Karel Doorman The Last Cruise, Grumman S-2A Tracker and SH-34 Helicopter

More or less just found this, lovely work Martin. :goodjob:

Thanks Nigel!

If I knew how to spell exemplary I would, but since I'm probably too daft to understand what it means maybe it's as well I dont use it

Confused? I am

What I'm failing to say Martin is just how much pleasure I get from seeing this beauty develop

Lovely stuff

Thanks, a great deal of the satisfaction I am getting from this project is from seeing people enjoying following it and should I inspire anyone else to similar acts of insanity then that is a bonus!

Martin

• Like 2

Following another day where I lost track of time some progress has ben made towards getting the Tracker's undercarriage sorted out. I had originally intended to use the Scale Aircraft Conversions set but on close examination the surface of the parts was less than perfect, it is OK for an OOB build but, in my opinion, not good enough for this effort. I therefore decided that I would rework the kit undercarriage and try and think of ways of strengthening it.

I began by drilling out some holes on the rear torque links on the main undercarriage. It would appear from pictures that the front links did not have holes in them and the rear ones sometimes had holes and sometimes not. I chose to go with holes to help busy up the appearance of the units. I then took some considerable time to add brake pipes and replace a stay with Albion Alloys aluminium slide fit tube. Whatever did we do before that stuff came along? I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed that part of the session. I have not done anything on the nose leg yet as I had to glue two parts together on it and want to let the unit cure properly before I start drilling and cutting into it.

The child in me insisted on doing a trial fit of the main legs just to see what they will look like in place. No real need to really as I already knew they fitted but I did it anyway.

I think my next step needs to be to sort out some kind of cradle to hole the model upside down to leave both hands free for further work on the undercarriage.

Anyway here are some pictures after a titanic battle with Phototurd. I think I will ask Gill to have a bash and see if she can do some better ones f the pipework on the legs as I seem to be going through one of my "can't take photographs to save his life" phases at the moment.

Thanks for looking

Martin

PS: Presumably, Phototurd will show the properly edited pictures in their own good time!

kz5_zpssayzxdsh.jpg

kz4_zpsn2ouety4.jpg

kz2_zpslvsoznwz.jpg

kz3_zps6goqen2z.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks Ant, I think that I have been modelling a bit better than usual due to the fact that eighteen months after starting, I am enjoying it as much as ever and, as I mentioned earlier, no deadlines for the project means an awful lot less pressure on me.

Martin

Gill as done some better pictures of today's work. She says they are the best she can do and it is all my fault for making such tiny pieces!

Martin

kz9_zpswvhe07yl.jpg

kz7_zpsntehsubd.jpg

• Like 7

Gill as done some better pictures of today's work. She says they are the best she can do and it is all my fault for making such tiny pieces!

Martin

kz9_zpswvhe07yl.jpg

kz7_zpsntehsubd.jpg

I see these (great photography Gill) and wish they were 1/12 scale or somesuch :(

Utterly brilliant pipery, how the heck's a chap sussposed to keep up with this, I asks you

as with everything on this tale of Dutchness its pretty darned good

having no timetable is great innit, I dont enjoy deadlines at all these days

Them days is gone far awa' for me

I wish BM was capable of hosting its own pictures, even using Flickr is no fun, Phototurd as it is so humourously decried is abysmal

Still going to enjoy these builds forever Martin, thanks

• Like 2

I see these (great photography Gill) and wish they were 1/12 scale or somesuch :(

Utterly brilliant pipery, how the heck's a chap sussposed to keep up with this, I asks you

as with everything on this tale of Dutchness its pretty darned good

having no timetable is great innit, I dont enjoy deadlines at all these days

Them days is gone far awa' for me

I wish BM was capable of hosting its own pictures, even using Flickr is no fun, Phototurd as it is so humourously decried is abysmal

Still going to enjoy these builds forever Martin, thanks

Thanks Perdu. I too wish BM could host it's own pictures or have some way of downloading directly from our computers, it must be getting to the point where there are enough of us! I would be happy to pay for such a service.

That's a tasty set of legs the old girl has got there. Lovely work, the attention to detail is spot on, they'll look amazing once they've got a bit of paint and some grime on.

Thanks, I don't think Gill will appreciate the old though! Oh sorry! you meant the Tracker! They will probably be the first bit of the build to see some paint as I want to try some brown Tamiya accent colour to represent oil and hydraulic stains.

Martin

• Like 1

A mahoosive vote of thanks to BM member John Ellis who has just sent me files of the Tracker manuals, including the all important parts catalogue. These have now been downloaded to my PC, surely even I can't forget where I put that! Anyway, many thanks John, top man and a great example of what this wonderful site is all about

Martin

I have spent the last few days adding the remaining plumbing to the main undercarriage legs and sorting out the nose leg. Although it was fiddly and time consuming work, the main legs were really more of what I have already done. I also added some separating brackets to the hoses leading to the brake units on the main wheels.

The nose wheel was a bit easier as the kit pars are pretty well detailed. All I really needed to do as adjust the nose wheel door brackets to allow for the new wheel well and the opened nose cap. I did however, replace the actuating arm for the unit with a stronger item made from Albion Alloys aluminium tubing. I may even re-do this with some slide fit brass tubing.

Anyway, everything seems to line up on a dry fit which is very satisfying given the extent of surgery the kit has been subjected to in these areas.

On to the pictures and as always, thanks for looking.

Martin

kz10_zpsaesgc1xq.jpg

kz11_zps6n96nbm0.jpg

kz12_zpsapqpm11p.jpg

kz13_zpsijqkdwig.jpg

kz14_zpsxnr4kt14.jpg

kz15_zpste3assvm.jpg

• Like 10

Superb skills on show, looking forward to the next update already.

Thanks, I shall endeavour to deliver sooner rather than later!

nice plumbing!

Thanks Hendie, I have rather enjoyed making it. Sad, aren't I?

Martin