Revell 1/144 F-14A Black Tomcat (Vandy One scheme) ** BUILD COMPLETE **

Hi Everyone,

Here is my build for the F-14 Tomcat II Group Build.

I have selected a Revell 1/144 kit of an F-14A Tomcat in the Vandy One black scheme.

Here is a photo of the actual jet, I have not taken any pictures of the sprues yet as the kit is drying after a wash in the sink with washing up liquid to prepare the kit for painting.

Actual jet :
Vandy1_zpsf76b76a6.jpg

I will update this post with a photo of the sprues a bit later on.

Rick

Edited by Rickpadwick1801
  • Like 2

Good choice.

Thanks Neal,

I might be buying another one of these kits to do another F-14A in a scheme for VF-142 Ghostriders from CVW6, USS America in 1976, but for the moment this thread will be for Vandy One.

Rick

Thanks Neal,

I might be buying another one of these kits to do another F-14A in a scheme for VF-142 Ghostriders from CVW6, USS America in 1976, but for the moment this thread will be for Vandy One.

Rick

Good idea. DaveJL did the vandy one scheme in the last GB, appart from being in the "wrong" scale he did a great job on the subtle tonal variations in the black, might be worth a look

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234911470-148-f-14d-vx-9-vampires-vandy-1/page-2

Hi Everyone,

Here are the black sprues for this kit. Along with these sprues there is 1 clear part (the canopy) supplied on a sprue on its own.

Sprues_zps8981d598.jpg

I'm going to make a start on the painting over the next few days.

Cheers,

Rick

• Like 1

UPDATE:

Not much progress at the moment.

I have started painting the components of the kit including cockpit tub, ejector seats and fuselage parts.

I am working on this while other kits were drying.

Photos tomorrow.

Rick

Here is the first real update for this kit.

I am really happy with the way this kit is going together and am thoroughly enjoying the build. I am going to buy another kit to do the fleet squadron that it comes with decals for.

Here are the photos of the completed stages :

Cockpit assembled:

CockpitAssembled_zps3747ecd2.jpg

Cockpit Comparison :

Fuselagecomparison_zps0999f944.jpg

Forward Fuselage assembled :

ForwardFuselage_zps2cd41133.jpg

Wing sweep mechanism installed :

WingSweep_zps1d899c7d.jpg

Rear Fuselage Assembled:

Fuselageassembled_zps5ffa4c77.jpg

Full Fuselage assembly:

Fullfuselagebuilt_zps50dfd2d9.jpg

I will be finishing this build and then looking at other 1/144 scale models to build as I am finding it nice to build a simpler, smaller kit.

Thanks for looking.

Rick

Edited by Rickpadwick1801
  • Like 4

Small update (no photos):

I am currently painting the last components of this kit so that I can get it finished this week.

Photos to follow when complete probably tonight (as I am at work at the moment SSSHHH!!!)

Blimey, that's really rapid progress. Looking forward to seeing the update.

That was quick ! These 1/144 revell kits are little gems, no surprise there are so many in this STGB

Hi Guys,

I have been spending more time on this kit than on any of my other builds.

I am hoping to get it finished this weekend, so I need to finish the painting and assembly so I can do decals at the weekend.

Rick

I really did not realise just how little is left to paint on this kit.

The exhaust nozzles, arrestor hook and landing gear legs have been painted. The missiles (2 Phoenix, 2 Sparrows and 2 Sidewinders) have had their main paint color, just got to paint the secondary colour on them.

I have got to paint the Phoenix missile pylons, landing gear tyres, drop tanks and missile pylons to complete the paint work on this build.

I will be starting work on the final painting in a couple of hours. Photos to follow later.

Rick

Here is tonight's final update with photos.

I have got the plane completely assembled including landing gear, arrestor hook, canopy and tail fins.

The only stages left are to assemble the weapons (2 Sparrows, 2 Sidewinders, 2 Phoenixes and 2 drop tanks) and attach them to the plane.

Here are the photos.

Landing Gear & Arrestor Hawk installed:

LandingGearampArrestorHawk_zps18c47d09.j

Exhausts Installed:

Exhausts_zps73598ab1.jpg

Canopy Installed:

Canopy_zps12893c9a.jpg

Tail Fins Installed:

Tail_zpsb46282f6.jpg

Fully Assembled Plane:

FullyAssembledPlane_zpsf135c806.jpg

Excuse the yellowness of the photos and the blurred look of the last photo, I had to take them without a flash on as the surface of my desk is extremely reflective.

I will be working on the ordnance loading tomorrow evening after work and will post more photos.

After that all that is left are the decals to be applied.

Thanks for looking,

Rick

• Like 1

Looks like you'll be the first finished model in the gallery :goodjob:

Rick,

IMPRESSIVE job ...

:mike:

Thanks Guys,

I am going to be getting the decals and ordnance applied tonight. I want this kit finished tonight rather than at the weekend.

I will definately be buying another kit to do the other decal option for this kit.

So that will be 2 F-14s for the group build.

Keep looking for final photos.

Rick