1/72 Airfix Harrier GR1

I started this build when this kit was first released, but only finished it about 2 months ago. I scratchbuilt a few extra details that Airfix omitted, as well as added some semblance of the harness to the seat. The details I added were the retractable step on the starboard side, the fuel vent on the same side and the standby VHF aerial on the lower rear port fuselage. I also added the missing strakes on the outrigger wheel fairings and used a Master metal pitot tube to replace the kit plastic one. Decals were mostly OOB, with the serials being cut up and rearranged to get XV758 and the Harrier Conversion Unit emblem coming from one of Vingtors excellent Harrier sheets.

On with the show,

P3260001.jpg

P3260003.jpg

P3260004.jpg

P3260005.jpg

P3260020.jpg

Here are a few detail shots showing some of the little details I added,

P3260007.jpg

P3260008.jpg

P3260009.jpg

P3260011.jpg

P3260019.jpg

P3260021.jpg

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed looking at this as much as I enjoyed building it. If you've not built one of these yet, I can highly recommend one. I'm currently building the GR3 with a couple of Freightdog resin bits and some Eduard etch and really enjoying that one too!

Mark.

Edited by Harry Lime
  • Like 11

Lovely job, got any more planned....maybe for the GB?....

Always got a Harrier build planned! I'm toying with a couple of early AV-8B builds in 1/72 converted from the Airfix GR7/9 kit or an AV-8A from the GR1 kit or an AV-8S from the GR3. Might even go all out and do a two seater of some sort from either Sword or the T.10 from Airfix.

Mark.

• Like 1

Nice work, Mark! I don't know much about Harriers, but I have a bunch in the stash and I really need to build one. Maybe if I get sacked from my job, I'll have more time. Wait - I did get sacked! Let me at that stash! :)

Cheers,

Bill

Very nice indeed!love the smooth paint finish,nice one.

Steve, considering the paint disasters I had with this one I'm glad you think the paints ok. Ended up with a few micromesh sessions and a couple of coats of Klear to correct the problem I somehow created with the Dark Sea Grey. I probably couldn't manage to do it again, but I managed to make a gloss Xtracolor spray as a matt!

Nice work, Mark! I don't know much about Harriers, but I have a bunch in the stash and I really need to build one. Maybe if I get sacked from my job, I'll have more time. Wait - I did get sacked! Let me at that stash! :)

Cheers,

Bill

Bill, if you've not built a Harrier yet, I recommend this kit very highly. Given your scratchbuilding skills, the missing small details will present no problems to you I'm sure. And one of these in an early scheme of DG/DSG/LAG with type D roundels would look real sweet next to your Lightning F2A. And there is a Harrier GB coming up soon. Not that I'm trying to put ideas in your head.....

Mark.

Hi Mark,

Of course I have seen this beauty in person but your photos show much more than can be seen with the human eye (under poor light conditions!!). Thanks for giving us all a close up look - fine work indeed.

Nigel

Hi Mark,

Of course I have seen this beauty in person but your photos show much more than can be seen with the human eye (under poor light conditions!!). Thanks for giving us all a close up look - fine work indeed.

Nigel

Thanks Nigel. Still not quite the scratchbuilding epics you seem to come up with, but I still seem to take just as long!

Very nice build, must get me one!

Yes, you really must! A nice kit that goes together easily and looks very much like a Harrier at the end, you'll not be disappointed.

Love it, looks great

Glad you like it.

• Like 1

Great build and very nice finish. I have this kit in the stash and I'm looking forward to building it. I think the early 'hi-viz' scheme is very attractive.

Looking good! :thumbsup2:

Mike. :)

Cheers min!

Great build and very nice finish. I have this kit in the stash and I'm looking forward to building it. I think the early 'hi-viz' scheme is very attractive.

Agreed, the early scheme is very easy on the eye!

I' m loving it. Another great advert for a resurgent Airfix!

Glad you like it. It really is one of the better kits Airfix have come up with lately, nice level of detail out of the box and very easy to build. If you've not got one already, treat yourself!

Mark.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...