Beefys Boatyard 1/35 MTB 74 St Nazaire Raid

Well got the glazing done which on these things I normally make a right pigs ear of I think looks ok construction is nearly all done only the wheel house and mast to secure in place and then I can add rigging and weathering starting to get some were nearly done with this project now :bangin:

IMG_0555_zpsy1ircubn.jpg

Beefy

• Like 7

Well got the glazing done which on these things I normally make a right pigs ear of I think looks ok construction is nearly all done only the wheel house and mast to secure in place and then I can add rigging and weathering starting to get some were nearly done with this project now :bangin:

Beefy

Looking really excellent Keith,

Might have me buying one yet :goodjob:

• Like 1

Coming together very nicely now Keith

The camo job catches my eye every time I come on your post, looks excellent

Kev

I couldn't help noticing you used the Akan paint set for this build. How are Akan paints to use? Looks as if they snuggle down very smoothly.

• Like 1

Gent,s thanks for your kind words of encouragement again with this build

I couldn't help noticing you used the Akan paint set for this build. How are Akan paints to use? Looks as if they snuggle down very smoothly.

Julian the Akan paints are very good only problem I had was with the white spitting a bit at first but just added a little bit more thinners in the form of Halfords neat screen wash and just went for a couple of thin coats and it worked out well

as it happens I was going to ask all of you some advise what would you recommend for the weathering on this boat I was going to just go for a thin dark oil wash all over and pick out some of the deck details or do you think this should be a just out of the yard look :book:

Beefy

• Like 2

Gent,s thanks for your kind words of encouragement again with this build

Julian the Akan paints are very good only problem I had was with the white spitting a bit at first but just added a little bit more thinners in the form of Halfords neat screen wash and just went for a couple of thin coats and it worked out well

as it happens I was going to ask all of you some advise what would you recommend for the weathering on this boat I was going to just go for a thin dark oil wash all over and pick out some of the deck details or do you think this should be a just out of the yard look :book:

Beefy

Thanks Keith, I'll try and get hold of some Akan.

Was the paint job applied especially for the St. Nazaire raid? If so I would only do a couple of brownish oil washes and maybe a little light chipping.

:winkgrin:

• Like 1

As far as I can get reference for this was a one off boat converted half way through basic construction just for operation Chariot

still have the frame work to add to the fore deck to go between the torpedo launchers that is shown on plans but have no photo evidence for this :shrug:

I would only do a couple of brownish oil washes and maybe a little light chipping.

That was my plan just to show some light wear because of crew training and sea trials before the raid.

keith

• Like 1

I don't think it was around long enough to weather at all, really. I've seen a few pics of her and I think best keep it very light.

• Like 1

OK small update sorry about the photo being dark not much daylight up here in the North East these days and as the weather man says Winter is coming :cold:

I have built up the Frame work to sit on the fore deck and put in place not glued yet as still unsure weather or not to use this what do you all think

IMG_0556_zpsq3fb2dia.jpg

Beefy

• Like 2

OK small update sorry about the photo being dark not much daylight up here in the North East these days and as the weather man says Winter is coming :cold:

I have built up the Frame work to sit on the fore deck and put in place not glued yet as still unsure weather or not to use this what do you all think

IMG_0556_zpsq3fb2dia.jpg

Beefy

Have you got some reference photos of the real sized framework? Looks a bit heavy to me but I don't know what the original frame looked like.

• Like 2

Julian only very limited info on this particular boat All reference photos shown her without the frame but there are plenty of plan Drawings in various books that show the frame work inplace

large.jpg

mtb74side.jpg

Still think I should leave it off as in some previous photos

Beefy

Hang on, hang on 'ere ! The question is not if it looks better without if I remember correctly, but is it an accurate representation of the real deal. Nothing is going to look sleek and deadly with such a huge protuberance stuck on its bow is it? I can't imagine Italeri adding these pieces to a kit that portrays a very special version of a Vosper adapted for a very special role in a very special operation if they had not been of great signficance to the Vosper version as sold. They may be too thick, they may look wrong and they may look just plain ugly, but if you are building the St. Nazaire Vosper and it had this frame stuck on it's nose don't get wobbly kneed and leave it off because it looks yukky. Wow! multiple sentences :winkgrin::oops:

Your build Keith, do what you think is right :coolio::yahoo:

Edited by Gremlin56
  • Like 3

Quite right Julian, got a bit carried away........

Back to facts

The only place the frame appears is on Vosper's ' as fitted ' Drawing 9886. This is for the modifications reqd to enable the MTB to fire her torpedoes over a net defence system. The plan was set up for an attack on the Scharnhorst at Brest. After the Channel Dash they were unemployed!!

On the St Nazaire raid she fired her delayed action torpedoes at the old lock gates.

The only pics I can find show her without the cradle, two of which show MTB74 alongside ergo No Frame

Which I'm sure I meant to say in post 139 :winkgrin:

Kev

• Like 2

This is starting to come together very nicely.

Paintwork on the boat looks spot on.

Its nice to see that the crewmen are actually in poses they were designed for

..not doing the hokey cokey ...but stroking a torpedo lol

Good job

Cheers

K

• Like 1

Well gentlemen thank you for your views during this debate and the continued support on this project :thumbsup:

after having a good think and re-goggling any info I could I have decided to go with the majority vote on this

To parafrase Clint Eastwood's "Trash the Caddy Clyde" in "Any which way but loose" :

Trash the frame Keith :winkgrin::oops:

The frame has been duly trashed and this build will try and represent this photo of MTB 74 at the dockside being readied for operation Chariot

na15.jpg

Beefy

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Well holiday season and getting some good time at the workbench when not getting dragged around the shops :shutup:

Starting to get the rigging done now and added some washes to the deck very thin dark brown just to highlight some of the details.

IMG_0519_zpsgrsly3xx.jpg

Beefy

• Like 7