Karel Doorman The Last Cruise, Grumman S-2A Tracker and SH-34 Helicopter

This is really top quality, consistent construction Martin. I'm somewhat amazed that you've been able to keep up the intensity. V impressive :)

Thanks, I think the reason is that this is a two, soon to be three, kit project, so if I begin to tire of one model I just pick up the other. That seems to be keeping me fresh and if this continues, will be a policy I will be using for large projects in the future.

Martin

Given the heatwave we seem to be "enjoying", your scribe much prefers the cold, it is somewhat apt that before heat stopped play today, I got a load done on the engine firewall. this consisted of replacing the undernourished strengthening ribs on the wall with more robust items made from plastic strip. I had been wondering whether to replace them almost from the start of the build and ultimately decided that I would never be happy with them as supplied. I don't know why it took so long for me to make up my mind as they are hardly the most difficult of parts to replace. I also finished drilling out various holes in the firewall and adding slivers of Albion Alloys aluminium tubing to them. At this point sweat dripping into my eyes convinced me that it was pointless to continue with operations until things had cooled down. With a bit of luck I might be able to get a bit done on the Tracker late this evening.

Thanks for looking

Martin the Melting

E14_zps66bd989a.jpg

E13_zps904f7d9e.jpg

• Like 5

Over the last few days, along with trying to avoid the worst of the heat wave, I have been cracking on with the Tracker build. Much of this work has involved fitting various shelves and brackets that will carry assorted bits of equipment later on in the build. I have also constructed the ducting that runs down the centre of the observer's compartment and lined in the openings on the equipment cabinets in the front of the compartment. I have also filed off the moulded on detail on the instrument panel in readiness for the pre-painted Eduard parts I plan on using and glued the part to the cockpit floor. I decided not to use the fragile looking Eduard part for the fold down part of the centre console and have scratched a new part from plastic stock laminated together.

I am slightly confused as to how the control runs transition from running horizontally along the roof of the weapons bay to being aligned vertically along the port side of the fuselage, so any help in this direction would be most gratefully received. Aside from that we are not that far from starting to populate the fuselage with equipment.

Thanks for looking

Martin

X1_zps6a58821c.jpg

X2_zps638cfa69.jpg

X4_zpseedd4f44.jpg

X3_zpse0743bd5.jpg

• Like 6

Thanks Hendie, feel free to use as many ideas as you like, after all, that is one of the points of this thread.

Martin

The heat of the last week or two has really slowed down the project but I have managed to get a small amount done. There is a very prominent equipment tray immediately opposite the crew entry door. This will also be very visible through the opened up escape hatches. The unit was constructed along the same lines as the one I built for the SH-34.

I have also begun to detail the flight deck rear bulkhead with assorted brackets and the very prominent circuit breakers. The faces of the latter were taken from my dwindling stock of Re-heat parts. At this point it feels like the model has more shelves and brackets than a B & Q store but I just have to keep telling myself that the model will benefit in the end.

I think I will try and get Gill to do some better pictures of the interior of the Tracker later this week as I seem to be struggling with my photography a bit at the moment.

Thanks for looking and here are some OK'ish pictures I did do this afternoon.

Martin

F53_zps681031d3.jpg

F52_zps5faa8e4c.jpg

• Like 2

I almost wish I wasnt following this one Martin, all that gorgeous detail

I'm beginning to think it's something Grumman for me next cos I love that Gull grey and white USN scheme

I do have that thingmy with the frisbee on its roof, mmm must find some decals for it

These two are becoming addictive, thanks for them

• Like 1

Thanks Perdu. I am finding the project addictive too; a good job as I have so much invested in it! I find with the fine detail on these type of builds, it helps to spend a good while just thinking about how to build an item or detail an area, before putting scalpel to plastic. I turn each step of this nature into a sort of mini project, if you like. I also find it gives me a kind of "red letter day" feeling when I have something to post on this thread for you Guys.

Martin

• Like 1

I find with the fine detail on these type of builds, it helps to spend a good while just thinking about how to build an item or detail an area, before putting scalpel to plastic.

You must be a quick thinker then Martin - as your making pretty bloomin good progress.........

On Saturday some friends and I got together for what, for want of a better word, we call a "Buildfest". On occasion we will gather at one of our homes and spend a day modelling together, fortified with copious quantities of ale, wine and fine food. :popcorn::pizza::beer: In our opinion a very sociable and civilised way of spending a day!

Anyhow, I decided to use the day to tackle a part of the model that I had been putting off for a while as I had been worried about it. The area in question was the underside of the engine bay where some protective mesh surrounds the oil cooler. for this I carefully glued some 20 x 20 'thou plastic strip around the inside lip of the opening and, having made a template from wide Tamiya tape, cut the mesh to shape from some Eduard PE mesh stock. Another template was then made, slightly smaller than the outside dimensions of the kit oil cooler part and this was then cut from the mesh part I had already made and trimmed until the cooler part would sit snuggly inside the hole. The mesh was then superglued to the plastic strip I had previously added to the opening in the floor of the engine bay and some 10 x 10 'thou strip added to the edge of the mesh to tidy things up. Please note that if you are going down this road of lining the mesh area, you will need to make the opening in the kit part correspondingly bigger to allow for the width of the plastic strip you will be using.

The kit cooler is far too shallow so it was deepened with plastic card and holes drilled to allow for the necessary piping. The cooler was then glued into place and the job was a good one. Although this all took some time to do, it all went far more smoothly than I had feared; perhaps it had something to do with the ale I had been consuming! Whatever the reason I did feel rather chuffed at the result.

E18_zpsdde16e31.jpg

E17_zpsc4889319.jpg

E19_zpsaa5ac29b.jpg

E15_zps0af4c74e.jpg

In the remaining time I decided to replace the baffle plates between the engine cylinders that the manufacturer had moulded integrally with the engine parts. These did just not look like the separate parts that they re on the real thing and were too thick in my opinion. Accordingly, they were carefully removed from the kit part and replacements made from 20 'thou plastic card.

E16_zps5a98e872.jpg

By now I was completely done in and confined myself to drinking for the rest of the evening!

Thanks for looking

Martin

• Like 4

Thanks Guys, I'm not sure if it was the "lubrication" or the fear of failing in front of my mates that made the cooler area come out as well as it did!

Martin

• Like 1

Thanks Guys.

Kev, my photographic skills have not been that good of late, no idea why. Gill has just said she will do some pictures for me tomorrow evening, she is miles better at close up photography than I am.

Perdu, the next step is to work out the run of the wiring from the magnetos, should be fun!

Fritag, perhaps I should model under the influence more often!

Martin

• Like 1