Karel Doorman The Last Cruise, Grumman S-2A Tracker and SH-34 Helicopter

Coming along nicely Martin. I do like the treament to the H-34 engine bay. Sleepless night, me too but on a Seasprite...

Colin

Edited by heloman1

Coming along nicely Martin. I do like the treament to the H-34 engine bay. Sleepless night, me too but on a Seasprite...

Colin

Thanks Colin, any thoughts on the "steps" I mentioned in reply 167?

Martin

Looking great Martin :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: One question are you not afraid to add to much detail which become hidden when the fuselage halves are glued together?

Thanks Guys.

Henrick, the answer to your question is no. I have a cunning plan! Plenty can be seen through the dinghy and rear fuselage hatches and each model will be photographed before buttoning up the fuselage halves. These pictures will then be transferred to a dedicated digital photo frame for each model. Let technology work for me for a change!

Martin

• Like 1

These are fast becoming builds of an epic nature!

The project may well become even more epic as it seems to me that it would be cool to display the aircraft alongside a model of the Karel Doorman. Well, if the TR gets through next weeks MOT OK.............................. :hmmm:

Martin

• Like 2

Thanks Colin, any thoughts on the "steps" I mentioned in reply 167?

Martin

Hi Martin, they are U channel with the opening at the bottom, so anthing from the Evergreen range would suit 1x.8mm. Failing that a piece of strip as you'll not see the underneath.

The bulkhead is called the firewall. I'll see if I've got any reference pics in Lennart Lundh H-34 book.

Get those beers cracked open...

Colin

Ok Martin, a couple of pics and manual pages which might be of help.

Photo from Lennart Lundh excellent book on the Sikorsky H-34 ISBN 0-7643-0522-0 published by Schiffer. The rear face of the engine through the firewall/cabin front bulkhead access panel.

IMG_3308cropcomp_zpse30655a9.jpg

The firewall/cabin bulkhead with the inspection panel in place. The steps, Martin do not seem to be evident in this pic.

IMG_3309cropcomp_zps4e659ab6.jpg

Manual page showing the engine from the front port...

IMG_3306cropcomp_zps5259a71e.jpg

IMG_3307cropcomp_zpsa3738b5c.jpg

Finally a manual page showing the breakdown of the engine assembly, which might of use at a later stage?

Colin

Thanks Guys.

Brian, not even I am that stupid as to try and scratch build an aircraft carrier! There is a very rare but still available kit of the ship (Heller kit plus resin conversion parts) available from the Netherlands. It is very expensive hence waiting on the MOT result.

Colin, Thanks for the pictures, they have been duly saved and will doubtless be of great use when we get onto the engine. Perhaps I shouldn't have been using the structure as steps all those years ago! Still, no harm was done.

Right, off to tackle Photobucket with the latest escapades.

Marin

• Like 1

Lets get the bad news over with first. Looking at pictures of the Tracker it became apparent that the kit radome was too shallow by a greater margin than I had anticipated thus negating all the work I had put into it. :banghead: Off had to come the start of the scratch built detail and on went four more laminations of plastic card. When set, another hour was spent in a cloud of plastic dust while the new laminations were ground to shape and this morning I replaced the lost detail.

The good news is that my computer chap was round this morning and confirms that my plan for the digital photo frames will work. Much relief all round.

Off out to a concert now so thanks for looking and here are the pictures.

Martin

R10_zps3267c165.jpg

R11_zps127c9723.jpg

R9_zps4f2721ae.jpg

R12_zps335191e9.jpg

• Like 2

I think I will get the basics of the sonar equipment on the SH-34 sorted out next. I have a diagram of the sonar layout and can get details of the assorted boxes and scopes to go with it. what is confusing me however, is what the actual racking for the boxes and scopes looked like. I had assumed that the racking would be similar to that used on the Wessex HAS 1, but the diagram I have for the AN/AQS-5 sonar on SH-34s suggests that it might be different. Sadly, the diagram I have deletes much of the racking as it concentrates principally on the position of various items of equipment, which is again at odds with the layout on the Wessex HAS 1. I should be most grateful if anyone following this thread might be able to help on this one before I start cutting plastic and getting things wrong.

Thanks for looking

Confused of Poole

I have been spending the last few hours working on getting the basics of the radar mounting and it's raising and lowering gear sorted out. I have mostly succeeded and it mostly just needs a slight tidy up now. Before I do anything more however, I need to leave the glue to cure of a bit. This is a bit of a pain as I am on a bit of a role today. I suppose however, that I would find it a lot more of a pain if I carried on and ruined all the work I have done on the radar thus far.

