Airbus A400M 'Atlas' - Revell 1/72

...Not nerdy at all. I wish I had that ambition... and with kids to boot! Wow.

Awesome model, awesome video and awesome thread. I am amazed at the quality I see here and in other threads.

• Like 1

I've cranked up my old soldering iron and assembled the astable switch circuit. Good news is that it works! Although in a slightly different way than I thought, so it may be an overly complex solution (also the relay is quite noisy). Rather that providing an output voltage, it acts (rather as the name suggests) as a switch. The description on the box is slightly ambiguous in this regard... Anyway, I think I should be able to get the right sort of frequency and duration out of it, despite the period and duration settings not being completely independent. I'll post a photo and maybe even video, if I can figure out how to do that from the iPad.

Andrew

Here's the video:

https://flic.kr/p/mEw3RP

and a photo:

13563272463_0ac95124bd_c.jpg

Edited by Caution Wake Turbulence

This is awesome! So nice to see another one of these being built.

Where are you going to install the power cables on this? Your doing a much neater job on yours than I did mine. I should have used Warrens flasher unit for it if I'd had it at the time. Don't think I did.

You can use 2mm SMDs for the wing tip lights and they fit perfectly with minimal adjustments to be made.

How do you intend to represent the strobe on top? I've seen strobe units about on the net but have never actually used one.

Anyway, am enjoying the build! Your going to have fun with the wing roots too - lots of putty!

Si

Thanks Si. I have a vague plan in my head... something like the aircraft turning short final, flaps out, gear down etc, probably mounted on a hollow tube somehow. Probably a fairly steep turn, just to try and reduce the footprint of the model :). It'll need a fairly hefty base, so all the electronics/battery etc will probably be in there, with just the cables running up the tube.

As far as I can tell, there aren't any actually strobes as such, more like blinking lights really (seem to be about 1 Hz with a distict on-off, rather than a flash, if you know what I mean..) - two red beacons and three white anti-collision lights. My circuit above should be able to replicate this reasonably closely. I've got two - so that that red and white lights aren't synchronised. There are quite a few lights all told - as well as the red/green nav lights and anti-collision lights on the wingtips, I can also see steady white lights on the leading edge at the wingtips, a pair of landing/taxi lights at the front of each landing gear sponson, and at least two white lights on each side of the fwd fuselage (runway turnoff lights and wing lights, I'm guessing...). I can see other things that could also be lights, but I can't find any documentation to support this and they don't seem to be on in the air.

I've got a selection of LEDs and fibre optic strands, although no SMDs yet. I think there'll be quite a bit of trial and error involved in getting the right look - the fibre optics are quite directional, for example, not sure if there's a way to change that?

Andrew

It depends on how you want to change the direction of a fibre thread. You can make the entire end glow, including the sides, by sanding all around the circumference. Not quite sure to what effect you want to use them. They would be fine for the lights on the side of the body up front and even front landing gear. You can mask the fact they are fibre threads by incorporating the into the plumbing. You can make a right angle by heating one over a flame just the same way you would stretching or bending sprues. You could me run them through the gear by themselves seeing as they won't be taking any weight.

Speaking of which, your going to need a very hearty stand as this weighs a lot when finished, especially with lighting gear inside

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Not yet, I'm afraid. I'm much better at starting things than finishing them. Sorry.

Andrew

Don't worry Andrew I am the same.

I was brought back to your thread on Google search for A400M builds. Quite a few nice new What If types builds out the now.

I am thinking about starting one of mine and was looking for inspiration.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...