

You should have received an email with a reference quote, you just need to phone them up and quote that reference

• Like 1

Big! :blink:

If the Finemolds kit is coming out again, I'd probably plump for that though, as A ) it's huge, and I'd never find anywhere to put it, and B ) It's expensiver :dunce:

Big! :blink:

If the Finemolds kit is coming out again, I'd probably plump for that though, as A ) it's huge, and I'd never find anywhere to put it, and B ) It's expensiver :dunce:

Eh..more expensive?..lol. Yes I was thinking that too, a 1/72 would probably make more sense size wise!

Do you think this part work will run its course, I am seriously interested in building it?

I have no doubts about it running its course, I do not know of a part works that hasnt run its course, you have to discount tests though as they are only run for 4 to 5 issues to test the market place.

• Like 1

I don't think I'll be giving them £900 for a pre painted model!

I suppose you could spend thousands on the Master Replicas pre painted model. Stephen Dymso of Master Replicas has been involved with this project as well as supplying all the reference material and original scans used for the Master Replicas falcon

I guess overpriced is a subjective term. These things take a lot of time and effort to bring together and isn't going to shift tens of thousands of units.

Part works get a bad press on the cost front, but at least they offer an affordable way of obtaining something like this - but, they should give a commitment to complete the run.

Marty...

Edited by marty_hopkirk

Also the Finemolds 1:72 is being re-released next month and some people may have dropped the magazine in favour of buying that.

Do we have a source for this? :Tasty:

As an addendum to this, I've just translated the Finemolds site, and there's a note on there that (translated) says "Star Wars plastic model series Production has ended. Thank you for a long time for your patronage". Seems likely that this is not going to happen then :(