The data on the MiG is inaccurate - scene from Top Gun in 1/144th ++FINISHED++

Here's another brief update. I have completed the black on the MiG and I now need to paint the exhaust area, I'm still not sure about these, they appear to be a bit too short - I think that initially I might blu-tack them on and decide how look. Then I will have go at making a set of decals to finish this, it will be a first for me so we'll see how that goes. I have yet to make a decision about the decal paper to use, my preference is for clear but I am not sure how well the red will stand out against the black so I may need to use white paper to get those to pop.

The F-14 is primed and just needs a little more work around the tailfins before getting the top colours on. A quick search of the internet has provided a TPS scheme from Aug.1984. I am not sure if this was standard for the F-14 so I'll try and find some photos of the actual airframes used if possible.

CIMG2560_zpsef435e14.jpg
CIMG2561_zpsa7f44c7c.jpg

CIMG2565_zpsd32387d6.jpg

CIMG2563_zps401eb184.jpg

I might get this finished yet, fingers crossed.

• Like 1

Forget the clear decal paper for the Mig, the red will never show against a black background. Standard inks and toners simply are not opaque enough.

On the black Mig I'd print the markings on white paper and also print a narrow black outline. Then you can cut the artwork with the black and this should then help the markings blend properly with the underlying paint. Same for numbers and similar, print the red numbers into a black rectangle using white paper, then cut and apply the whole rectangle.

Forget the clear decal paper for the Mig, the red will never show against a black background. Standard inks and toners simply are not opaque enough.

On the black Mig I'd print the markings on white paper and also print a narrow black outline. Then you can cut the artwork with the black and this should then help the markings blend properly with the underlying paint. Same for numbers and similar, print the red numbers into a black rectangle using white paper, then cut and apply the whole rectangle.

Thanks again for the useful suggestions Giorgio - white decal paper it is then. :thumbsup2:

Update time again. In between the showers over the weekend I was able to start putting the TPS colours on the F-14 and this morning I masked the top surface of the fuselage in preparation for the final colour (FS36320) and this I was able to get on earlier this afternoon. I must also say that the Lifecolor paints performed brilliantly, I am not the best at wielding an airbrush but these seemed very forgiving and leave a nice matt finish, I will certainly give them another try in the future.

I managed to print the decals for the Tomcat yesterday too but I am having a bit of a struggle with those for the MiG. They are only simple so I decided that I would use Power Point to produce them as a single decal but it is proving a real pain trying to get everything lined up, I think that I am going to produce the circle as one decal and then add the star in as a separate one.

Here are a few photos of progress on the Tomcat.

Final colour on and awaiting the big reveal.

CIMG2567_zpsd6b47552.jpg

This has to be one of my favourite parts of modelling - the removal of masking tape to see how things look. Saddo or what? :lol:

CIMG2568_zps46e31162.jpg

.... and the final reveal.

CIMG2569_zps88368fbd.jpg

One or two areas need a touch up and then I will have a go at weathering her. Another first for me, most of my models look like they have come straight off the production line.

Thanks for looking in playmates, more soon.

• Like 3

Wotcha playmates

A quick update followed by a couple of photos. Progress continues at a steady pace and I have almost completed the MiG-28 build. The decals are on this and I have added the probe on the nose using some micro tubing and fuse wire as well as the two blade aerials underneath today. It has also had a couple of coats of satin to seal everything in and now just needs the probe painting and the missiles adding to complete.

I haven't plucked up the courage to start weathering the F-14 but have had a look at the advice available on this site and will give this a go later in the week. I am a bit concerned about screwing things up at this late stage so I think that I am just going to keep this light for my first attempt - less is more as they say. There is still a surprising amount to do on this yet, with the few ancilliaries that are on this aircraft almost complete but still needing to be fitted.

I should have the acrylic rod to support the aicraft in flight mode in my grubby mitts towards the end of the week and then it is a matter of figuring out how to bend this to support the F-14. Anyone know what the angle of dangle is for a negative 4G dive? :lol:

....... and finally a few photos of the nearly finished MiG.

Nose probe fitted

CIMG2580_zpsfbaba855.jpg

Decals and satin coat on

CIMG2573_zpse24fecf1.jpg

CIMG2576_zps605164a4.jpg

Thanks for looking in guys (ooops that's not very pc is it) and gals. :P

• Like 4

Instantly recognisable - nice job!

Do you have any advice on how to cut the micro tube? Your pitot looks much neater than my efforts to trim the stuff.

Thanks,

Will

Instantly recognisable - nice job!

Do you have any advice on how to cut the micro tube? Your pitot looks much neater than my efforts to trim the stuff.

Thanks,

Will

Hi Will

The way that I do it is using a sharp 10A scalpel blade and measure the length needed then start at the tip of the blade and gently roll it across the cutting mat. Make sure that you keep finger on the piece you are cutting off then clean up the hole with the point of the blade.

I have also done a quick search on the internet and came across this which will probably be clearer than my explanation. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_zRPBgdCxJs

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Love that MiG ! How did you print the decals in the end ?

