Hasegawa 1/48 F-14A Iranian air force update 9-06-2014

Again some pictures of work done today.

Here are two pictures of the exhaust area. the first picture is after the first sanding and the second one to riffil it again with mr surfacer, because it wasn't enough the first time.

IMG_0234_zps4b629045.jpg

IMG_0235_zps2703cf6d.jpg

I have also been looking at the placement of the stabilisors. They were without modification hanging down and not at the right angel to the fuselage.

2 pictures of the insert I placed from some plastic rod.

IMG_0231_zps8e034ee1.jpg

IMG_0233_zps01ae94cf.jpg

And here is a picture after the glue hase cured and I could drill it out a bit to get the stabilisor to fit. As you can see there is not much left of the rod, but that tinnie bit is enough.

IMG_0238_zps4b583142.jpg

Here are two pictures of the stabilizor testfitted.

IMG_0236_zpse07f5850.jpg

IMG_0237_zps1de460b5.jpg

And here is the fuselage with the stabilisors, wing and rudders fitted for a test fit. That is more the look of it.

IMG_0239_zps37a0a81b.jpg

I have also done the first thing on the cockpit. But that is still to early to get some pictures.

Cheers and a happy easter weekend to everybody,

• Like 2

Thanks for the Easter wishes, I guess that this long weekend will be used by many here to build kits for the various Britmodeller group builds... :D

Starting to look like a Tomcat now, I like the many small and not so small improvements you're making on this model

• Like 1

Thanxs Giorgio for the nice comment.

I have just done a little bit today. I have finaly finished the exhaust cans by again a sanding session. Now they are given a coat of paint to se if they are now correct. We will have a look tonight after I get home from work.

No pictures of this, but you guys must be alread tierd of my pictures.

Further nothing done, because I have got no time today.

Hopefully I can do some work this weekend.

Cheers,

Great progress in recent times, Arnold.

I like your improvement to the stabilator mounts and your work overall. It's looking very Tomcat-like and I'm sure you'll be keen to get painting underway; I'm certainly keen to see how it develops.

Regards,

Andrew.

• Like 1

The progress in the build hase slowed down a bit. I have been bussy today with the cockpit. Mostly to get it to fit inside the fuselage.

I am getting there in the end. After that it will be to paint the cockpit. The most difficult part of this is that there are no instructions to say you what you need to remove from the fuselage. No foto's that are worth the build. Hopefully later on this week.

Cheers,

The progress in the build hase slowed down a bit. I have been bussy today with the cockpit. Mostly to get it to fit inside the fuselage.

I am getting there in the end. After that it will be to paint the cockpit. The most difficult part of this is that there are no instructions to say you what you need to remove from the fuselage. No foto's that are worth the build. Hopefully later on this week.

Cheers,

To get the aires pit to fit nicely, you need to remove the 'bumps' that protrude into the cockpit area from the boarding steps. Also shave back the sills at the sides of the cockpit, along with chopping down part of the cannon bay. You'll also need to trim back the small lip around the area where the pilots control panel coaming fits. Lastly, sand down the roof of the front landing gear bay as far as you dare! A good bit of work unfortunately!

• Like 1

To get the aires pit to fit nicely, you need to remove the 'bumps' that protrude into the cockpit area from the boarding steps. Also shave back the sills at the sides of the cockpit, along with chopping down part of the cannon bay. You'll also need to trim back the small lip around the area where the pilots control panel coaming fits. Lastly, sand down the roof of the front landing gear bay as far as you dare! A good bit of work unfortunately!

Luckely I have done already most of what you discribed. With a lot of dry fitting I am getting there. The right side is ok. I only need to do a few tweaks on the left and then she will be ready for some paint.

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec

Luckely I have done already most of what you discribed. With a lot of dry fitting I am getting there. The right side is ok. I only need to do a few tweaks on the left and then she will be ready for some paint.

Cheers,

It is an absolute pain to get to fit, a lot of work, but well worth it!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

After a few weeks of doing nothing on this model, I have finally managed to do some more work on here.

The cockpit fits now and I have made some changes to get a better fit later on in the build.

Here are some pictures of what hase been done.

the testfit of the cockpit inside the two fuselage halfs.

IMG_0310_zpsc0ca59b7.jpg

IMG_0311_zps7ee8ee5a.jpg

IMG_0312_zpsbde23868.jpg

There is still a gap in the front, but that is filled now with a piece of plastic.

Here are the two front fuselages modified with removing of the plastic wall where it will fit to the back fuselage. To get a good fit in the end I also put some plastic tabs inside the back fuselage.

