Karel Doorman The Last Cruise, Grumman S-2A Tracker and SH-34 Helicopter

Thanks Bill, the health issues are over twenty years old now and from time to time I get really bad flare ups of them. I don't know about skills, most of what I achieve is much more down to sheer bloody mindedness not to be beaten by a problem and bloody mindedness is something I seem to have in spades, ask Gill!

Martin

PS: Quiet Tim!

well........ :shutup:

Tim

Edited by Fishbed

Hey! It looks like a plane now

Nice work martin

K

Thanks, that's really why I glued the tail planes on now if I am honest. The child in me was impatient to see something looking like a plane, I might even glue the wings in lace soon for the same reason. Does anyone else out there do the same sort of thing I wonder?

Martin

• Like 3

Thanks, that's really why I glued the tail planes on now if I am honest. The child in me was impatient to see something looking like a plane, I might even glue the wings in lace soon for the same reason. Does anyone else out there do the same sort of thing I wonder?

Martin

Yes, and I occasionally put everything together with masking tape, and run around the room with it making funny airplane noises, complete with the appropriate Doppler effects.

And yes, I am an old man, so don't ask!

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 2

Yes, and I occasionally put everything together with masking tape, and run around the room with it making funny airplane noises, complete with the appropriate Doppler effects.

And yes, I am an old man, so don't ask!

Cheers,

Bill

Such a relief to know that I am not the only one! I guess we are all kids at heart.

Martin

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure how I missed this for so long, but I'm certainly glad I've found it now! Astonishing work, Martin, and a great thread to follow.

Ian

Thanks Ian, I have been struggling with nacelle detail since the last post. I hope to have that sorted today and get some more pictures up in the very near future.

Martin

• Like 1

There, that got your attention didn't it!

It has been a while since my last post and there are two reasons for this. Firstly, I have been doing the structure of the main undercarriage bays. This, by it's very nature can be tedious in the extreme which makes it hard to keep one's concentration so I have tackled this in bite sized chunks. I have also added a pair of braces to each nacelle and got the wings glued to the model so she can now go for a fly around the man cave. The fit of the wings on this kit is excellent with only the merest swipe of Mr Dissolved Putty to sort the joins out.

The second reason is that I have been spending a bit more time than usual with my Mistress. I am a lucky man here as she is only in her mid thirties and has just had a bit of a make over and is looking drop dead gorgeous at the moment. Gill seems a bit jealous but I guess you can't have it all.

Anyway, some pictures:

nn_zps92b2634b.jpg

nm_zps1a930f2b.jpg

nl_zpsd1223f09.jpg

nk_zps67a22a95.jpg

no_zps9d013ba4.jpg

Oh yes, the mistress. She is called Sarah-Jane and she looks like this::

TR2015a_zps8394a741.jpg

TR2015b_zps594a8227.jpg

As always thanks for looking

Martin

• Like 3

Thanks Hendie, I had to be so disciplined with the nacelle structure as it got very boring to do, hence my doing it in small sessions.

Martin

Meticulous work Martin. I bow to your skill. I am a professional artist (have a look) and, I suppose, an impressionist really. People look at my work and remark on the detail. It is all smoke and mirrors.This is what I bring to my modelling and it can look good but it is very hit and miss. Modellers such as yourself are true engineers in miniature and I take my hat off to you.

Andy

Thanks Guys, I don't know about being an engineer but sometimes it does help if one can figure out how a full size item worked.

Andy, I tried your link but all got was a notice about an expired web site?

Simon, think Gill is more worried about me running off with Sarah-Jane than she is about me running off with a real woman but then again Sarah-Jane has no option other than to put up with me!

Martin

• Like 1

Tell Gill not to worry

Sarah-Jane might be a flighty piece, massive fun to take out too, but there's no way she could work miracles with a camera like Gill does

I have a similarly flighty lady named Lara, a wench of the MG persuasion

NO WAY would I fly away from my missus for her though

I think "how it does what it does is important to modelling it" is an important thing, like un-noticed metal strips on fuselage/wing junctions

If they are on it makes you feel right about the subject

I love the nacelle internals, proper magic our Martin

Tell Gill not to worry

Sarah-Jane might be a flighty piece, massive fun to take out too, but there's no way she could work miracles with a camera like Gill does

I have a similarly flighty lady named Lara, a wench of the MG persuasion

NO WAY would I fly away from my missus for her though

I think "how it does what it does is important to modelling it" is an important thing, like un-noticed metal strips on fuselage/wing junctions

If they are on it makes you feel right about the subject

I love the nacelle internals, proper magic our Martin

Don't worry, Gill is a keeper, she always has been. She lets me drive a cool car, plays in my band, goes out of her way to support my modelling activities, is a great cook and does a stellar job helping me with my health issues.

Andy, great paintings I could well be tempted to order one for Gill at some point.

Martin

• Like 1

Don't worry, Gill is a keeper, she always has been. She lets me drive a cool car, plays in my band, goes out of her way to support my modelling activities, is a great cook and does a stellar job helping me with my health issues.

Andy, great paintings I could well be tempted to order one for Gill at some point.

Martin

Martin, thank you for those kind words. If I can be of service don't hesitate.

Andy

Thanks Kev, that is why it took so long between posts. I was not prepared to compromise in the quality of work which would have happened it I had tried to do this all at once, so the only way to deal with it was to do a little bit at a time and stop when it started to bug me.

I think I need to take a preliminary look at the undercarriage units next, if only so I can work out where to put the mountings for the retraction jacks in the wheel bays. I had better do a bit more on the carrier as well, a load of deck beams to be made here so I can fit the hangar deck.

Martin

• 1 month later...

A good question indeed! Aside from tearing some cartilage on my knee (extremely painful and not to be recommended) and having a week away, I have been spending a lot of time on the aircraft carrier (see the maritime section).

I have also been putting in a silly amount of hours trying to get the observers' seats done for the SH-34. Having made a pair of very similar seats back in the dim and distant past, I always knew these were going to be a right royal pain in the backside to make and, sadly they did not disappoint! :banghead: I also constructed some runner for them based on the reasonable assumption that Dutch naval observers come in the same variety of sizes as those of other nations and would need some method of adjusting their seating arrangements. I had to use some educated guess work here as none of my references showed how the seats were fitted, OK I just copied the way my car seats slide back and forth. There is scope for an instructor's seat behind the two observers' seats but you will not be surprised to learn that, at the moment, I am pig sick of this type of seat and feel like passing on that option! However, as we all know, I am stupid enough that, as the trauma of those seats fades into the past, it is far from out of the question that I might revise that opinion! :mental:

I think I will do something relatively easy next and sort the pilot's seats out, they look as though they will be pretty good straight from the box with just some Eduard pre-painted belts to tart them up a bit. Famous last words!

I realised the other day that I have been on this project for a year now and it is hopefully a good sign that my enthusiasm for it has not diminished in any way. I must do more of these mixed projects in the future.

Anyhow, you have all waited long enough for some more pictures so, enough of my waffle and thanks for looking.

Martin

db4_zpssovnzwgo.jpg

db3_zpsojupnmbc.jpg

db5_zpstqctejfp.jpg

db6_zpsr4ospp4y.jpg

db2_zpsk4bwqzrc.jpg

db1_zps9gy2g36m.jpg

• Like 9

That wasn't a wait, just a welcome pause for breath

Martin's

The seats look right, and we know what they say about looking right don't we

I Ihad better get across to the shipyards, I don't spend much time out there with the sea air after all and there's stuff to see