Giorgio, I followed your advice in the end and printed them on white decal paper with a black outline to them and then brushed on a couple of coats of Microscales Liquid Decal Film. However, when I trimmed the decals I found that the black edge came away so I had to carefully retouch that after application. One suggestion that I saw after application, was to print on clear and then use a piece of white decal to back this when applying them, but like you I would still be a little sceptical about the colour density. Maybe something for me to try at a later date.

I am glad that I had a go at making them though and would be confident about producing simple decals for future builds now, thanks again for the initial advice bud.

Well the final push is on :whip: , I've spent the last couple of days adding the decals to the F-14. I was able to find a set of grey decals from an F-14D boxing to use for the general markings and some stencil details. There is just the star and bar on the upper wing that is pale grey, I guess this must have been a later development of the scheme, but it is all that I have so will have to do for now. The rest of the markings for Maverick and Goose's (or should that be Geese :lol:) machine came from files supplied by fellow Britmodeller Scarlet, again a big thank you to you mate, this project may well have been a non-starter without those :thumbsup: .

All that remains are the bits of final detail painting (lights etc) and then I can start to assemble things. I received the acrylic rod earlier this week and have bought a cheap picture frame today in case the base I plan to use arrives late. This last stage always seems to take an age to finish but hopefully it won't be as close as my two previous STGB's.

A couple of shots of the Tomcat as she stands at present

CIMG2581_zpsf48c2b63.jpg
CIMG2584_zps98824ef5.jpg

and a closeup of Mav and Goose's workplace.

CIMG2586_zpsad9846fc.jpg

• Like 2

Nice work, but the request for the flyby is denied "Ghostrider"

:rofl: I guess the pattern is full, but when has that stopped Maverick and Goose? Whoah, put down that hot drink Jabba here they come.

Coming along well!

Cheers Dave. Not managed to do anything today, I'm hoping to get more done tomorrow. I would like to have it complete for Thursday/Friday but we will have to see how things go.

Starting to get things together for final assembly now, I was able to paint the F-14's missiles today. However, I'm not sure about the body colour for the AIM-9's, at the minute they're painted white as per the kit instructions but checking photo's and online references they appear to be a pale grey and that includes those on the MiG-28. Anyone know which is correct or is either acceptable? I was hoping to have these finished by tomorrow.

CIMG2591_zps359461e8.jpg

I've also made a start on bending a couple of pieces of the acrylic rod to the required shape. I used an old coffee tin and a hairdryer for this and after a couple of scorched fingers and much cursing :rant::shutup: this was the result. There is a kink in one piece but it should give me something to work with, these will go down the exhausts of the F-14,

I've yet to decide how to display the MiG but because the rod is the smallest I was willing to risk (3mm) I don't think that the exhaust route is going to be an option. It all depends if I can reduce the diameter enough without compromising the strength too much.

CIMG2592_zps2b05c76e.jpg

Cheers for looking in guys, I know that the last few days of a GB can be hectic and appreciate your time.

• Like 1

Looks great and will be a super diorama!

Just wondering (future build in mind) where did you source the acrylic rod?

Cheers,

Dermot

Thanks Dermot, I'm looking forward to getting it finished now.

I sourced the acrylic rod from a company called Nest Plastics via Amazon (see link below) but you should also be able to find it on ebay. HTH

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nest-Plastics-Wholesale-POS-Co/dp/B007JUTC58/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1403628239&sr=8-2&keywords=acrylic+rod

• Like 1

Right folks, I'm calling the model building phase of this project done, the MiG-28 has had it's weapons added whilst the F-14 was given an oil wash to grubby things up a bit, the only previous experience I have had of this was on a model of Millenium Falcon that I did for my great-nephew. I think that I may have been a bit heavy handed with this but I will try again on a future build.

All I need to do now is assemble the diorama later today and that will see it finished. The base is about 90% done just looking for a suitable image to put in the frame/base, if I can't find anything then I will just give it coat of satin black.

A few shots follow showing the finished models and the progress made on the base up to now.

CIMG2594_zps311ab8dc.jpg

CIMG2595_zps1e542856.jpg

CIMG2596_zpsc0c087a9.jpg

CIMG2597_zps360f0c6c.jpg

CIMG2598_zpsea2f95d4.jpg

CIMG2599_zps09ed9f9d.jpg

Final update later and hopefully some better photos.

• Like 2

Well that's it done. When I started out, I wasn't sure if this would be possible but, with advice and encouragement plus the generosity of fellow Britmodellers I was able to see it through in the end. It has been a great Group Build and there are some fantastic completed models in the Gallery already, the builders of which have displayed brilliant skills and techniques I have not seen before. There have been some new challenges for me too, this has taken me outside my comfort zone and that is also what has made this a fun build to do.

Anyway here are some photos of the finished build. I will dig out the SLR later and take some better shots for the Gallery.

CIMG2600_zps50e2faa1.jpg

CIMG2604_zpsf6290035.jpg

CIMG2606_zpsed6771b9.jpg

CIMG2607_zpse05de875.jpg

CIMG2610_zps71f4016b.jpg

• Like 4