The Best Tip I Ever Heard From An Engineer

robvulcan

I once met a chap who was a retired engineer, He was an expert at milling machines and Lathes.

We got talking about modelling and the uses of these machines for modelling applications when he passed on the best tip / advice anyone could ever ask for and it certainly something we should all keep in mind when modelling.

He said:

"Always remember, The machine can't hear you scream ! "

• Like 4

Well I find it really does hit home why safety and planning are important. It makes the harsh truth really come into focus. It always comes to mind whenever I use a power tool now. Makes you appreciate the true nature of what you are dealing with.

Cheers Rob ;)

He is right. I've been around and using a 12" table saw for the past forty years and thankfully I haven't had an accident. I came close one day, when cutting fine strips of timer for someone for O guarge rail sleepers. The blade grabbed the timber and it shot down the throat of the table, the crack/bang sent me scurrying from my workshop (garage) into the garden. The time between leaving the garage and arriving in the garden, I couldn't rmember!

I've had a couple of other close shave too...

Colin

• Like 1

Scary indeed. Things that spin fast and have various sharp fittings in are particularly nasty. I discovered once its not fair to tell your mate a good joke while he is soldering ! He was laughing but got the back of his hand instead of the wire.

Good advice; but they do know the most inconvenient time to break down :banghead:

The best advice I ever got from an engineer ( my grandfather );

"you'll never get rich or famous in engineering boy!"

I'm still trying though :D

• Like 4

Good advice; but they do know the most inconvenient time to break down :banghead:

The best advice I ever got from an engineer ( my grandfather );

"you'll never get rich or famous in engineering boy!"

I'm still trying though :D

Tell that to Tony Stark

• Like 3

my dad used to take me to work when i was young during the summer holidays and give me bits to dismantle (smash to smithereens). i Love machines etc and have been in engineering since i left school 35 years ago.

its the one thing i wish he HAD NOT done for me :-( I am no Tony Stark :weep:

Remember that all safety rules is written with blood. The only one watching out that you're not getting hurt is yourself. Assumption is the mother of all F... ups.... I could get on forever

Working professional with chain saws and heavy machinery every day is going to make yourself careful. A Forrest far away from public roads is not the place you want to get hurt.

Besides that, most insurances wont cover you, if you decide to deliberate disregard safety percussions precautions Cant spell either.

Edited by hgbn

One of the many safety precautions for using pillar drills/lathes/grinding /polishing machines etc. is not to talk to the operator while he's using it. A split second of lost concentration is lethal.

• Like 2

The 'ting' sound as a circular saw blade hits bone is not something you ever forget! Hopefully the idiot that 'helped' me make that sound will never again come up behind someone using a circular saw and shout 'boo'!

Notice that all the bad language in my head at this point has been removed before I post! :-) :-) :-)

• Like 1

The 'ting' sound as a circular saw blade hits bone is not something you ever forget! Hopefully the idiot that 'helped' me make that sound will never again come up behind someone using a circular saw and shout 'boo'!

Notice that all the bad language in my head at this point has been removed before I post! :-) :-) :-)

That's close ! I hope to hammered him into the ground ;)