Karel Doorman The Last Cruise, Grumman S-2A Tracker and SH-34 Helicopter

Thanks Rhino, I rather missed the project while I was away and did indeed toy with the idea of taking it with me but the accompanying raft of books and tools would have taken far too much room up in the already full car.

Martin

It just keeps getting better and better. I am still awestruck at how neat and tidy your work is.

I just tried scribing some panel lines and even though I was trying to be real careful.... it's going to take an hour of filling and sanding to make anything decent of it.

Working with pieces as small as you are, I'd have glue in my hair, in my ears, and all over the worktop

Thanks Guys, I try not to think about the cost of the plastic strip and card that is going into this project, all I know is that the final bill will not make for pretty reading! Working with the small parts is not too great a problem as I have two pairs of glasses that my optician made up for me, both corrected for my vision. One is 8 x magnification and the other 13. Once you get used to working with these glasses, things become a whole lot easier and, of course, if you can make your work look neat at these magnifications, it is going to look even better when viewed by the naked eye. I found myself pleasantly surprised how inexpensive the glasses turned out to be.

Martin

• Like 1

Looking great there Martin, do you know allot of Naked people then :yahoo:

Fair point! Post edited to read correctly. Although if I can't sleep at night I have been known to model in the buff; have to be careful with the old scalpel though! :yikes:

Martin

• 2 weeks later...

I hate DIY with a passion, so anything that involves a week of it must be mega important! Well, I came back from holiday to find that the small box room in the house that had been promised for my man cave had been vacated and, following the relocation of a telephone socket, was ready for me to move in. This what I have been up to over the last week, getting covered in muck, drilling, sawing and fitting all my modelling gear into a small 6 x 6 room. All this, of course, explains the absence of updates. The room is now operational, although doubtless a few tweaks will be needed here and there over the coming weeks, and was christened with it's first modelling session today.

For this session I continued to work on the radar unit for the Tracker. This involved building a frame for some equipment that serves the main radar unit and the equipment itself. Don't ask me what it is or what it is for, my references do not go that far, I just built the thing as best I could. More test fitting was carried out as this sub-assembly went along which is just as well as things are getting a bit tight in that particular area of the fuselage.

Next up, another equipment frame for the SH-34 and hopefully normal service, or at least what passes for normal around here, is now resumed

Thanks for looking

Martin

r24_zpsaa3a2ad4.jpg

r26_zps1bad40cd.jpg

r25_zpsb82a0922.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks Wal, the cave may be small but at least I can shut myself away without being disturbed or disturbing the rest of the household. I have also had a good nine months to plan it out and am able to have either a spray booth or a photo booth permanently set up in there as well.

Martin

Over the last couple of days I have been struggling with the small equipment rack that is situated immediately forward of the cabin door on the starboard side. I had not anticipated that this would be such a fiddly part to make and could have done with an extra hand at the time.

I also decided that I should fit the engine bearers at the front of the engine compartment and it was a good job I did as I discovered that I had been wrong to box in the front of the opening in the engine bay floor as It fouled the fit of the bearers. A couple of minutes with the scalpel sorted that out. Next up will be to complete the structure for the engine bay.

Thanks for looking

Martin

S16_zps06eb83f1.jpg

S15_zpsae631fb6.jpg

S14_zps111d2633.jpg

• Like 2

I had thought that it would be a relatively quick process. Wrong! Upon separating the fuselage halves the two engine bearers that I thought I had glued into place decided to part company with the model and one of them flew off to who knows where? After a good hour on my hands and knees I decided that the part was not going to come to light any time soon and I might be better off scratch building a new pair of parts using the remaining kit one. A while later and we ended up with the following:

Thanks for looking

Martin

E12_zps042be981.jpg

E11_zps5e0ad7b1.jpg

• Like 3

This morning I decided to have a look at the instrument panel. This comes as a clear part in the kit and I eventually decided to replace it with a blank plastic card panel to get better adhesion for the Eduard photo etched parts that I will be using on the assembly. At this stage a minor crisis arose when I noticed that some of the cabin windows on the same sprue as the IP were cracked or broken. Odd this as until this morning, the sprue had not left it's box. Work was suspended until a quick e-mail had been sent to MRC, the kit manufacturers asking for the requisite replacement parts. This done a new panel was cut from plastic card using the Eduard etched parts as a guide. At this stage I noticed that my correction to the cockpit front sill meant that the kit coaming no longer fitted properly. I did consider extending the kit part but upon noticing that it was undernourished where it forms a shade of the instruments, decided to replace the kit part altogether. Anyway, an hour's work resulted in this:

C2_zps63a4d0a2.jpg

C1_zps047f79ab.jpg

At this stage I did a quick check to see that the new coaming would not impede the fit of the cockpit canopy itself. Fortunately, all appears to be well in this respect.

Next up I fitted the rear fuselage plug that will hold the tail assembly in place and, having glued the tail halves together, di a heck of the fit in this area. There will be a tiny amount of filling required on the very top of the fuselage but otherwise all is well here as well. I have decided not to fold the tail as I feel it would detract from the character of the aircraft. I am still undecided as whether to fold the rotors or not. I would prefer not to for the same reasons as the tail but display space may come into play here.

C3_zps552cc4b6.jpg

Thanks for looking

Martin

• Like 2

Fantastic buids Martin.....That's some truly masterful detailing in both models! :clap2:

It's a fascinating project for me too, 'Dutch' and 'Aircraft Carrier' are two words I would never have expected to find in the same sentence.....A bit like 'F-35' and 'Operational'. :wicked:

Thanks Guys, I am glad you are enjoying the builds, it makes things easier when the going gets tough. Brian, you only get to see the finished parts that have gone right, with many parts there are two or three attempts that end up in the bin. It is ironic though that, whilst I am obsessive, going on completely anal, about my modelling being neat, my bench usually bears more than a passing resemblance to a landfill site that has been shaken up and turned upside down! Given the small size of the new man cave though, I am clearly going to have to make strenuous efforts to change this state of affairs or production will suffer.

Sgt Squarehead, unlike Lockheed Martin, the Dutch did manage to make their carrier work and even considerably upgraded it. Sadly politicians got meddling in things and a fire was used as a rather lame excuse to decommission the carrier. Strangely although the word was that it was uneconomical to repair the ship, the Argentine Navy bought her, had her repaired and operated her for well over twenty years.

Martin

• Like 3

Didn't we have some Sea-Harriers with similar 'issues' at one time? :hmmm:

Don't get me started or I will have the Mods on my case!

Martin

• Like 2

Thanks for the comments Guys, they all help the old morale up. Especially at the moment as for some reason I have been feeling a bit low since completing the man cave. I suspect I just overreached myself a bit. Gill said take it a bit at a time but, no, I had to go at it like a bull at a gate and now I seem to be suffering the consequences.

Martin

Thanks Colin, I am afraid it will probably be the photo etch on the tail next but next up on the Tracker is the interior gubbins for the MAD boom , plenty of white plastic there!

Martin