Here are the pictures and, as always thanks for looking in.

Martin

R13_zpsa638cf35.jpg

R15_zpsae28b846.jpg

R14_zps66b9a2c6.jpg

R16_zpsa912bd19.jpg

• Like 3

The lack of an update has been mainly due to further confusion over the sonar fit to the SH-34. I can find pictures of Dutch SH-34s carrying AN/AQS-4 sonars in the early 1960s but cannot find out whether they were updated with the AN/AQS-5 sonars by the time of the last deployment of Karel Doorman in 1968. This makes a huge difference as the winch housings for the sonar were completely different in shape and, of course, what do we see the second we look in the cabin door? That's right, the winch housing! Perhaps one of out Dutch friends can enlighten us before I have to make a guess which will, of course be the wrong one

Martin

The lack of an update has been mainly due to further confusion over the sonar fit to the SH-34. I can find pictures of Dutch SH-34s carrying AN/AQS-4 sonars in the early 1960s but cannot find out whether they were updated with the AN/AQS-5 sonars by the time of the last deployment of Karel Doorman in 1968. This makes a huge difference as the winch housings for the sonar were completely different in shape and, of course, what do we see the second we look in the cabin door? That's right, the winch housing! Perhaps one of out Dutch friends can enlighten us before I have to make a guess which will, of course be the wrong one

Martin

Hi Martin,

I have some books about our navy and the sikorsky. Will have a look into that tonight!

Evert

Incredible construction skills Martin. You make it look effortless; I'm sure it isn't, but that's how you make it look :)

Thanks, I find figuring out how things worked and how to replicate them much harder than the actual building. Its a good job that I like problem solving!

Martin

Pending further enlightenment on the SH-34 sonar and to avoid tidying my corner to access the bits and pieces I need to complete the Tracker radome raising and lowering mechanism: sadly its only my modelling that is tidy, just ask Gill! I took the opportunity today to finish off the weapons bay structure on the Tracker. There is a small amount of filling required on the edge of the front wall of the bay where I had over sanded the edge but nothing a smidgen of Milliput won't sort out but I am a bit cross with myself for not picking up on that sloppy bit of modelling.

I suppose I will now have to get that corner sorted out. Pooh!

Thanks for looking

Martin

Edit: Helps if I add the pictures!

W1_zps657109fc.jpg

W2_zpsfd253bb0.jpg

Hi Martin,

Well I had a look in the books, not detailled information about the sonar. BUT! When I googled I found this site: http://www.vlaggeschipsmaldeel5.nl/, despite it's all dutch (use translate.google.nl) it gives you tons and tons of information about the Marine Luchtvaart Dienst (MLD / Naval Flying Service). Unfortunately no words on the sonar systems, so I can't help you wit that.

Just some quick links:

All about the Sikorsky: http://www.vlaggeschipsmaldeel5.nl/html/sikorsky.html

All about the Tracker: http://www.vlaggeschipsmaldeel5.nl/html/s2a__tracker.html

More details about the winch, found here

3836_voor_curacoa__64__jha.jpg

And another one:

3837_hoist_jha.jpg

Some interior shots: http://www.vlaggeschipsmaldeel5.nl/html/sikorsky_134__2_.html

Good luck!

Evert

• Like 2

Evert, you are a star! The pictures clearly show an AQS-5 winch housing so I now know where I am going with this thing now. Excellent links by the way and a load of pictures saved for future reference.

Thanks so much.

Martin

• Like 1

Thanks to Evert's (aka Flying Dutchman) contribution to this thread which clarified which sonar to fit to the model, I have spent the last couple of days building the sonar housing. Given the prominence of this item in the cabin, I am trying to put extra effort into this part of the build. As always, I keep a constant check on the fit of all scratch built items. There is nothing worse than spending hours creating something only to find that it either doesn't fit or throws the rest of the model out of kilter. Guess how I know!

I think that the next step on the SH-34 is to come to some sort of decision as to what the equipment racking for the sonar looked like and the best and strongest way to build it.

Thanks for looking

Martin

S4_zps72662110.jpg

S3_zps319f1ac7.jpg

S2_zps8e937179.jpg

S1_zpsa8732ef0.jpg

• Like 3