Beefys Boatyard 1/35 MTB 74 St Nazaire Raid

Started to add some detail to the flying bridge different gauge brass and lead wire for conduit and cables and copying from photos from some of my reference books extra details in the form of boxes and lockers to the bridge walls

Will also be adding some of the missing bolt heads to the mounting frame work on the torpedo tubes using this set from Meng gives you different size heads for both ends on either side of the sheet neat little set and should save some time instead of using the old punch and die set

Picture_0843.jpg

Beefy

Some of the figures that I will be trying to convert to Maintenance crew and the Accurate Armour 20 mm

Picture_0571.jpg

And one of the Wee Friends figures along with the nearly complete CWT truck and some packing cases that I got from SB models

Picture_0823.jpg

• Like 4

Did a bit more spending out this weekend. Bought the Griffon brass upgrades for the twin Lewis mounts and the Holman projectors. Quick question I currently have 3 ft of dockside built. Now question is I also have in the stash the Italeri LCVP. I was going to build up separately however with such a long dock I was thinking of mooring it aft of the MTB (In for a penny and all that.)

Chuck i think with the LCVP you might need a bit more dockside the LCVP is about another 60 cm long so that might work out at another full dockside section you will need. Just with the MTB in my dio the dockside is 100 cm long and that gives about 3 inches either side.

Picture_0525.jpg

That is with the dockside built up from the long dock and steps sets

Beefy

Yep you are right, way too long with both craft. I did consider putting it outboard of the MTB however too wide! I have put the dock together with the steps section in the middle.I am putting the gangway aft on the boat with the bow facing opposite way around to yours. I am goiing to have a Bofors on the jetty with a sandbagged position and the crew looking on at the prisoners getting in the back of the wagon. Found my MG Magnette did consider having that as the skippers car. Got the Tamiya paras and bikes so can build up the quay side clutter. Cant beat a pair of pussers treaders on the jetty with assorted crates and stores.

• 2 weeks later...

Some more detail work done on both sides of the flying bridge and painting started and weathering on the wheel house inside

IMG_000215.JPG

Also replaced the moulded on cleats on the starboard side of the bridge

IMG_000121.JPG

And the interior using oil paints to try and get the mahogany finish to the unpainted wood areas

IMG_000817.JPG

Most of which you will probably not see when closed up but I know it is there ??

That is it for now

Cheers for looking in Beefy

Beefy, bad news my instructions for my MTB have been ditched by SWMBO, she is very sorry, partly my fault as I moved them from the workbench to the living room as I was reading up on info for the RU lockers for my 20mm

Gutted and annoyed!

• 10 months later...

OK so getting this one back on track so to speak nearly got the Z25 done and have been thinking about this build going to change things a bit the original Vosper boat will now be built going at speed in another Diorama similar to my Elco build this is going to be the new boat at the dock side and will be using some of these figures that I picked up.

IMG_0351_zps9jmhzref.jpg

IMG_0353_zpsopbmy7n6.jpg

Beefy

• Like 1

The parts count on this boat is a lot smaller than the original boat started to mock up what it will look like the tubes and fish are smaller to next to the other ones

IMG_0360_zpspakhm0xo.jpg

IMG_0361_zps7isdg5gb.jpg

IMG_0364_zps2eaqyorw.jpg

Beefy

• Like 1

Cheers Kev my build rate has been real slow the last couple of months now that things are not so demanding at work hopefully I can get more time at the model bench and get a few more things done with my weekends instead of being at work most of them :banghead:

Beefy

Hi Keith,

the camo should give this build a huge :wow: :wow: factor. I am rather surprised that Italeri managed to provide even less parts on this model than on the original Vosper.

I did the "amazing, disappearing model box contents" spoof on my Vosper build over on the forum that I will not mention :rules:

Hi Julian Yes I remember your build along with Warren and Daniel very entertaining it was too

When you look at this one in the box with only the 4 sprues for the main parts it does make you think what a disappointment :badmood:

But like you said should have a good bit of fun with the painting that is if I can keep up the pace on this one without getting bogged down :poke:

Does anybody out there have any more info or photos of this boat I only have the booklet that comes with the original Vosper and the osprey book on MTB,s :book:

Cheers

Beefy

Still looking for some reference photos if anybody can help please on most of the photos I have of MTB craft they have the engine exhaust holes on both sides of the hull I know that MTB 74 was converted for the raid on the dock and the exhausts were then routed over the aft part of the deck the question is would the existing holes have been just covered by a plate or would they have re-done the hull sides with replacement planking ??/ :shrug::shrug:

Beefy

Hi Beefy,

This pic would indicate the over board exhausts were still there, probably blanked off inside

mtb74a_zpswv4esfk6.jpg

Couple of other pics for reference

Royal_Navy_MTB74_zps6zcytc3v.jpg

424378_zpsuukj29gd.jpg

Hope this helps, I'm sure I've got plans somewhere if that would help

Kev

• Like 3

Thanks for that Kev looking at your photos they are similar to what I have but they must be just after she was completed I think as they do not show the exhausts on the deck and the cage on the fordeck which was present at the time of the ST Nazarie raid which I have no clue what that was for either think it had something to do with launching the 18 inch torpedoes over the dock gates or the torpedo nets that were around that area for shipping protection still looking and planning though :banghead::banghead:

Beefy