IMG_0313_zpsbe3f7f95.jpg

IMG_0314_zps32bb209b.jpg

Here are two pictures of the testfit of this and I am quite pleased with it. :D

IMG_0315_zpscd89f769.jpg

IMG_0317_zps9d785bbf.jpg

I will do some more work on it this week. It will be mostly to get the cockpit ready for some painting and after that I can give it a lick of paint.

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec
  • Like 2

I have started to paint the cockpit yesterday with the interior colour. Today I have started to do some detail painting.

I hope I can finish the painting this weekend. I have also given the exhausts their first coat of paint.

I have no foto's jet.

Cheers,

Hi Guys and Giorgio :winkgrin: ,

Here are some pictures of the cockpit sofar. I still need to do some more detailpainting and glue the etch parts on it.

IMG_0320_zps47723f13.jpg

IMG_0326_zps523ae156.jpg

IMG_0325_zps1de4d83b.jpg

IMG_0324_zpsa5a0cf11.jpg

IMG_0323_zpse93c505c.jpg

IMG_0321_zps75c549c4.jpg

And also some painting was done on the Exhausts. I have painted them with a few different types of metal colour.

IMG_0319_zps0b975603.jpg

IMG_0318_zpsa0276121.jpg

That is it for today. Hope to do some more work tomorrow.

Cheers,

• Like 1

Thanxs guys.

I have finished the cockpit today. After some last detail painting and a little bit of oil wash. If you have watched more closely you will notice that the seats are missing. I will do these later on in the build.

Here are some pictures of the cockpit.

IMG_0327_zps0ec9fa6c.jpg

IMG_0328_zps9dcf5a2b.jpg

IMG_0329_zps944c0618.jpg

IMG_0330_zps5cf49ae6.jpg

IMG_0331_zps0a88971d.jpg

IMG_0333_zpsc0b21c7c.jpg

IMG_0334_zpscb3f306b.jpg

And here are two pictures with the 2 stations put on the tub.

IMG_0335_zpsc5d9c135.jpg

IMG_0337_zps370332c2.jpg

I hope to close the front fuselage this weekend and put it on the rest of the model.

Cheers,

• 2 weeks later...

Well it hase taken me some longer time to close the front and put it to the rear fuselage. But it is finaly done and the seam is not to bad in my opinion.

Here are two pictures.

the upside seam. I still need to do a little clean up here.

IMG_0737_zpsad26cf0b.jpg

And the underside. I used a small piece of scrap plastic as a tap to line the underplate better up with the rest of the fuselage. This now only needs a bit of Mr Surfacer 500 to blend it in.

IMG_0738_zpsfa84e4f1.jpg

After this I will place the nose cone and then she is prepared for some paint. I still need to clean up the wings etc. so it will still take me some time before I can power up the compressor.

Cheers,

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps I've missed the related post but, did you cut the bay for the IFR-probe open?

No IIAF/IRIAF F-14 is authenic if that bay is 'closed', i.e. if the doors for it are in their place...

Thanxs Tom for the details. I already new it about the IFR probe. I am going to make a early version just after they were in Iran, so the IFR probe still hase his hatch.

Here are also a few pictures of the progress. The nose is on and the exhausts are on.

IMG_0743_zps15b264f3.jpg

IMG_0745_zps35a1aa8e.jpg

IMG_0744_zpsb3c474f8.jpg

Cheers,

Sorry to bother: but there was no 'early version'. IFR-probe bay covers were removed already before delivery, i.e. in the USA. Reason: the 'Iron Maiden' IFR-baskets of USAF KC-135s (used to help deliver/transfer Iranian F-14s to Iran) tended to damage these doors: in some cases, the door would be ripped away and ingested into the engine, causing catastrophic damage. For the same reason, even the USN was removing these doors whenever cooperating with USAF tankers (USN tankers use 'soft' baskets).

The photo here was taken in January 1976, and is showing the first two F-14As (serials 3-6001 and 3-6002) minutes after their landing at Khatami AB (TFB.8, meanwhile renamed to Baba'ie AB) after their delivery flight from the USA. As can be seen, covers were removed already before that flight.

IIAFafirstF-14_jpg.jpg

Surely, all the 80 doors were eventually delivered to Iran, but have been stored ever since: they were never put to use because Beech 1080 IFR-pods used by Boeing 747-131Fs and Boeing 707-3J9Cs of the Iranian air force had the same 'Iron Maiden' baskets like USAF examples.