The data on the MiG is inaccurate - scene from Top Gun in 1/144th ++FINISHED++

I have been pondering what to do for this GB and most of the ideas I have had seem to have been picked up by other modellers. So wanting to do something different, today I hit on the idea of trying recreate the inverted scene from Top Gun using this

CIMG2393_zps3f055574.jpg

and for the fictitious MiG-28 this

3cfaf765-446f-452a-b43f-e9f3d6e6f7ee_zps

Well as I have never tried anything like this it's either going to be a complete b***s up or will look pretty good when and if I get it finished. It may turn out to be a bit too complex to complete in time but we will see how it goes. I still need to search for aircrew, suitable decals and then figure out how I am going to recreate the scene. :mental: :mental: All suggestions are welcome.

• Like 8

I've got a PDF with decal art work for the Top Gun F-14's and A-4's. It's scaled for 1/72, 1/48, 1/32 but you should be able to reduce it to suit 1/144.

You are welcome to a copy of the file if it is any help.

• Like 1

Now that is a cool idea, also it's got an F-5 in it, so it's even better! :D I'm really looking forward to watching this one progress. As for pilots, good luck ;) I've heard of people using the figures you get in the Dragon kits. Worth a shot I guess...

Looking forward to this one. :)

Kind Regards

Dazz

• Like 1

Now that is a cool idea, also it's got an F-5 in it, so it's even better! :D I'm really looking forward to watching this one progress. As for pilots, good luck ;) I've heard of people using the figures you get in the Dragon kits. Worth a shot I guess...

Looking forward to this one. :)

Kind Regards

Dazz

The only 1:144 scale seated pilots I've ever come across are from Ozmods; there's an eBay shop I've used that will ship from Australia the p&p isn't horrendous as they're so light. They look ok but I've yet to put any paint on so difficult to give definitive comment. The other option would be to get some standing figures in the right scale and give them a chop at the waist. I think there are some Prieser ones with their arm aloft if you wanted the right rio pose.

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone for their comments and support. It's a bit outside my comfort zone but whatever happens it should be fun and I am just going to enjoy trying to do this.

I've got a PDF with decal art work for the Top Gun F-14's and A-4's. It's scaled for 1/72, 1/48, 1/32 but you should be able to reduce it to suit 1/144.

You are welcome to a copy of the file if it is any help.

Scarlet, thanks for the offer this could be a good starting point. PM sent with contact details.

The only 1:144 scale seated pilots I've ever come across are from Ozmods; there's an eBay shop I've used that will ship from Australia the p&p isn't horrendous as they're so light. They look ok but I've yet to put any paint on so difficult to give definitive comment. The other option would be to get some standing figures in the right scale and give them a chop at the waist. I think there are some Prieser ones with their arm aloft if you wanted the right rio pose.

Great info Neal, thanks for that bud. I have sent for a set of the Prieser figures and also managed to find the Ozmods supplier on ebay so have a set of generic pilots and a couple of Russian pilots on there way too. I should be able to cobble something together out of that lot. :)

Ah, yes, but - that's Soviet-style Stealth technology for you, just like the 'space pen vs pencil' argument: the USA spends $ billions on developing radar-invisible, reduced-IR aircraft to fool the enemy, whereas the Soviets just used cheap-as-chips old American aeroplanes. Clever.

• Like 2

I've always wondered what happened to their respective tail fins in that scene...hope you don't have the same problem.

Good idea, I'll look forward to watching,

Dean

• Like 2

Can't wait. :yahoo:

I've always wondered what happened to their respective tail fins in that scene...hope you don't have the same problem.

Good idea, I'll look forward to watching,

Dean

"Greetings!" Should be awesome!

Thanks guys, hope I can pull it together. I need to wrap things up in the MiG-21 STGB and I am also waiting for delivery of some other items, then I can make a start.

Should be a little gem this!

I hope so Dave. I received the Preiser 1/144 figures a couple of days ago and the Ozmod sets are on the way. I just need to source some acrylic rod for displaying them and then figure out how I am going to bend it to shape. I'm sure there will be some info on here or failing that on'tinternet

I have to complete my MiG-21's (one in paint and one still to prime and paint), then I should be able to start after Easter - all being well.