Karel Doorman The Last Cruise, Grumman S-2A Tracker and SH-34 Helicopter

I can see the pictures

dammit Martin you do lovely work mate :thumbsup:

The exhausts are to die for, brilliant

The pipe/cable assemblies over the door rock too

Thank you for sharing an inspirational build

b

Thanks Bill, most of the exhaust is from the kit and it was easy enough to fix the missing pipe once I had cottoned on why things did not look right.

Glad things are working for you again Andy.

Martin

First class detailing.....Superb! :thumbsup:

Thanks, I think I will be having a bash at the Tracker this week. I finally figured out how the control cable runs go together so I want to get those out of the way as they have been bugging me for quite a while now.

Martin

I finally managed to complete the deal for the Karel Doorman conversion kit, despite the best efforts of PayPal to derail the deal (web site not functioning properly). All I have to do now is wait with the impatience of a very impatient thing with a very special reason to be impatient :frantic::frantic: and hope and pray that Royal Fail don't live up to their well deserved reputation! :pray:

Martin

Returning home from work today, a very large package was awaiting me. Opening the box I found a slightly smaller box crammed full of resin, brass and plans for the conversion of the Heller Arromanches to the Karel Doorman :speak_cool: . Michiel Wort of Naval Models had been as good as his word and apart from a few minor bits that I can source from the good people at White Ensign, I have all I need to the rest of the project.

I think that I will open a thread in the maritime section for a detailed build of the carrier but also post any milestones in her construction on this thread as well; that's if that is OK with Mike?

Off to find my Dutch/English dictionary to see if I can make sense of the instructions!

Martin

• Like 3

Sine my last post I have been busy fitting out the weapons bay to take the control cables for the tail surfaces fitting the cabling to the roof of the bay and fitting the connections for the hydraulic lines to the pistons that operate the bay doors. All this seemed never ending while I was doing it but, finally I was able to thread the control cables into place and, although I say so myself, I am rather pleased with the way they turned out. The cables themselves were made from 1.5 lb breaking strain fishing line. I took the step of colouring this black with a permanent marker, partly to be able to see better when I was threading it and partly so the cables would show better on the pictures.

Enough Waffle and on with the pictures.

Thanks for looking

Martin

gtt_zps12d40b53.jpg

gg7_zps67c50bd6.jpg

gfg_zps64d6ae38.jpg

ggf_zpsf45af2a5.jpg

[url=http://s1139.photobucket.com/user/raccitman/media/Tracker%20Build%201/gg5_zpsef38b8c7.jpg.html]gg5_zpsef38b8c7.jpg[/

URL]

• Like 11

Thanks Guys, this is the type of work I enjoy the most, pushing the boundaries, despite the cussing that frequently accompanies my efforts.

Martin

I've often considered adding control wires to my models but have been put of by what to use. I've tried very thin lead wire in the past but didn't have much luck.

And then you use fishing wire... genius! Why didn't I think of that!?

Lovely work here Martin.

B U G G E R !

There go those blooming boundaries again

Martin when I look at stuff like this I wonder if I should chuck it all in now, before I get too dispirited :(

(then fortunately I realise that the boundaries are for people like me and you don't see 'em or need 'em)

The cable runs are simply sublime mate, thanks for sharing them with us :)

:thumbsup:

• Like 2

The ideas are there, it's my modelling abilities that are lacking!

I doubt that very much Brian. Just look at Hendie, he doubted what he could do, had a go anyway and proved himself wrong big time. Go on, have a bash, you know you want to!

Martin

• 2 weeks later...

Just touching base Guys. I have been feeling a bit under the weather this week and, consequently, have not got as much done on this build as I would have liked. I have been working on the marine marker ejector, situated just forward of the radome on the Tracker and hope to have this finished and pictures posted over the weekend. I have also managed to misplace the kit's nose wheel bay which is a right royal pain as I really need to get this detailed and fitted so I can start getting nose weights into the model. Talking of nose weights, I have a nasty feeling that, having opened up so much of the forward fuselage, I may have to forego both of the engine cowlings being opened up and settle for one instead to allow for extra weight to be fitted behind the other engine. Bugger! Still I have a couple of ideas in mind for the spare after market engine.

Speak to you soon.

Martin

Hi Martin,

Flushing on the line.

I followed your build from the first moment.

This is the Master Modeller at work.

Regards,

Dirk

Thanks Dirk, I'm not so sure about "Master Modeller" though, more a case of jumping in with two great size eleven feet and then sorting out the problems I have caused myself!

Martin